+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Inappropriate Commercials

Re: Inappropriate Commercials

I think pretty much ALL of the Comcast commercials are aggravating as h*ll. Especially the stupid ones about their phone service, from the guy tattooed with tiger stripes to this new one w/ the mother lying thru her teeth about her son.

As for the RLS commerical, I seriously thought I was losing my hearing about side effects. I had to ask others if they heard the same side effect. I am old enough that I remember when NO prescription drug commercials permeated the airwaves. I still don't see the purpose for advertising a product that only the physician can actually prescribe. My parents' retired internist told them that he never allowed pharmaceutical reps in his office. He considered it a breach of ethics. I agree. At the same time the sample packs of some of the drugs which may benefit you can be given to a patient before actually writing a prescription to make sure that it works for the patient.

I just hope that this Super Bowl season produces more winners than losers in commercials. Last year I did not enjoy many of the commercials.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow;2772928;
    .... I am old enough that I remember when NO prescription drug commercials permeated the airwaves. I still don't see the purpose for advertising a product that only the physician can actually prescribe. My parents' retired internist told them that he never allowed pharmaceutical reps in his office. He considered it a breach of ethics. I agree. At the same time the sample packs of some of the drugs which may benefit you can be given to a patient before actually writing a prescription to make sure that it works for the patient.
    Regarding the allowing of pharmaceutical reps into the doctor's office, I rather have to disagree with that as a general policy for doctors, although I think it depends on the individual physician.

My reason is that too many physicians don't stay on top of the latest news in things that might benefit their patients, including new procedures, equipment, and/or medications available. They get their degree and license and open a practice and think they can coast from there on the knowledge acquired already, and don't keep themselves caught up on the new stuff in a consistent manner. Sometimes they only learn about something new from a patient who inquires about something, or from a medical supply rep. Yes, not all the new drugs or equipment is new and innovative or fills a need, but if even 1 or 2 are, then the doctor should behoove himself to at least spare a few minutes learning something about it. It's not a question of ethics, it's a question of keeping abreast of what's available to help the people who pay his paycheck, the patient.

And then, as you mentioned, the free samples are actually very helpful... to check out a new drug for free before spending a lot of money on a new prescription that might end up not being right for you, and also to help some patients who might need just a week's worth of something but have serious money issues with prescription expenses, such as elderly people on a small fixed income. In the volunteer work I do, I've run into many elderly people like that who've been so grateful to their doctors for the samples they've given them to help defray medication costs.

So I just can't see why any doctor would turn away a pharmaceutical rep or a medical supply/equipment rep from his/her office.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I hate all the Axe deodorant spray commercials. They make it look like women lose their minds by a certain scent. But I am totally disgusted by the newest one. It shows a guy who sprays himself with Axe and then smashes his face against the wall. And then his skin begins to crack and fall off. Gross, gross, gross!

I watched a commercial today that blew me out of the water. It was for a ph balance cream for women. I feel like that is far too personal to put on tv. I cringed watching it. Basically they were stating that after anything you go through as a female, use this stuff and you will be back to normal. It was rather gross IMO.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Speaking of those ads, the ones for Monistat 7, etc, used to make me cringe too.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2773060;
    Regarding the allowing of pharmaceutical reps into the doctor's office, I rather have to disagree with that as a general policy for doctors, although I think it depends on the individual physician.

My reason is that too many physicians don't stay on top of the latest news in things that might benefit their patients, including new procedures, equipment, and/or medications available. They get their degree and license and open a practice and think they can coast from there on the knowledge acquired already, and don't keep themselves caught up on the new stuff in a consistent manner. Sometimes they only learn about something new from a patient who inquires about something, or from a medical supply rep. Yes, not all the new drugs or equipment is new and innovative or fills a need, but if even 1 or 2 are, then the doctor should behoove himself to at least spare a few minutes learning something about it. It's not a question of ethics, it's a question of keeping abreast of what's available to help the people who pay his paycheck, the patient.

And then, as you mentioned, the free samples are actually very helpful... to check out a new drug for free before spending a lot of money on a new prescription that might end up not being right for you, and also to help some patients who might need just a week's worth of something but have serious money issues with prescription expenses, such as elderly people on a small fixed income. In the volunteer work I do, I've run into many elderly people like that who've been so grateful to their doctors for the samples they've given them to help defray medication costs.

So I just can't see why any doctor would turn away a pharmaceutical rep or a medical supply/equipment rep from his/her office.
    While I see your point and I do also benefit from samples, I used to work for a doctor and in my experience as a patient as well, the doctors still don't stay up on the latest in meds and prescribe just because the drug rep has been in and given them the samples/freebies/etc. I have seen this time and again and when you question the doctor about the medicine, they really have NO idea and I find that not only irresponsible but dangerous. Case in point. I was prescribed something last year that I had horrible, horrible side effects from. After taking it for a while, that doctor took me off of it. I later saw my primary care physician and we were updating my meds and she asked if I was still taking it. When I told her no and why, she was STUNNED and said: "I had no idea it could do that. The drug rep said it had some side effects, but I had no idea they were this bad". She had been prescribing this medicine to her other patients without doing any research or reading about the prescription on her own, just based on what the drug rep told her.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just like everything else today (boy I am sounding old) there is way too much information out there and too much happening for everything to be digested. It's a shame but I feel the world needs to stop for a few days and start over again. Give everyone a break. AS for commercials I find inappropriate- It's the male & female products whatever they are, The yelling banshee, and any commercials where the kids ae smarter than the parents with smart ass answers.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2780910;
    While I see your point and I do also benefit from samples, I used to work for a doctor and in my experience as a patient as well, the doctors still don't stay up on the latest in meds and prescribe just because the drug rep has been in and given them the samples/freebies/etc. I have seen this time and again and when you question the doctor about the medicine, they really have NO idea and I find that not only irresponsible but dangerous. Case in point. I was prescribed something last year that I had horrible, horrible side effects from. After taking it for a while, that doctor took me off of it. I later saw my primary care physician and we were updating my meds and she asked if I was still taking it. When I told her no and why, she was STUNNED and said: "I had no idea it could do that. The drug rep said it had some side effects, but I had no idea they were this bad". She had been prescribing this medicine to her other patients without doing any research or reading about the prescription on her own, just based on what the drug rep told her.
    Agreed, for the most part, but I still think that just making a blanket policy to not even allow them in shows a blatant and willful disregard for even attempting to keep up an appearance of keeping up on what's new. Whereas if they're allowed in, at least that type of shameful physician might accidentally learn something whether he/she likes it or not. I'm fortunate that my doctor stays up on new ideas and products, and encourages the reps to visit, not only for the samples she can give to patients who might be candidates for that, but to ask them questions. I think when pharm/equipment reps are allowed into the doctor's office, more doctors/nurses learn something new than those who don't allow them in. So all in all, I think it's short-sighted and arrogant of any physician who doesn't allow them in.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2781068;
    Just like everything else today (boy I am sounding old) there is way too much information out there and too much happening for everything to be digested. It's a shame but I feel the world needs to stop for a few days and start over again. Give everyone a break. AS for commercials I find inappropriate- It's the male & female products whatever they are, The yelling banshee, and any commercials where the kids ae smarter than the parents with smart ass answers.
    I must be old too. I totally agree.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2781068;
    ...It's a shame but I feel the world needs to stop for a few days and start over again. Give everyone a break. AS for commercials I find inappropriate- It's the male & female products whatever they are, The yelling banshee, and any commercials where the kids ae smarter than the parents with smart ass answers.
    You got my vote on that proposal, gabriel.

+ Reply to Thread