Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Comic Strips?

FORT Fogey
    Bring Back Far Side!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    Bring Back Far Side!!!
    The best cartoon ever *stares longily at Farside calender on office wall*

FORT Fogey

Far Side was the BEST! But now I'm reading all of my old Calvin and Hobbes books, and I'm realizing how creative and funny Bill Watterson really was. I didn't get it as a little kid, but now that I actually know the meanings of all of the words, its hilarious. He really had a great way of saying what he wanted to say. And there wasn't any repitition. All were new and inventive ideas.

I read the comics every morning and the only comics that I dont read are - Dilbert (I just don't get office humor), The Big Picture (horrible horrible IMO). One of my new favorites is Rhymes With Orange, very ironically funny.

I used to love Foxtrot, but it seems like he's running out of ideas, and all of the jokes are blending together. I know because I have all of the books and I've actually looked back in the books to find the almost exact same joke. He needs to take a sabbatical or something soon, or maybe just quit.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot

Far Side was the BEST! But now I'm reading all of my old Calvin and Hobbes books, and I'm realizing how creative and funny Bill Watterson really was. I didn't get it as a little kid, but now that I actually know the meanings of all of the words, its hilarious. He really had a great way of saying what he wanted to say. And there wasn't any repitition. All were new and inventive ideas.

I read the comics every morning and the only comics that I dont read are - Dilbert (I just don't get office humor), The Big Picture (horrible horrible IMO). One of my new favorites is Rhymes With Orange, very ironically funny.

I used to love Foxtrot, but it seems like he's running out of ideas, and all of the jokes are blending together. I know because I have all of the books and I've actually looked back in the books to find the almost exact same joke. He needs to take a sabbatical or something soon, or maybe just quit.

Pinkie, I think you have to work in an office to get Dilbert. I'm unfortunate enough to be trapped in cubicle hell and I think Dilbert is hilarious. I can think of a real life situation I have been through or seen for just about every strip.

I agree with you on Calvin and Hobbes. I miss that one
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, and The Family Circus

ok a few of my favorites
    Get your war on.... http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/war.html

political but funny. (too graphic for this site)
    I like
    Boondocks
    Zits
    dilbert (crap, I think I AM dilbert)
    and anything from Joe cartoon (http://www.joecartoon.com)
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Okay, count me in as one of those people who don't "get" Dilbert. I mean, it's not cute and funny as Bloom County or Get Fuzzy, it's not as sharp and satirical as Doonesbury, it's not as witty and literate as the now sadly-deceased web comic No Outlet, it's not thoughtful like For Better or Worse, it's not as kooky and edgy as Far Side...what gives?

It's just about a bunch of cynical, negative office dudes who are trying not to strangle each other to death through stupidity. As for relating to the strip -- do high-tech office workers worldwide really find their own workplaces to be such ...well, poisonous environments?

I think you have to live Dilbert to get Dilbert. I've never been a high tech office worker. However, if you've ever had to deal with middle management, *empowerment* programs, and motivational pep rallys when all you want to do is do your job and go home, you "get" Dilbert. I never liked Dilbert back in my *had it better than I though I did* college days. I had to get out into the weird wild world of the modern workplace first.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Yeah, I'm going to echo Stargazer here. If you're still in college - and Nausicaa, you are, right? - you won't get it. You'll find out soon enough.

Oh, lovely. Thanks for the heads-up, guys. Now I'm really looking for the day I get out of college. :rolleyes

But in the meanwhile I think I'll stick with Sinfest. The Bloom County of sex and religion. That God/Morningstar/puppets schtick is genius.

Why, oh why isn't it syndicated?!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast