+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anaplastic oligodendroglioma

Anaplastic oligodendroglioma

Is anyone familiar with this type of brain cancer called Anaplastic oligodendroglioma? I tried to research it and either found technical info or very brief, personal messages from people.

My friend's husband called me this afternoon to tell me that she had surgery and was in the hospital. There has been some slight personality changes, but she is able to use one side that she couldn't after surgery. I am not familiar with this cancer, but I wanted to try an educate myself on this particular one.

Is there any type of site for non-medical personnel?

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Eldee, Im sorry to hear about your friend. Here's the little I know about Brain tumors (I use to work oncology as a nurse..)
    Ananplastic Oligodendroglioma usually occurs in youngish adults..from age mid 20's to 50's. they usually favor men.
    Most brain tumors and spinal cord tumors develop from glial cells. (the end of the word OligodendroGLIOMA has the word glial)
    Oligodedrocytes (a type of glial cell) They make myelin. Myelin surrounds and insulates axons of the brain and spinal cord. This way oligodendrocytes help neurons trasmit electic signals thru axons...
    These kinds of tumors are hard to remove in surgery..and are usually spread by the Cerebralspinalcord Fluid, but rarely outside the brain or spinal cord.

But Eldee, there are different grading systems for tumors depending on how severe and if it has spread. Personality change can happen, depending where in the brain the tumor was located. It may be transient or permanent.

Check out the site..My.webMd.com andthen in search type in Brain Tumor. then click the first article, its general but should answer alot of your questions. pm if you have any more questions...
    Hugs!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Tallulahbaby, thanks so much! I'm trying to get my head together before I call her. He said that the tumor was the size of a lemon. Her mother died of the same thing, but the tumor was not found out until very shortly before she was treated.

The two changes noticed are: eating a lot and not being such a control and NEAT freak. The first will probably have to come down a notch, but we kind of agree that the second change in behavior might not be so bad.

I was surprised that she was not in Sloan Kettering, but NYU is also a very good hospital.

Thanks again!!!

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Sloan Kettering is an amazing hospital! NYU is excellent as well.. Good luck!

The patron saint of cancer is St. Peregine. Hope that helps ya. Hugs
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

+ Reply to Thread