+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Inappropriate Commercials

I just had to dig up this old thread because this commercial has been bugging me for last couple of months now. I think it was at the start of the New Year that Weight Watchers rolled out a series of commercials set to the Cher song that goes, "This is a song/for the lonely/can you hear me tonight?"

I know there's supposed to be an empowering message in there or something, but instead all I think of when I hear Cher sing those words is that they're implying all fat women are lonely! I'm sorry, I have no idea if that made any sense but whenever I hear those commercials on my TV, they irritate me to no end.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    I just had to dig up this old thread because this commercial has been bugging me for last couple of months now. I think it was at the start of the New Year that Weight Watchers rolled out a series of commercials set to the Cher song that goes, "This is a song/for the lonely/can you hear me tonight?"

I know there's supposed to be an empowering message in there or something, but instead all I think of when I hear Cher sing those words is that they're implying all fat women are lonely! I'm sorry, I have no idea if that made any sense but whenever I hear those commercials on my TV, they irritate me to no end.
    That commercial is international, we have the same one here. I have never thought about it like that, but I probably will now.

Good point Snowflakegirl!
    When I see that commercial, I wonder how her daughter Chasity feels (currently on Celebrity Fit Club). Does she see it and think "Mom's trying to send me a message that I need to get help with the weight?"
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one offended by that commercial. I seriously switch the channel the second it comes on. If that's the effect they're after...
    Count your blessings!

The commercial that offends me the most is actually a few years old and I can't remember what vehicle it's for, but let's just call it Americar. Anyway, there's some footage of a little kid tootling around in a big wheel in the driveway. Another little kid comes over, stands there looking at the big wheel driving kid, and then pushes him off and gets on himself. The voice over says "A future Americar driver". Great. The kid's a car-jacker. That's positive selling.

This commercial, and other similarly ill-natured ones in the series, ran long enough for me to assume that there were no complaints, which honestly surprised the hell out of me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The other thing that always strikes me about that commercial is that the theme song is sung by someone who has never had any sort of weight issues in her life. It sort of makes it feel like it's rubbing it in or something that uberskinny Cher is singing it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

This is a recent car commercial that just made me go when I saw it.

It shows a snow storm outside of a very posh, private school, and we're informed that "School will be closing" and that it might "Take a while for your parents to come." Then, we see some BIG SUV plowing through the snow. Next scene, we have a boy and girl, happy with their StepFord Mommie picking them up from the snowstorm.

As the car is pulling away, the side window opens up and the little boy gives the most EVIL grin of superiority to the remaining students, who are gazing out of a window! Ugh and Double Ugh!!!

What a sociopath! Fine, the mom can't take any other kids because maybe she needs parental permission in this litigious nation we live in, but the self-satisfied GLOATING that is in that kids face....down right creepy!!! It would have been more effective if they just showed the happy kids, and then cut to the inside of the school, with the kids watching the SUV pull away, and someone saying, "I wish MY Mom drove a _____." But that boy....too creepy for words! Makes me want to get dead bolts on my windows!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    The other thing that always strikes me about that commercial is that the theme song is sung by someone who has never had any sort of weight issues in her life. It sort of makes it feel like it's rubbing it in or something that uberskinny Cher is singing it.
    And even if Cher had weight issues she would probably solve it by a little plastic surgery, I'm guessing that's not encouraged by the Weight Watchers

I feel like the commercials for prescription drugs are ridiculous. They are pretty much all the same -they show people smiling, drinking coffee, walking along a beach or jogging in a park, and they mention the drug by name - we'll call this one supermedificationmonoximal. Then the announcer goes through a laundry list of side effects (my favorite being "loose bowels") and lastly, says you may not take supermedificationmonoximal if you have had any of the following...another long list read by a speed reader. Followed by "please consult your physicican before taking supermedificationmonoximal." However, we are still left with the vision of happy people enjoying life, wondering, hmmm, maybe I should try supermedificationmonoximal so I too can jog through the park on a sunny summer day, yeah, I need me some of that drug. You Google the drug name only to find out it was intended for male pattern baldness-having nothing to do with jogging or drinking coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    I feel like the commercials for prescription drugs are ridiculous.
    Yeah, those kill me. I'm listening away to them listing the side effects - runny nose, headaches, nausea, mild cough, itchiness - which sound remarkably like allergy symptoms to me when I realize "hey, isn't this allergy medication they're trying to sell?". Seriously, what is the point of taking this stuff if the cure is exactly like the disease?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread