+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Condiment

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    anyone ever do everything with Nuc Mam sauce? Thats a veitnamese fish sauce ?
    I think Shazzer mentioned it, senrik, so she might be better equipped to answer your question.

I used to buy fresh Vietnamese rice flour rolls (damn...what are those things called???) that had dried onion flakes, and little shrimps embedded in them, and I used to lightly drizzle the rolls with fish sauce and lots and lots of finely-sliced red chilis and scallions. Yum!!! It was even better when I served the whole thing up with a side of stir-fried Chinese mushrooms.

Sometimes I would also dip traditional Chinese spring rolls in fish sauce, even though fish sauce does taste better with the more delicately-flavoured Vietnamese spring rolls.

I don't recall ever using it in Pho or Hu Tieu (the soups for which Vietnamese cuisine is know for.) But then again, I'm not a big eater of Vietnamese food. :dontknow

Oh, and I forgot to mention this: never used the fish sauce straight out of the bottle as a condiment. You're supposed to dilute it first with warm water, and balance the saltiness with wine vinegar and sugar. Some also add in minced garlic.

But if you're not using it as a condiment, but in cooking...well, I have no clue as to what kind of dishes you would use it in or what not. Although I have made fried rice with it (and lots of garlic, shallots, and chilis) when I ran out of black bean sauce, and it didn't taste bad at all. I had to squeeze in a bit of lime juice, though, or else the anchovie taste would be too overpowering.

Mmm...now I really am hungry. We got back from a party at 2 and were foolish enough not to eat dinner beforehand. My roomie is munching happily on a bag of raw snow peas as we speak. Does she not even miss real food?

I am so not rooming with her next semester.

Let me first say that I think this thread ROCKS!

I happen to prefer Thai fish sauce, Tiparos brand. I think it has a less pungent aroma but more refined flavor than most. Hoisin sauce is awesome mixed with peanut butter. And what's up with the wasabi-hatin', that is good stuff that packs a punch!

I also love hot sauces, any kind. I used to go to a store that was all hot sauces from around the country and all over the world. I love to collect the bottles too, some of them are pretty funny/inventive (I have one called "Spank My A** and Call Me Sally" and "Hot B*tch on the Beach).

The following are a list of other condiments I must have in the house at all times. If I'm out of any of these, I get nervous.

Kikkoman Soy Sauce
    Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard
    Beaver Sweet Hot/Honey Mustard
    Red Rooster Louisiana Hot Sauce
    Cholula Hot Sauce
    Lee & Perrins Worcesteshire Sauce
    A1 Steak Sauce
    HP Sauce
    Best Foods Mayonnaise
    Creamed Horseradish (any brand)
    Maple Syrup (any brand as long as it's A grade)
    Only Heinz Ketchup (my husband will gag at anything else)
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I like vinegar and mustard

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Oh and also, about when I'm out on my own, the funny thing is that I want to be a pastry chef and that means lots of sugars and colories... man I'm gonna be so fat. But happy and fat.
    Ah, well, as long as you're happy!

The hottest condiment I ever tasted was this hot chili paste that my FIL brought back from Tunisia. Cowabunga!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Rab
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
    I like vinegar and mustard
    Lol I can't stand mustard but soy sauce is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I think Shazzer mentioned it, senrik, so she might be better equipped to answer your question.

I don't recall ever using it in Pho or Hu Tieu (the soups for which Vietnamese cuisine is know for.) But then again, I'm not a big eater of Vietnamese food. :dontknow
    well in fairness, I do it with garlic cloves, red chili flake, sugar, rice vinegar, and lime in a mixture called Nuoc Cham.

Life's too short to eat bad food.... anyone who wants the proportions... PM me.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

No one has mentioned Oyster Flavoured Sauce, which I use on some Oriental dishes.

More commonly, I like to use Ketchup, especially after I found out tomato has substances which help to reduce risk of heart disease. Taste good and good for you; not many things in life can be both.
    Last edited by Bill747; 11-07-2003 at 01:32 AM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Do love Mustard, has to be Spicy Brown, not Yellow
    Love Mayo, but it has to be Hellman's (or Best Foods for those west of the Rockies I believe)

But my all time favorite (and it's not really a condiment) is sour cream. I could put it on absolutely everything!!!
    Last edited by marybethp; 11-07-2003 at 08:59 AM.

I'm going to go with blue cheese salad dressing. It's great on beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables...oh, and every once in a while I actually use it on salads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast