+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Inappropriate Commercials

Originally posted by cali

What really bugs me... which isn't CE thing, but when they advertise prescription meds, tell you to ask your Doc if it's right for you, but doesn't tell you what the hell it's for.
    I think another thread talked about this too...lol. There are "rules" for drug advertisements. If you say what the drug is for, you also have to state what the side effects and contra-indications are, which could scare folks off from asking their doctor about the drug.

A "reminder" ad, such as you mention, doesn't have to talk about the bad things since it never tells what the drug is for. One of the allergy medicines had to revise a "reminder" ad at one point. Even though it didn't say what the drug was for, the visual of the ad was enough to convey it was an allergy med--but it never mentioned side effects.

My 5-year-old nephew was watching TV when a vagisil ad came on showing all the wonderful things you can do more comfortably if you use it. He turned to his mom and said "hey, can you get me some of that stuff?" When she asked why he said "because it helps you ride a bike better"!

Oh my! Too funny MollyRose!
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Originally posted by MollyRose
    "because it helps you ride a bike better"!
    Kids, you gotta love 'em!

That's too funny.

They only started advertising feminine products in the UK a few years ago.

Some of the commercials over here are awful imo, particularly the Kotex ones with the red blob bouncing around.
    I hate the "tangerine tafetta bridesmaid dress" one.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I can't stand the feminine commercials. Especially the "mom, do you ever get that not so fresh feeling?"

John, that was hilarious.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Inappropriate Commercials

I just had to ask. Does that Mercedes commercial with the monster chasing the woman around the house scare anyone else's kids? My daughter is almost two and whenever that commercial comes on, she runs screaming to me and I have to calm her down. I have noticed that it is mostly on in the evening, but I still don't know that they should have it on television. If the same (realistic) monster was in a movie, it would be rated at least PG. Makes me wonder if any of the Mercedes advertising peolple even have kids.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I think my kids would be scared to get in that car if the think a monster is hiding in the hood.

The commercial also bugs me cause it doesn't make sense. How is locking the car going to keep the monster under the hood? It doesn't lock the hood.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    The commercial also bugs me cause it doesn't make sense. How is locking the car going to keep the monster under the hood? It doesn't lock the hood.
    I would think the monster would make a lot more noise and have a lot less control of a big car like a Benz, if it were trying to escape...

and who the hell wants to buy a car where the engine wants to escape in the first place? not to mention the loudness of the monster, and its thrashing about.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

+ Reply to Thread