+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Its early but plans needed to trim the tree

But... part of the fun is to walk into a forest (well, or field of trees as it is nowadays) with a saw, (after walking through the stand twice or sometimes three times just to be sure) cut the perfect one down and drag it home
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    My family does the usual ornament + lights thing. But we have an interesting tradition- my moms family sends each other ornaments each year. So on Chrismas Eve when we eat dinner, we open presents from my Grandma and Aunt and my Mom. My mom is collecting all of the ornaments my brother and I get so we have some when we move out on our own.
    I have always done a similar thing for my kids. On the day we put up the tree (usually about two weeks before Christmas) we also hang the stockings. That night "Santa" leaves a new ornament in each of the kids' stocking. Each kid has a theme that I decided on when they were little - animals, Santas, angels. This way they have a set of ornaments to take with them when they move out and they will have memories associated with each.

One reason I started this was because when I moved out and had my first tree, I felt quite traumatized and sad because all of my familiar, loved ornaments were at my mom's house being put up by my nephew!

I'm reviving this thread because I need advice. I'm having Christmas dinner at my house for the first time. I've been giving thought to the menu mostly, when it struck me that I need a look for the table. I looked in the IKEA catalog (just 'cause it was there and I'm lazy) but mostly saw what I didn't want to do. Any table decorators out there with advice?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm sure Firegirl will come to the rescue...she has really good ideas!

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I'm reviving this thread because I need advice. I'm having Christmas dinner at my house for the first time. I've been giving thought to the menu mostly, when it struck me that I need a look for the table. I looked in the IKEA catalog (just 'cause it was there and I'm lazy) but mostly saw what I didn't want to do. Any table decorators out there with advice?
    Is it a sit-down or buffet-style dinner?

I have a bunch of mismatched christmas plates that I have found over the years at garage sales and Goodwill. With a handful of mismatched fancy silverware and stemwear to boot. I usually set those out and tie the whole table together with matching linens and some inexpensive gold chargers to go under the dinner plate. (Try Ross, Marshalls or Pier 1). Works every time and I get lots of compliments when everyone sits down and realizes their place setting is different than everyone else's. Instead of dredging through the stores, ask around to neighbors, family, and friends if you may borrow theirs, then mix them up!

You can do the same thing if it is buffet too, but no chargers.

Centerpieces are a pain at sit-down dinners, IMHO. How about a small artificial tree (maybe 12-18 inches high) with small favors/ornaments for the guests hanging on it for them to take home once the party is over? I have a very pretty wreath that I usually hang on my door. One year, I laid it on the table and put a pretty candle in the center. Voila!

Hope this helps!

a tree idea for anyone who likes flowers:
    I had a ton of dried roses and flowers from my dating and early marriage days that I kept in a large basket. I decorated my tree with them. Dried baby's breath looks awesome next to little white lights! Gave it an old-fashioned look without looking Victorian. There are some really pretty silk flowers out there too. Why not decorate your tree with them and once Christmas is over, make a nice arrangement for the house?
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

FORT Fogey
    What does your china look like? Are you using china or other stuff??

If you have a table cloth then this is always fun. Put several different height tupperware or strudy small boxes upside down spaced around the table. Put the table cloth over the boxes. This works best if you have a long table. Now you have little covered pedestals of different shapes. Now take your shorter candle sticks of any kind but make sure they can hold a pillar candle and get some fake or real which ever you want greenery and drape it around the candle stick put your candle on top and put some christmas ribbon around the candle. put a couple of these on top of one of the boxes and use sticks of various height. for the center if you are not placing the turkey there, then get a cake stand any kind and sugar a bunch of various fruit, from brown and yellow pears to pomegranites, grapes, apples etc.. stack the fruit all around on the cake stand let the grapes drape over the edge you can use toothpicks to hold things on top of eachother if you need to. You could place a group of different size pillar candles in the middle or just one big tall one with several wicks. Use the other boxes that are covered by the cloth to place your various dishes on before and after you have served. Because fall food is soo pretty it looks good on the table and by putting it at various heights it is a great look. If you dont' want to do all that, then go to your local craft store, Hobby Lobby, type place and buy 1 or 2 depending on your table length long fall garlands. They should have some leaves and probably pumpkins acorns stuff like that on them then buy a few fall "picks" small branches with flowers,pumpkins or whatever on them. Stretch out the garland on your table then tuck in the picks where it needs to look more full. Be sure to fluff out your garland as well bend the leaves and flowers and fruit so they are open and not all smushed together. Now place lots of little votive candles along the length of the garland then you can also place your serving dishes on top as well and it looks great.

If you have trifle dishes or hurricanes you can fill them with those mini jack pumpkins about a third of the way full then top the rest with ears of indian corn and let the corn husk stick out the top of the vase or hurricane. It looks really pretty that way..
    I also like to just use pillar candle holders and place fruit or pumpkins on top and pile different fruit candles of various sizes and greenery around the middle it looks great that way. Use candle holders for more than just holding a candle.

You can find all that stuff pretty inexpensive at places like TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, Hobby Lobby or other outlet type places. It is ok to buy mismatching candle sticks just try to keep w/finishes that match. If you want to make fun place card holders you can cut a slit in the mini jacks and place a card in it for each persons seat , an apple works too. Sometimes just a great charger under each plate w/a place card on top of the dinner plate looks great. It could be fun to find mini frames and put a photo of the family from a former thanksgiving in each one and put it on the plates as a little favor?? I could go on and on and on.... sorry!

These are great ideas!

Let's see...I wanted to use my great-grandma's china; it's white with little tiny pink roses & gold on the rims. It's not very Christmasey but it's very pretty. I like the idea of chargers. My table is more casual than formal, so I like the idea of a tablecloth to "up" the occasion. I also have some all white dishes I could use instead of the china. Hmmm...I do want to have it a sit-down dinner, not a buffet.

We have Tuesday Morning but I haven't been in there in ages - thanks for bumping my memory. Gosh, I like the Christmas plates that are all different idea but I don't have any! We always end up somewhere else on Christmas. I'm so thrilled to be at home this year.

Thanks you guys!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    Well if you haven't been to Tuesday morning lately get goin girlfriend! They probably have tons of great table wear right now and holiday stuff too!
    Don't worry about your china not being holiday. No big deal! Also you could probably pick up gold chargers pretty inexpensive then make that along w/green your sort of Christmas colors for the table. Lots of candles of various height are someting I love big fat ones! I bet it will be gorgeous!!

Well, I'm bringing back this thread because I just got my tree done.

Yes, I'm one of those late tree trimmers. Actually the tree has been up for several days (fake one, was going to get a real one but ran out of steam) The girls have been putting the orniments they like on it but I finished up last night. I must say it looks pretty good considering it's a hodge podge tree. I got a small tree for the girls room that they have their disney orniments on.

We have a million orniments. Ok, maybe not that many but since 1980 my mother in law has been buying my husband a Hallmark orinment each year. When she realised she wasn't going to get rid of me, she started buying me one each year. Then we had the kids...she tends to buy them 2 or 3 each year depending on what they are really into. One year she bought them each about 10 Disney orniments from a different company. Plus the stray orinments you get from people for different events (new home, new babies, places visited) zPlus all the wonderful homemade ones from those made with noodles or popsulce sticks to knitted or cross stitched. We have ice skating raindeer; Santa's doing everything from drinking coke, to skiing to boating; we have several angels; lambs; shepards, Barney; Harry Potter; Barbie.... many Barbie; American Girl; Copper Cowboys. kitties; puppies and of course the holiday faveratie....Captin Kirk from Star Trek. As you can tell there is no theme.

Now, I just got to finish putting stuff out, got the buffet all cleaned and ready to decorate. Got the Christmas cards hanging. Got the Poinstatias up. Gee, I may be done by Christmas day. :santasmil
    Last edited by nlmcp; 12-21-2003 at 08:12 AM.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I just had to share these ornaments I bought the other day. I was talking to my daughter about how fun it would be to have some realistic-looking icicles to hang on the tree. The next day, MSN's home page had an ad for some at overstocks.com. I ordered them, they got here in TWO days, and they are gorgeous! Look exactly like ice.

Here's the link: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=550216
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast