+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Riddle me this!

Riddle me this!

I was reading the "wonder" thread, and saw that The Stump John thread was brought up for maybe John and Modesty... Thought we could start one where anyone who knows the answer can give it

Question 1....

What ever happened to Donny Most (Ralph Malph from Happy Days)?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

According to tvland.com:

Donny Most was born on August 8, 1959 in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, New York. His father was an accountant. He developed his love of acting in the third grade after he saw "The Jolson Story." A local television station was running the movie several times a day and Most was mesmerized by the story of Al Jolson. In 1979, he told a TV Guide reporter that he watched the movie a staggering 50 times and memorized every line of dialogue. At the age of 15, he got his first real taste of show business by performing at resorts in New York's Catskill Mountains. He was part of a group of teenagers who played the so-called "Borscht-Belt" circuit. While still in high school, he began to take professional acting classes and appear in television commercials.
    Most graduated from Brooklyn's Erasmus Hall High School, which also gave the world Barbra Streisand and Eli Wallach. He continued his education at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania and decided to spend the summer before his senior year in Los Angeles. During these few months, he won a bit part on "Emergency" and on "Room 222" and decided not to return to college.

Most's third job in television was the charm. He auditioned for the part of Potsie on "Happy Days," but was immediately ruled out because of his hair color. Ron Howard, a redhead, had already been cast in the lead role and the producers did not want another redhead to play the best friend.

But the producers liked Most too much to simply ignore him. In the original script, the character Ralph Malph was a football jock. Garry Marshall decided to cast Most as Ralph and, playing off Most's comic ability, he changed the dumb jock into the class comedian.

In 1980, Most left the series to expand his acting career. His biggest post-"Happy Days" job was doing voiceovers for the animated series "Dungeons and Dragons" (1983-86). He also made guest appearances on "Fantasy Island," "CHiPs," "Love Boat," and "Murder, She Wrote." In 1995, he played disc jockey Vince Fontaine in a travelling production of "Grease."

Like other "Happy Days" cast members, Most has become a director, working on numerous stage productions in the Los Angeles area.

A recent picture of him can be found here.

Three minutes John? You couldn't have found the info any faster?

I've got a really hard one.... about a show I watched in England as a child. I asked a friend who grew up there and has only lived in the staes for 10 years and even he didn't remember it...
    ANYWAY!!!!

There was a childrens show called "The Clangers"
    I honestly can't remember if it was a "real" show, or something akin to "The Simpsons" when they were just Tracy Ulmann show fillers.... My kids think I'm crazy and that such a lame sounding show could never have existed... I need to prove to them that it did

SO, John, Modesty, anybody????

I can answer this one.
    It definitely did exist and it was in no way lame.
    It was a great show.
    The clangers were like little anteaters who wore silver lame suits.
    There was also a Soup Dragon in the show.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The official site of the Clangers is here. They also had a brief appearance on a Dr. Who episode in 1972.

Clangers films were first shown in 1969, the year man landed on the moon. They were described by a NASA scientist as “an attempt to bring a note of realism to the fantasy of the Space Race.”. The series concerns the life and times of the Clangers a race of highly civilised, small, bright pink, long-nosed mouse-shaped persons which stand upright on big flappy feet. They talk to each other by a kind of high pitched whistling and have large animated ears that they pull over their eyes when they are sad or distressed.

The Clangers live inside a small blue cratered planet which is covered in metal lids from which they hide from the cold and the numerous objects falling from space. They share their worldwith the Soup Dragon, who lives in the soup well and who provides the Clangers with green soup, the Glow Buzzers which provide light for the Clangers caves and tasty Glow Honey,and the conjuring froglets, inexplicable orange, oval stick-legged creatures which travel in a top hat and live in a vertical pond deep within the planet.
    There's a lot more, but you're definitely not crazy. At least regarding this. And did you live in England? I never knew that.

3 minutes...I gotta stop slacking.

Oh, btw, it was a show on it's own, not a filler.
    It was a pretty short show though.

Now Cali, tell me you also watched Bagpuss and Finger Bobs?
    "That's Numberwang!"

You guys have no idea how happy this makes me

John, I lived there for 3 years. First day of school in 1st grade the teacher asked if anyone could spell colour

I was thrilled that I could so shot my hand up... the entire class laughed when I spelled it c-o-l-o-r! Luckily the teacher knew that was the American way

Sorry.... flashback!

Fluff, I don't remember those at all, but I loved Blue Peter

Another quick question..... Do you recall a show that had a skit about "black Sausage"?

You're sure it's not the Monty Python "SPAM" skit, that had a little thing in it about sausage?

could be John ... I just remember being about 7 years old and hearing my dad laughing so hard I thought he was going to break something!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast