+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Its early but plans needed to trim the tree

Its early but plans needed to trim the tree

Okay, I know its early but the stores all have the holiday decorations going up. I'm looking for interesting, unusual christmas tree ornaments. Any ideas?

When I was a wedding/event planner, I also decorated trees for Christmas (which makes you incredibly grumpy about decorating your own, so I don't recommend it). Anyway, I've found that you can decorate a tree with almost anything and make it look good. If you collect something(dolls, airplanes, baseball memorabilia) try decorating a tree with it. It usually comes out looking really cool and unique.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Last year was actually the first time I'd had a tree in many many years and thankfully my decor was still interesting to me...completely gold and black (my mother gave in and did handmade quilted black/gold/red ornaments for me as well as a black/gold tree skirt) with all my ornaments either being handmade or celestial themed. I'm a little bit burned out on the celestial stuff this year so I'm not quite sure what mine is going to be, I'm thinking something purple and silver but I haven't been out to see what's there yet.

By the way, I have decided it's not too early as on Halloween night my assistant at work decided to put up his Christmas tree and all his lights. I was laughing, but if the stores can mix it with the Halloween decor now I guess it's fair game.

I like old fashioned trees. Unfortunately kids would eat it all so I can't have one until they are old enough to keep their sticky fingers off. But here is a sampler: Real gingerbread cookies baked for tree, popcorn strings, apples, handmade traditional ornaments (for example straw angels and yarn christmas elves) and flag strings (I guess this is more of a scandinavian thing, having flags from all over the world or your home country on a string adorning your tree), maybe cranberries or mountain ash berries on string. Real christmas tree candles in those old fashioned clip on holders are awesome, but impossible with kids. Maybe some day
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

FORT Fogey
    Well, depending on what your house is like I love to have several trees around my house. Small and large w/themes for the different rooms.

My daughter has a pink fake tree with all kinds of princess ornaments, angels, and snowmen. The garland is all her play jewelry necklaces and the top is a princess crown. I use a feather boa as the tree skirt. The tree is not very big and it is in her play room it is really cute.

I have a tree in the family room that is decorated w/nostalgic toys and has sort of an old world look with old toys etc decorating the mantle too. That is a real tree!

The living room has a huge tree w/sort of a gold/plum/ivory look. I use yards of sheer fabric for garland, real looking birds, magnolias,grapes and other sugared fruit. It has tons of lights and it is sittting in a huge urn.

One year we put a tree in the entry way upside down like a chandalier. It was really cool w/the lights and stuff on it. I think it would look better over a table though so you can appreciate the effect.

Find anything you like or collect and use it as ornaments.

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    My daughter has a pink fake tree with all kinds of princess ornaments, angels, and snowmen. The garland is all her play jewelry necklaces and the top is a princess crown. I use a feather boa as the tree skirt. The tree is not very big and it is in her play room it is really cute.
    That sounds so freakin cute FG!!! I can picture it now and almost wish I was a kid again so I could have something like it.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks Libra it is really cute.. there are little pink fairy lights on it too and she always adds her play jewelry as more ornaments and of course some of the ornaments are fairies and ballerinas.
    I will try to take a pic this year when we put it up!

Princess
    Tirlittan, are you Scanidnavian (I'm Swedish)? I like the trees to be just like you describe! Especially I'm very fond of the real candles
    (A tip for anyone who haven't tried: apples are really good to hang at the tip of the branches to weigh them down (and they should be shiny and red, of course).)

I ramble...
    That pink tree sounds SOOOOO cute. I have a little boy so I'm IMing all my friends with girls to tell them about it. Hmmmm wonder if I could do something like this for my little boy's room.... hmmmmm he's four (well will be on Monday). hmmmm... Brainstorming.

FORT Fogey
    My family does the usual ornament + lights thing. But we have an interesting tradition- my moms family sends each other ornaments each year. So on Chrismas Eve when we eat dinner, we open presents from my Grandma and Aunt and my Mom. My mom is collecting all of the ornaments my brother and I get so we have some when we move out on our own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast