+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team up with FoRT to fight cancer!

Team up with FoRT to fight cancer!

Hey everyone!

We all know people who are living with, have recovered from, or have passed away due to cancer. It is the second leading cause of death in the United States, and is rapidly on its way to becoming the first. So many of us have been affected by this horrible disease, but don’t know what to do to help find a cure.

Well, here’s your chance to team up with other members of FoRT to help find a cure for cancer.

There is an amazing project funded by The University of Oxford called The United Devices Cancer Research Project. You might have heard of similar projects, where you volunteer your PC to help process data. In this case, it is helping find a cure for cancer.

The program runs as a screen saver, and only runs when the computer is not being used (you can have it run all the time, which I do, but the default is to only run as a screen saver). I have been running the program for over a year, and I have never had any problems with it. It is completely self-automated.

I “spoke” with John, and he agreed this would be a great idea for members of FoRT to team together and make a difference in the fight against cancer, so I have created a FansOfRealityTV.com team!

The website for the project is at http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer

There, you can read about the project and download the program. Just click on Download Now! and it will walk you through the process. After registering, you can join the team! Just go to the “member services” section of the website, then click on the “teams” link on the left sidebar. Search for FansOfRealityTV.com and then join!

Join up and let’s defeat cancer!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

This is good news for cancer victims. How does the screensaver work for this?

Quote Originally Posted by haejin11377
    This is good news for cancer victims. How does the screensaver work for this?
    It runs a program called LigandFit which is looking to match protein targets and potential therapies.

From the website:

Quote Originally Posted by Grid.org
    LigandFit explores the 3-dimensional position each molecule might adopt. Each new position of the molecule may help the right parts of the molecule interact with the protein target. LigandFit does this very fast-so fast your monitor can't show every conformation. The total number of conformations differs molecule to molecule. Some molecules may have more bonds or flexibility, and thus will have more conformers.
    The screensaver shows the proteins rotating while it (behind the scenes) tries to match targets with drugs.

When you download the screensaver, it downloads the first chunk of data. When it has processed the data, it automatically sends the results back to grid.org and downloads the next set.

It's a phenomenal project!

Oh, everyone, I forgot to say it's free! So come on and help kick cancer's butt!

Leo
    Premium Member
    Just one question: is this something I can run even if I'm not always connected to the Internet (i.e., on dial-up)?

Absolutely! It will download the first chunk of data when you download the program; when it finishes that one it will just wait until you connect to the internet again, and then it automatically sends the results and downloads the next set. It takes about a week to finish a data chunk, and it will wait however long until you connect again And the data set isn't that big; it won't drain your bandwidth or anything.

It's absolutely zero-maintenance

Here's a direct link to the team page; it will also walk you through the process

http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...6-81F7CC6E952A

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I joined chiro punkin, mostly because of you and of course because it serves a very worthwihle purpose. I remember one of my co-workers did something like this.

:
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Help chiro! Pm me or something cause I am definitely doing something wrong. It keeps asking for my password and I can't figure out how to register.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast