+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do To Fix This Situation?

I would draw her aside and tell her that you are sorry for forgetting her birthday, but that her behavior makes you worry that something else is going on with her. I wouldn't get her anything now -- it's too late, IMO. Anyway, she's psycho if she can hold a grudge this big for this long over such a small thing.
    Then I'd wait a couple of days and give her a list of supplies you need. If she's not going to get over it, that's her problem -- she still needs to do her job.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    SINCE you have to have a working relationship first I would handle it professionally. Take a deep breath and pick a down time and make a concise but firm confrontation. Not provoking, but to the point. Charolette, first I want to apologize if I hurt your feelings. ( Side note here) : Even though she is acting like a baby and it was not your responsibility to remember her birthday, she still managed to get her feelings hurt. Maybe she viewed you of all the people as her friend. Feelings are not always the truth but they are real. She really does have hurt feelings even though it is not true that you wanted to forget her birthday or should have remembered it.
    Back to the point. Since she does have hurt feelings ask her point blank if you hurt them. Then apologize if you did. Don't get sappy or overdo it, just be sincere. Then tell her you wish she would have come to you as a professional and a friend (using the friend term loosely) because it has really made you worry and it has put stress on the work environment. Tell her that again you would never do it intentionally and then drop it. Then tell her you would like to start fresh so that the you can do your job as you are supposed to and that with tension that is there you can't. Tell her you need these office supplies. Then the next day just pick up a small treat, and leave it on her desk w/a happy note and drop it after that. If she can't get over it after you did your best then it is her problem and if she won't do her job professionally then deal with that part. That is how I would handle it but I am kind of confrontational when it comes to stuff.

Hottest person in a room! HottieP's Avatar
    I would just say "I am sorry that I was unaware of your birthday. I hope that you had a good one" and maybe get her a card or something. If she still acts all pissy, then I would just drop it and act totally normal again towards her, being that she would be the one with the problem.

HottieP!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Hottest person in a room! HottieP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    HottieP!
    THANKS! I am one of those RTVPers, but I will not try to cause trouble! I promise!

Hug me!
    tell your boss to fire her.

at these days and ages.. having attitude just doesn't cut off.. plently of other people are looking for jobs.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

Quote Originally Posted by RubenFan#205
    tell your boss to fire her.

at these days and ages.. having attitude just doesn't cut off.. plently of other people are looking for jobs.

That's part of the problem. Her boss isn't in charge of that person. They just share a building.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

we are in no way related to her workwise... though since we pay rent and pay a portion of the monthly office supplies, she has to get them for us.

i just hate freakin' conflict so badly. the idea of actually confronting her and her attitude, even sincerely, just gives me the heebie jeebies. that's why i was thinking a card, where i could write that i'm sorry without doing the face time.

Belated Birthday card all the way. Why? Because as Nancy said, if the most important thing is the peace, then it seems that this emotional woman needs some placating. You aren’t wrong, the card is just a tool. Is it right that you have to have a tool? No. But she sounds like she’s not gonna budge, and if a two dollar card is worth you not feeling “bleh” when you walk towards the office door, then it’s two dollars well spent. So yeah, you’re placating someone who’s acting very childish, but you’re doing this more for you in the end. And besides, most of us spend more time at work than we do with our families and friends, so having that chunk of time filled with feelings of "yuck" and "ugh" is no bueno.

So I say either get the card, or find an elaborate route to the bathroom via the heating ducts.

FORT Regular
    I think you should just confront her and ask her exactly what the problem is and why she is so hostile to you. Either she'll tell you or realize her behaviour is completely inappropriate. She needs to be reminded by her boss that she is at work and while her family may put up with this but nobody in a business environment needs to.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

+ Reply to Thread