+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your job/occupation?

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    i'm an Urban Planner here in Central Florida- mostly design of new Planned Communities, and Office Districts- very stable work as you can imagine...

i'm hoping to open my own consulting business in the next year or so- which will open up the opportunity for me to get into my dream job- Golf Course design and development- fingers crossed!

btw- Senrik- i have a Landscape Architect consultant that rakes in about $400k a year (working out of his house)- not sure how intense of a transition that would be?

Currently I am full time student (again) and stay at home mom. My first real job was picking strawberries at a strawberry farm when I was 15. Then I worked during summer vacation in a hospital disinfecting/sterilizing instruments. When I turned 18 I could work at the paper mill during the summers, in cleaning crew, they paid really well there for a summer job. After that I have been a summer assistant at a forestry research station, done some layouts for kids nature guides and some other forestry related stuff. I suppose next year when I graduate with business related stuff I need to work for someone else for a while. But eventually I would like to have my own small business.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    tracylee! I would love to be a zoologist, but decided that I wouldn't get a job in that department so I opted to actually study computer stuff . Mostly embedded real time programming so far...

I actually started college with a declared major of computer science, but couldn't get into any classes, so I went through the catalog and chose something I was interested in that didn't require speech! I realized my senior year that you had to have a Master's degree to even get into a paid position at the Portland Zoo, so I joined the Peace Corps, after working the summer at a local pet store. After finishing my stint in the Peace Corps I went back to that pet store chain, moved on to another before the hours and retail pay finally drove me to an office job. Worked for 2 years as front office/receptionist for a chiropractor, then got hired as bilingual customer service for a large insurance company. They sent me back to school to be a programmer and here I am, supporting a data warehouse. Life's been good so far!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

I totally forgot to list my most fun job -- I'm a simulated patient at the local med school. It pays well and is fun, fun, fun. It's also a great job for anybody with a flexible schedule i.e. student, housewife, retired, etc. Most medical schools have a program where they use local actors to portray patients in various settings (teaching, testing, demonstration). You don't have to be Meryl Streep, and if you're willing to do pelvic or urile-genital exams the money is really good. I don't do the pelvics, but had a friend who did because he wanted to put on his resume that he was a professional asshole!

Sher- I just quit Tim Hortons! It was sooo bad there. My boss wouldn't give anyone a raise and I was working overnights while working another job where I worked days. All while going to school full time. It was a terrible situation screwed up my body royally.

Quote Originally Posted by MollyRose
    I totally forgot to list my most fun job -- I'm a simulated patient at the local med school. It pays well and is fun, fun, fun. ....
    I did something similar to that. It was for the EMT practicals. I started as a victim. The two times that stood out in my mind was when one of the students was doing a primary exam and she gave my bladder a good and firm press. Oh, momma! I already had 2 cups of coffee and water that morning. She was also a nurse and hit that spot perfectly. I kept quiet and still, but took off as soon as she was finished. The other was when a firefighter was using a hare traction splint on me. The @$$ (0)@ kept pulling traction after I told him when to stop. I felt it for a week and sleep with my leg elevated.

Although, I didn't have the actual requirements, I was switched from being a victim to giving and scoring the practicals. Less potential for pain and it pays better too! Actually, I did a very good job at it at that time and it was fun. If I lived in that area, I would still do it on the weekends.

BTW, how is that friend who is also the pro.....?

I'm a social worker that works with mentally ill elderly people who live in nursing homes, homes for the aged or foster care homes. (basically I bother old people for a living) I've done this for the past 15 years.
    I've also bar tended. Waitressed (which I was awful at) Sold Shoes (which was a horrible job, this was back when you had to kneel down to put the shoe on the person and guys always looked down your shirt). I was an aide in a care home for developmental disabled teenagers. I was a store clerk for years plus worked in a campus bakery and cafe.

I would have the say the social work gig has been the most fun.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I'm a social worker that works with mentally ill elderly people who live in nursing homes, homes for the aged or foster care homes. (basically I bother old people for a living) I've done this for the past 15 years.
    .........I would have the say the social work gig has been the most fun.
    For some reason, I worry about those people in nursing homes. I'm glad that they actually have social workers to help keep on top of things. I've heard more bad stories than good on the news. Except, for the ones where an elderly couple ties the knot in the nursing home.

I'm a software developer.

*gives Ducky a quarter*
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Thank you, have a good night.

+ Reply to Thread