+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporting a neighbors dog

Reporting a neighbors dog

I have listened to my neighbor's dog bark, howl, and what not since last December. When I brought this to their attension in May, he gave me attitude and the girlfriend did not believe me. For two morning she blasted the music starting at 6:30. I spoke to my neighbor twice and left a list of suggestions for them to try. They both calmed down, but I don't think he took my suggestions.

I just reported my neighbor's dog to the Animal Control Warden today. It's something I debaged on for a long time. I called twice re: the barking and howling, but didn't pursue anything. I wasn't going to do it again and usually changed my mind because I don't want to "mess" with him. However, the owner came back from a weekend trip and I heard the doggy sitters say something about "little scars on her head". Maybe she was caged and freaked out hitting her head. I did hear unknown noises. It is probably nothing, but does anyone think I did the right thing or should I now look "forward" to loud music again and maybe a flat tire? Agh. What do you think?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    next time do what elaine had to, she went and got Newman to "take care" of the dog

If they used such childish retaliatory methods in the past, I promise you they will use them again. I had the neighbors from hell in the duplex I lived in about three years ago. They were drug dealers (the scary gang kind, not the laid back hippie kind), fought with each other every night and let their little ones (3 and 5) wander around the neighborhood. The played their music so loud it actually shook the pictures off the wall...
    Anytime we complained or called the cops because of people passed out on our front porch, they threatened to kill our dogs and slash our tires. Our landlord was in the process of getting them out (takes awhile through legal channels, unfortunately) but we couldn't take one more minute and finally moved.
    My heart goes out to you because I know how stressful that situation can be. It gets to where you dont even want to go home when you have obnoxious neighbors. It seems that any innocent comment or complaint you air can trigger another escalation in the bad behavior. Hope it all works out.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

eldee,I think you did the right thing.There was obviously something in your conscience telling you to do so.I know from reading your post that you are a very thoughtful person and you wouldn't do something like that on the fly.IMO you have already put up with far too much from your neighbours.They sound like real winners,by the way.Is it possible to speak to your lanlord or strata about dealing with these people?Good luck to you, eldee, and maybe you'll get lucky and they'll move out but I guess we still hae to worry about the poor dog.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Eldee - you can come live with me
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

That sucks Eldee, but you did the right thing. Deal with the loud music for a while, hopefully they will tire of it.

I'm going through a situation with my neighbours. Their daughter is this hellion on wheels. She's about 8 years old and insists on running through the halls (apt building) and opening people's doors. (We lock ours, but she's done it before and you can see the handle turning) She'll buzz every single apartment at least once a day. She will play in the parking lot and run in front of cars and then YELL AT THEM if they almost hit her. One day the little brat sat in front of the door playing with her little toys and other crap and blocked the entrance. I asked her to move and she told me there was another door that I could use... even though it was the other side of the building. I told her that I wasn't going to use it and she can bloody well move. I have no idea how to approach her parents and debate going to the landlord.

Otherwise, it's a great place to live.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    That sucks Eldee, but you did the right thing. Deal with the loud music for a while, hopefully they will tire of it.

I'm going through a situation with my neighbours. Their daughter is this hellion on wheels. She's about 8 years old and insists on running through the halls (apt building) and opening people's doors. (We lock ours, but she's done it before and you can see the handle turning) She'll buzz every single apartment at least once a day. She will play in the parking lot and run in front of cars and then YELL AT THEM if they almost hit her. One day the little brat sat in front of the door playing with her little toys and other crap and blocked the entrance. I asked her to move and she told me there was another door that I could use... even though it was the other side of the building. I told her that I wasn't going to use it and she can bloody well move. I have no idea how to approach her parents and debate going to the landlord.

Otherwise, it's a great place to live.

I think you did the right thing, Eldee.

And Miss F, I feel for that little girl - her parents are setting her up for MAJOR failure in life. I don't blame her for her horrible behavior - I blame her parents for letting her develop into such a brat!

I hate parents that take their responsibilities for granted!

Yeah... her mother is just like her. They are the kind of people that will open their car doors and hit the car next to them without even blinking. She often will not keep the door open for anyone, even if they are fumbling for their keys with 2 handfuls of groceries. I figure why bother talking to the mother? She'll just get offended and then likely play the radio really loud in the morning.

Oddly enough, their son is very well mannered and quite a sweet kid.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Thanks for the input everyone. I feel better about it, for now. If I didn't hear something about small scars around her head, I probably would have continued to grin and bear it for her sake. I feel terrible when she is yelled at. She is a sweet pit who deserves better. I found out second hand that they lied in order to get her and I said something about that. Supposedly, a relative or friend with a fenced in yard was supposed to have her all day and return her in the evenings. Yeah, right! Plus, in my area many voluntary organizations (like the one I belong to) insist on only letting someone adopt a pit if they have an enclosed fence and will have the dog go to training.

I tried to be a helpful neighbor in many ways, including offering to doggy sitting for free (even though my landlord would flip is he knew I might keep a dog or cat in the condo). They never wanted me to help out. They also don't like to socialize her with other people in the area or other dogs. That is not such a good thing, but she is still sweet at this time. I only want the best for her. She was better off at the facility that had her.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Yeah... her mother is just like her. They are the kind of people that will open their car doors and hit the car next to them without even blinking. She often will not keep the door open for anyone, even if they are fumbling for their keys with 2 handfuls of groceries. I figure why bother talking to the mother? She'll just get offended and then likely play the radio really loud in the morning.

Oddly enough, their son is very well mannered and quite a sweet kid.
    Makes me wonder how differently they treat each individual child.

I agree with Wayner, i.e. "I feel for that little girl - her parents are setting her up for MAJOR failure in life. I don't blame her for her horrible behavior - I blame her parents for letting her develop into such a brat!"

Eldee...I think you handled it the best way you could. The other thing I don't like about barking dogs, is to me it signifies neglect, and I hate people who neglect their animals!! The Animal control people in my area (or at least my city) are some of the sweetest animal lovers out there, wouldn't hurt a flea, and I've called them in the past about various things and they are (for me anyway) always likely to offer advice about all kinds of animal behavior and neighbor behavior.

Stargazer! Drug dealers! So glad you don't live there anymore! But I have to say, that your post made me chuckle at this part: "They were drug dealers (the scary gang kind, not the laid back hippie kind)". I'm immediately reminded of Eric Stolz in Pulp Fiction...as the "hippie kind". Guess I never thought of the two kinds of dealers before.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast