+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Pick and Choose

  1. #1
    Hypermediocrity Amanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,925

    Pick and Choose

    Greenie and I were having a conversation this morning about how we both have digital cable, but end up not watching the vast majority of the channels offered. We thought it would make a lot more sense if people were given the option to decide which channels we want, instead of being given some pre-determined package. So I'm wondering, what networks can you guys not live without? If the cable companies wised up and implemented this idea, which choices would make their way to your set?

    Mine would be:
    All the networks, even the WB.
    ESPN
    MSG
    YES (The Yankees channel)
    CNN/Headline News/MSNBC...or whatever. Some news network. Preferably not Fox News, though. (Just my opinion.)
    All the different Discovery Channels, most notably Discovery Science
    MTV
    VH1
    E! (Shush. I need to know what Paris Hilton is up to.)
    TLC
    The Travel Channel
    The Food Network (I won't live in a world that doesn't include Iron Chef.)
    HBO (and HBO2, HBO Signature, HBO Comedy, etc.)
    The History Channel.
    Whatever channel it is that shows TechTV. (I have to throw my boyfriend a bone now and then.)
    PBS, but solely for the Antique Roadshow

    Other than those, I'm done. So why am I paying 8 billion dollars a month for all these other channels I don't watch? Sheesh.

    Anyway, do tell. I want to know what you guys must have.

  2. #2
    Hypermediocrity Amanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,925
    You know, I just saw Eny's thread. Very similar. Merge? No merge? I'll leave it to the mods in their infinite wisdom.

  3. #3
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    I don't get a lot of channels on my crappy cable system (and we got rid of direcTV), but here are the channels I'd LIKE to have or keep:

    ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/WB
    MTV/VH1
    DSC/APL/FX/FOOD/E!/TLC/TRV/CNN
    HBO/MAX/SHO
    TBS/TNN/Spike/WGN

    That's pretty much it.

  4. #4
    RESIDENT JEDI MASTER Stargazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On a Rocky Mountain High
    Age
    38
    Posts
    11,928
    Hmm. Let's just say I already have any channel I want and leave it at that.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

    "I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

  5. #5
    For Your Entertainment lobeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,903
    God bless TiVo and Dish Network is all I can say. If I could pick my networks, I'd probably go with:

    ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/WB
    CNN
    BBC America
    MTV/VH1 (though I haven't really watched either in ages)
    Food Network
    TLC
    Discovery Channel/Discovery Health Channel
    History Channel
    E!
    Animal Planet
    HGTV
    A&E
    Bravo
    ESPN

    I'm sure there are others that I'm just not thinking of right now...

  6. #6
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Hmm. Let's just say I already have any channel I want and leave it at that.


    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

  7. #7
    Why Not Us? greenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shhh it's a secret
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,420
    All right, umm lemme see here. . . .

    All major networks, but not WB
    ESPN
    TLC
    The Superstation one that gives you all the 80s movies on the weekend
    MTV
    E!
    VH1
    Animal Planet
    HGTV
    FOOD
    HBO
    New England Sports Network
    Bravo
    A&E

    And yea that's it. Simple really.
    Who shot who in the what now?

  8. #8
    Premium Member FinallyHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Mine would be:
    All the networks, even the WB.
    ESPN
    MSG
    YES (The Yankees channel)
    CNN/Headline News/MSNBC...or whatever. Some news network. Preferably not Fox News, though. (Just my opinion.)
    All the different Discovery Channels, most notably Discovery Science
    MTV
    VH1
    E! (Shush. I need to know what Paris Hilton is up to.)
    TLC
    The Travel Channel
    The Food Network (I won't live in a world that doesn't include Iron Chef.)
    HBO (and HBO2, HBO Signature, HBO Comedy, etc.)
    The History Channel.
    Whatever channel it is that shows TechTV. (I have to throw my boyfriend a bone now and then.)
    PBS, but solely for the Antique Roadshow
    Mine would be about the same except I would add:
    Bravo
    Sundance
    IFC Independent Film Channel
    HGTV
    DIY
    The outdoor channel
    USA
    TNT
    the 2 above for the occasional crappy movie to kill a few hours
    Noggin - for my daughters
    VH1 classics
    CMT (country music stars are much better looking than pop stars. I'll Take Shania over Britney any day)
    I would take Fox News - I like my news slanted towards my point of view.
    And I wouldn't bother w/ YES. (Met Fan here )
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

  9. #9
    Hypermediocrity Amanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Hmm. Let's just say I already have any channel I want and leave it at that.
    Right. So do I. What I'm saying is that I also have a bunch I don't bother watching, and I'm paying to have this package of useless channels. So, if you could choose to only have certain ones, which would they be?

  10. #10
    RESIDENT JEDI MASTER Stargazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On a Rocky Mountain High
    Age
    38
    Posts
    11,928
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Right. So do I. What I'm saying is that I also have a bunch I don't bother watching, and I'm paying to have this package of useless channels. So, if you could choose to only have certain ones, which would they be?

    I'll just list my favorites

    All networks, including WB and UPN (just in case of a Buffy special)
    CNN
    History Channel
    Travel Channel
    Discovery Channels
    TLC
    SciFi Channel
    Noggin
    Movie Channels
    Last edited by Stargazer; 11-13-2003 at 11:29 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

    "I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.