+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Chat room

The Chat room

Just wondering if any of you ever go into the chat room. I've never been but tried today but noone was there. Just wondering how popular it is???

Quote Originally Posted by evalaruefan
    Just wondering if any of you ever go into the chat room. I've never been but tried today but noone was there. Just wondering how popular it is???
    I've been in it a few times. the most people I've seen on it were like 5 people. certainly more immediate than all the posting.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Rab
    I don't go to chat rooms unless they're on AIM but that's rarely for me.

I can't freakin' get into chat rooms lately. Actually, truth be told, it's the current bane of my existence. A large group of my friends and I meet regularly in a chat room, and I have not been able to get into a freakin' chat room since I got my new computer and moved to my new place. :rolleyes Even my computer programmer friend came over and tried everything she could. *sigh*

After investigating, I found out it's because I have Windows XP, and apparently Sun Microsystems is ticked at Microsoft, or vice versa, and hence Windows XP does not come with appropriate java software. And lots of chat programs require it (the one I use with my pals does). Anyhow, (feel free to skip all this pointless babbling/complaining) the point is that I've now finally downloaded java, and am still having problems. :rolleyes And I've tried everything imaginable on their FAQ page with configurations etc. I think too, it has something to do with the proxy my high-speed connection uses. Annnnnyyyhow...to make a long story longer, I just can't get it to work no matter what I try, how I configure it, how often I change things manually and start over, etc. etc.

*sigh* Would...love...to...chat..but. ..CAN'T!! Rarrrr!!! *shirt busts open, green hulk-like chest pops out, picks up chunk of wood and throws it at computer, grunting, "Machine...make...MAD!!!!"*
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    The times I come into FORT is so limited now with all the school... studies... projects... works... No difference for the chat room...

I think the best thing to do is to come in here and post when you are about to chat... (There was a thread titled "Chat?" or something similar) that way people know someone is there. I hardly ever go in, but really enjoy it when I do .

Also, you can keep it open in one window, surf the fort in another and when someone enters the chat room there is a sound (I think), so then you know.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    I am having exactly the same problems as Shazzer...if anyone ever figures out a solution, let me know!

I'm having no problems with it.
    my config.

XP professional.
    I've tried it with both firebird 0.7 and ie 6.0 (and I hate IE)
    Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2 (this is sun's java, from http://java.sun.com )

(if you have it on your machine you can add/remove it and reinstall which should delete any setting you did).

The one thing is you may have to wait a few minutes the first few times, for the java client to start percolating. (you have to excuse me, i haven't had coffee yet). after that its fairly straightforward.

if it fails. double check that you have it coming out from a direct connection in the configuration.

(if you are doing this from a business, you might be hosed, as some firewalls disable java.)
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Fogey
    Thanks, senrik, it really worked!!

+ Reply to Thread