+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer questions

Computer questions

I bought a sony lap top and i can record mp3's on it on blank cd's, but I have some mpg's and wmv's and real player videos on my comp that i want to record on cd's. I bought blank cd's for that, but my question is, how do i know my computer can record videos on to the cds??? How do i know if I have the software on my computer to do it? Does it come on pretty much all computers pre installed if i got my computer 2 years ago? Just wondering if someone can elaborate on this please, thank you.

If you have a CD-burner, which you do since you can burn music CD's, then you can burn CD's with data in any format.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If you have a CD-burner, which you do since you can burn music CD's, then you can burn CD's with data in any format.
    Just click to burn in "data" format.

TV. I guess the question I have for you is Do you want to record it in a format that other devices, (cd players, dvd players etc) can understand?

Music CD's are fairly easy. have it recorded into a music compilation. Most decent (and by decent I exclude the basic burning capability of XP) burning software can do it for music. If you bought the burner, or it came with the machine, it should include some software for it.

Video is a separate matter. you might want to look into VCD formats, and see if your DVD player supports it. Many do, but some don't.

unfortunately most burner software does not include support for VCD, (for copyright reasons).

as for burning it to DVD, thats a whole other ball of wax. You'd need a DVD burner. Most DVD burners sold in North america are partially crippled, buring only 2.5 gb of data onto a DVD disk. (the professional models do 5 GB, but the MPAA fought the manufacturers to not release them to the retail market).
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    unfortunately most burner software does not include support for VCD, (for copyright reasons).
    The two top CD burning software suites do: Ahead's Nero and Roxio's Easy CD Creator will do it. They're not free, though: $100 boxed and $70 to download for Nero; Easy CD Creator costs $10 more to download, but the boxed version costs the same. Easy CD Creator is said to be more user-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    The two top CD burning software suites do: Ahead's Nero and Roxio's Easy CD Creator will do it. They're not free, though: $100 boxed and $70 to download for Nero; Easy CD Creator costs $10 more to download, but the boxed version costs the same. Easy CD Creator is said to be more user-friendly.
    Still, its unlikely someone has one of these around them unless they went out and purchased it....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

TV. I guess the question I have for you is Do you want to record it in a format that other devices, (cd players, dvd players etc) can understand?
    Nope, I just want to record mpg's, wmv's and real player videos and just watch it on my computer. Does this mean it should work???

Quote Originally Posted by tv_is_fake
    Nope, I just want to record mpg's, wmv's and real player videos and just watch it on my computer. Does this mean it should work???
    sure, save it as a data file and you're ok.

sure, save it as a data file and you're ok.
    One more question, thanks for answering the others, can you tell me if this is the right cds, it called Memorex Music CD-R (Recordable compact discs for home audio cd recorders and computer writers) 700 MB, 80 minute, 40X multi speed.

Will these cds record videos from the computer?

Leo
    Premium Member
    CD-R media is CD-R media. You should have no problem using the ones you already have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast