+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do To Fix This Situation?

What Would You Do To Fix This Situation?

here's my problem... (this is long... get your coffee and get comfortable. )

i work in a suite with 6 other people. the lawyer i work for and i just rent out space in the suite and have been here for a little over a year, but don't really have much to do with the other people. our work is completely separate. there are 4 real estate brokers and their secretary/receptionist, charlotte, my boss and me.

charlotte is usually a really chatty woman. i mean, seriously... you can't ask her what's up in passing without her having to stop you for a 15 minute conversation. she's in her early 60s and is really kinda quirky, but she's always been fine (although a bit annoying) in the past. then suddenly, one day about 3 weeks ago, she was just mad. i mean, really pissed of. and makes no efforts to be even moderately cordial. it was odd... but i chalked it up to moodiness and let it go.

well, this has just gotten progressively worse. i mean, to the point where she will go to office supply (part of her job) without asking if we need anything (also part of her job). so our supplies are running out, and i'm too nervous to ask her to get us stuff... and i went into the fax room 2 days ago to pick up a fax that i knew was there for me. she had it in her hand, turned to leave and i said, "charlotte, i believe that fax is for me," and she THREW it on the counter and left. wtf?!! she's like a ticking time bomb!

so i talk to my boss about it for the nth time b/c i'm the one that it seems most directed at. and he talks to one of the brokers, and we're all stumped. my boss goes out later and says, "charlotte, why are you so angry? are you ok?" she says, "i'm not angry." really curtly. won't even look at him. "he said, "you seem angry. is something wrong?" she replies, "nothing's wrong. nobody cares about me. doesn't matter."

uh....

this morning when i get in, my boss says, "i know why she's mad. we forgot her birthday."

oooooops.

it was october 10th. but here's the bitch of it... she doesn't work with us. we are completely separate of her. we just rent space, though admittedly, we are always friendly to her - and b/c she has a jerkoff of a boss, MY boss will bring her a candy box on valentine's as he does for me, a little gift for xmas as he does for me, and will invite her to come along on MY birthday and assistant's day lunches THOUGH SHE DOESN'T WORK WITH US!!! and he does all of this b/c we know that her boss won't.

and why was she NOT mad for the week after her birthday? why was there a one week grace period before she got so pissed off?

so, now her birthday has passed completely unacknowledged and she is laughing and talking to ALL of the other brokers in the office as WELL as her ass of a boss who she HATES, but will barely speak to loren and will not even be cordial to me! and EVERYONE else in the office ALSO forgot her birthday!!!! not just me!

sooooooooo - i do feel bad that i forgot. i do. i mean, i would have gotten her a card and a little something from my boss and i to just acknowledge it had i known. she told loren (my boss) that she dropped PLENTY of hints - though he and i don't remember even one.

he said, "i told her i'm sorry." but she blew him off.

do i apologize? do i get her a belated birthday card and a cupcake or something? or do i just letter her simmer down as she is CLEARLY not mentally stable?!

what would you do?

What a big stinking baby! If I were you, I'd *like* to tell her to grow the hell up but I guess that wouldn't work. Since you have to see her everyday and she's obviously a complete nutter, I'd probably just tell her I didn't pick up on her 'hints' and that I'm sorry her feelings were hurt. I wouldn't apologize for not getting her anything, though. I am mad on your behalf at crazy lady
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Just let her simmer down. Getting her something after your boss got it out of her wouldn't help.

take her out to lunch and make sure the waiter puts Paxil in her food?

I guess what you do depends on how seriously you feel need to get along with this woman. If a smooth office with everyone being happy is important, taking her out to lunch and apoligising may be in order even if you, I and most people will think you did nothing wrong. (she may have expected more from you and your boss then she expects from her own therefore you guys forgetting is a bigger deal) Or do nothing, let her act like a pain and ignore it. Frankly I don't think you did anything wrong and she is overreacting. But sometimes keeping the peace is worth an apoligy and the price of lunch.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

she IS crazy! i mean, how freakin' weird it this??!! but yeah... the hostility in the office between her and loren and i is just really uncomfortable. and i want to smooth things out so i don't have to feel that weird ugh feeling every time i pass her - which is frequently b/c she is at the reception desk! i have to pass her every time i need to run to the deli or the restroom or to make copies or to pick up a fax! it's really just jacked up!

and i have been doing the kill 'em with kindness thing for the entire almost MONTH now that she's been this way, until yesterday. i figure i would say "morning" when i walk in and "good night" when i leave. but that's been it.

oh yeah... there's no way i could spend an entire lunch sitting with this woman without the comfort of my boss to make conversation.

so that's out.

but how about a belated birthday card?

and i just want to say - it actually kinda pisses me off even more b/c she KNOWS i have issues with my short term memory! and it's not my fault! hell, maybe she DID tell me it was her birthday and i coulda forgotten by the time i got back to my office!

though i don't think that happened.

I'm sorry but I just think the way she is behaving is unprofessional and she should be called out for that.

Birthdays are second to how an office is run and a 60 year old woman needs to realize that or be told so.
    Who shot who in the what now?

....eurysm

oh... but i need something to happen. i need some office supplies.
    Last edited by sher; 11-13-2003 at 11:18 AM.

Princess
    As silly as it is... get her a "belated happy birthday"-card, and apologise.
    just my 2c

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy
    "take her out to lunch and make sure the waiter puts Paxil in her food"
    good one , but sheesh I agree what a baby. Get her the card , apologize , and roll those eyes walking away.
    Since you can't fire her, I guess you do have to find a way to get along. How unprofessional though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast