+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's your fave season?

I love something about all seasons except winter. I hate winter. With a passion. Primarily I hate how long it takes just to leave the house in the morning. In the middle of summer I can, if necessary, get up, perform my ablutions, get dressed and be out of the house in 15 minutes. In the winter I absolutely must blow dry my hair after the shower so it doesn't freeze, and put on at least five extra articles of clothing, all of which increases my prep time to at least 45 minutes. Plus, I have to put on makeup because winter makes me look like death, pale and ill, white with a tinge of green around the edes.

I hate the fact that it's dark when I get up and dark when I get home. I hate that I can't sit outside the back door in the morning drinking my tea. I hate, hate, hate that I have to wear socks. I hate that I can't ride my bike some days because there's too much snow on the road. I hate being cold and I hate slipping on the sidewalk. I hate shovelling snow. I hate taking transit. I hate the feel of snowflakes on my face. I hate snowflakes coating my glasses so I can't see where I'm going. I hate staticky hair and hat hair and just the general bad tack my hair takes in winter.

I hate winter.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Fall is my very favorite season. I even had someone tell me once I "looked" like a Fall person.

I love it for all the reasons everyone else above listed. The smell of burning leaves reminds me of my childhood, I love the changing of the leaves (not the dropping of them onto my porch though!), when the unbearable heat of the summer finally breaks and the air starts getting cooler each day. That is the best!

In the fall we get Halloween and Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, then Christmas. Who can NOT love drinking hot chocolate or apple cider?! I don't have a fireplace but that would be the icing on the cake for me if I did.

I "feel" when fall is coming. I just get this feeling about the air, the smells, everything. Maybe I'm crazy!

My second favorite season is Spring because of the rebirth of the flowers and the explosion of soft and bright colors. And the weather is still bearable - not too cold or too warm. Then Summer, followed by Winter. Even though Winter in GA isn't as cold as the winter I spent in upstate NY, there are still days when it's very cold and windy.

ETA - I just read Rattus' post and I also loathe static in the winter. And I am a static magnet. I get shocked touching anything and everything in the winter. My hair flys everywhere, stuff sticks to my clothes. Yes, I hate that part of winter. We don't get snow except for the very rare fluke occasion, and it doesn't stick. But I love the snow, just not driving in it or shoveling it!
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 09-05-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Fall. Definitely fall. The humidity is gone; the sky is a crisp blue; the days are still fairly warm; the nights are cool. I love hearing the crickets chirp all day. I know this sounds wierd, but I love the smell of decaying leaves.
    Like Geek, I love the clothes, too. But I'm sure she looks better in them than I do (I've seen the photos she's posted on FORT) . The only downside for me? Until the first frost, hayfever.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I used too be one of those people who absolutely loved summer, no matter how hot. However, as I get older, I now understand why people leave the state of Texas during the summer. Fall is my new favorite. I hate too be cold and I hate to have to wear sock and tennis shoes, but after this past month (20 someodd days of over 100*) I am so ready for Fall. Not bitterly cold and not sweltering hot. You don't have to run the A/C 24/7 and still sweat like a pig. No walking out the door and being hit with a wall of heat that makes it seem like you just stepped passed the gates of hell. Yep, definitely Fall.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Spring!! Here on the high plains, we really only have 2 seasons - winter and construction. Spring? You have to be looking out for it and even then, blink and you might miss it between the last snowfall and full on heat of summer. But if you watch closely, you'll see the small changes as Mother Nature prepares herself for summer's bounty.
    My absolute favorite part is the anticipation as the days lengthen and the grass greens. Peeling off layers of winter, everything becomes fresh and new. There is vitality in the very air. Probably because it is so very transient in this region, when you come across the small signs of spring, it feels like you have discovered a treasure!

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Fall is my very favorite season. I even had someone tell me once I "looked" like a Fall person.

I love it for all the reasons everyone else above listed. The smell of burning leaves reminds me of my childhood, I love the changing of the leaves (not the dropping of them onto my porch though!), when the unbearable heat of the summer finally breaks and the air starts getting cooler each day. That is the best!

In the fall we get Halloween and Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, then Christmas. Who can NOT love drinking hot chocolate or apple cider?! I don't have a fireplace but that would be the icing on the cake for me if I did.

I "feel" when fall is coming. I just get this feeling about the air, the smells, everything. Maybe I'm crazy!

My second favorite season is Spring because of the rebirth of the flowers and the explosion of soft and bright colors. And the weather is still bearable - not too cold or too warm. Then Summer, followed by Winter. Even though Winter in GA isn't as cold as the winter I spent in upstate NY, there are still days when it's very cold and windy.

ETA - I just read Rattus' post and I also loathe static in the winter. And I am a static magnet. I get shocked touching anything and everything in the winter. My hair flys everywhere, stuff sticks to my clothes. Yes, I hate that part of winter. We don't get snow except for the very rare fluke occasion, and it doesn't stick. But I love the snow, just not driving in it or shoveling it!

Your not crazy ACF, I also "feel" Autumn coming , or more accurately SMELL it. Every year even before the first leaf turns I comment to my family that I can smell fall coming and they all roll their eyes at me (and go dig out their sweaters) LOL. I am most definately a Fall person. I was born and married in October even. Something about the season just seems to rejuvenate me like no other time can.
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I love something about all seasons except winter. I hate winter. With a passion. Primarily I hate how long it takes just to leave the house in the morning. In the middle of summer I can, if necessary, get up, perform my ablutions, get dressed and be out of the house in 15 minutes. In the winter I absolutely must blow dry my hair after the shower so it doesn't freeze, and put on at least five extra articles of clothing, all of which increases my prep time to at least 45 minutes. Plus, I have to put on makeup because winter makes me look like death, pale and ill, white with a tinge of green around the edes.

I hate the fact that it's dark when I get up and dark when I get home. I hate that I can't sit outside the back door in the morning drinking my tea. I hate, hate, hate that I have to wear socks. I hate that I can't ride my bike some days because there's too much snow on the road. I hate being cold and I hate slipping on the sidewalk. I hate shovelling snow. I hate taking transit. I hate the feel of snowflakes on my face. I hate snowflakes coating my glasses so I can't see where I'm going. I hate staticky hair and hat hair and just the general bad tack my hair takes in winter.

I hate winter.
    Oh, poor, poor Rattus!!! I'm so sorry that you hate Winter so much that over 100+ words went into HOW much you hate it. My S.O., Sally, is right in your camp. She's already mourned the "loss of Summer" since the temperatures dropped below 78 degrees in Chicago. For all the reasons you listed, and others, she's already sinking into S.A.D. disease, despite my valient attempts to assure her that there are plenty of 78 degree days ahead of us....including THIS weekend, where the highs are supposed to be 80!

Now, Rattus: : Do NOT read the rest of this post!!! You will be overwhelmed with depression and need a Lithium Cocktail to get through it!

Personally, lambi 's WINTER.

I've loved Winter my entire life, which is 54 years of loving. Although I was born in September, which you'd think would make me love Autumn first, it's always been a slam dunk winner for Winter.

Reasons I refuse to knock it down from #1:

1) To me, Winter is where you reflect, look back and use that knowledge to look forward. I grew up on a farm, so Spring/Summer/and Autumn were explosions of sound, noise, activity and color. Thrashers, combines, cows mooing, delivery trucks, crickets, cicadas....noise-noise-noise. Plus, people are scattered all over creation: going to school, going to the fields, going on vacation. Going-going-going.

All that stops in Winter. The fields are plowed under and sleeping. All the crops are harvested and either sold or "put up" for fine eating during the long Winter months. Family comes together and plays board games, watches TV together, and finishes the quilt you started last Winter.

2) Christmas!!! And New Year's!!! And it all kicks off with Thanksgiving, the last day of Autumn in my mind. You get to spend time making family favourites like Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Pot Roasts, thick vegetable soups, and crusty breads. It's cold outside and people EAT to stay warm and alive. No punny salads and tall glasses of iced tea! Nope, now it's deeply rich cocoa, made from scratch, and Snickerdoodle cookies to dip inside of the steamy mug.

3) Bed!!! BED is good!!! The sun doesn't shake you out from under the covers at 5:00 am, and neither are the crops, cows or landscaping. You can sleep in until 7:00 or 8:00 and you can go to bed early and it's perfectly allowable. Plus, I need to sleep in bedrooms at the 60 degree and under level to get a good night sleep. So, in Winter, at least two bedroom windows are cracked open for air exchange.

Down comforters. Flannel Sheets. Fluffy wool blankets. And there you are, buried underneath them like a hedgehog in her burrow!

4) The Pristine Quiet of it All: You walk outside in the other 3 seasons, and you're drowned out by noises: lawn mowers, kids calling, dogs parking, horns honking, leaf blowers, etc.

You walk outside in Winter and it's......~sh-h-h-h-h~ QUIET. Maybe a woodpecker tapping on a tree. Or hearing the "schush-schush-schush" of someone walking through the snow. Or the BEST sound....actually having it be sooooooooooo quiet, that you hear snow falling around you. I have actually recorded snow falling from the skies at my cottage in Michigan; it's this Zen-like white noise that lulls you into instant calm. Each year, like a silly goose, I have to take pictures of the first big snow. In the deep of Summer, when it's 105 degrees and I'm on my second bucket of iced tea, I haul out the videos of falling snow, and listen to the silence.

No matter HOW cold it is outside, after I fill the bird feeders and let the cat outside, I bundle up, make some coffee, brush off a chair, and sit outside, smelling the snow and listening to silence. Best Mental Health Weather there is...for me.

5) I'm Swedish/Finnish/Chippewa so it's in my genes. We.Love.Snow!!! Growing up in Minnesota, snow meant hockey and ice skating on the "crick" in the back yard, because it had finally frozen solid. It meant hay rides and tobaggon rides and snow angels. It meant snowball fights and new Winter coats, boots, mittens and gloves...sure to be lost within one month of wearing them. It meant cross country skiing and snowmobiling from house to house and having pot lucks at each home. It means candles used to light and perfume the house. It meant that your world was reduced down to the confines of your neighborhood and all of your neighbors were in the same town, for once. People you didn't see the rest of the year were finally showing up at the local diner and post office. It meant Winter Vacation and decorating the house and making Christmas Cookies and sending and receiving Christmas cards.

Winter meant...and means the World to ME.

After that, all the other seasons blend into one. They are hot, they have bugs and it means endless, back-breaking work. I think early Spring is pretty; I think early Autumn is pretty, and I despise Summer, even though I make 100% of my income during Summer.

Believe me: the irony is not lost on me!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I hate winter.

I favorite season is Autumn! I love the leaves and the crisp air that's not too cold. I can also smell it in the air. When I was a kid we used to call it the "back to school smell."

As a child, I used to love winter. Now I think winter is better left to pictures on Christmas Cards. I had a job interview in northern New York state and I can't see myself living that far north. They have been asking me to come for the past 3 years as part of their recruitment plan, but I keep coming up with excuses. I don't want to waste their time if I know I don't want to relocate there. Part of me would also like to live in Montreal, but again, only during the warm months.

lambikins, if I could spend my winters baking pies and doing needlework by the fireplace, I would love it too (I will admit that it is pretty sometimes). Unfortunately, my little grey cubicle beckons and the banker pushes me out the door whilst waving my mortgage in the air, so I can't spend those few months in more pleasant pursuits. My feet are feeling sympathetically cold and wet as I type this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

lambikins, if I could spend my winters baking pies and doing needlework by the fireplace, I would love it too (I will admit that it is pretty sometimes). Unfortunately, my little grey cubicle beckons and the banker pushes me out the door whilst waving my mortgage in the air, so I can't spend those few months in more pleasant pursuits. My feet are feeling sympathetically cold and wet as I type this.
    Oh, Rattus, I'm not a bum in Winter! It's just that I'm working a normal 40 hour week, with weekends OFF, rather than the insane 80 hour + weeks that I have from mid-April through late October. Plus, I lose my appetite for food in the Summer, so cold weather finally allows me to eat. Today, it's a high of 65, cold, windy and rainy so I'm off from work. I just made a Baked Potato Soup that I skarfed 2 bowls down...yum-my!

I'm knitting a set of virtual wool booties for your cold and wet tootsies!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast