+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pop up filters..

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair

pop up filters..

Anyone have them installed?????????????
    I have Meaya's popup filter and it works well, but still get pop ups, so I went to their site and found this..
    Adware / Spyware

Although you have Popup Ad Filter installed, you may still get pop-ups on a site that does NOT use pop-ups, even when you are not online. The most likely cause for this is that there is a type of software known as "spyware" or "adware" installed somewhere on your system. Many "free" programs will have these types of programs packaged in with them, but do not clearly indicate that this is the case (some of the most common are the "Gator" brand of products which are sometimes installed with instant messing products, and the various "peer to peer" file sharing networks such as Kazaa, etc). These programs commonly run in the background on your computer, and then cause popup ads to appear while you surf sites that do not have any advertising of their own.

Here's a list of some adware and spyware:

1. GAIN Network: Gator, DivX
    2. Morpheus / Music City
    3. Kazza
    4. Hotbar
    5. SaveNow

Meaya Software has released "Meaya Adware Remover", which may help remove the most common adware programs that spam web users with popup ads. Click on the link below to download. It's free!
    Meaya Adware Remover

For more comprehensive detection of spyware, check out another freeware -
    Spybot - Search and Destroy

Messenger SPAM

If you see text messages popping up with advertisements on your Windows NT/2000/XP machine, a spammer may be abusing the Windows Messenger Service. More information about Messenger SPAM
    SO I got their meaya adware remover. I'll give that a go.
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

I use SpyBot Search and Destroy. It hasn't failed me yet.

If you want GOOD anti spyware and ad-ware software, you need Ad-Aware, by lavasoft. It's free, and they do the best job of anyone out there on keeping up with the bad guys.

www.lavasoft.com

Ad aware is great for spyware. That's what I use. A great free anti-popup tool is the google toolbar. It's highly effective against popups and has a few other neat features.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I have pop-up Stopper and it really works great. I also have Norton Internet Security and it seems to be good at hitting pop-ups too. BTW Pop up Stopper is free. www.panicware.com
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    I have pop-up Stopper and it really works great. I also have Norton Internet Security and it seems to be good at hitting pop-ups too. BTW Pop up Stopper is free. www.panicware.com
    Ooh! I have that too! It's served me quite well, even though you have to hit the Ctrl key every time you click on a link that directs you to a pop-up box for the information.

I have Netscape 7.1. The pop-up blocker is fantastic!

FORT Fogey
    I don't know what it is but it's this extra toolbar up at the top of the page and it has a google search box on one side and then a pop up stopper on the other. It works really well because with the other pop up stoppers, they don't let you bring up a second window, like when you want to see all of the smilies at once. That really got on my nerves so I made my dad take it off. This Google toolbar thingy works really well.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    If you want GOOD anti spyware and ad-ware software, you need Ad-Aware, by lavasoft. It's free, and they do the best job of anyone out there on keeping up with the bad guys.

www.lavasoft.com
    John, we have this too, but the trouble is, the kids use Kazza.. and apparantly if you delete certain ad-ware software, it doesn't work right? Thats what they tell me anyway.

THANKS all. I am going to look into a few of those.
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

Yeah, Kazaa and some of the other music download software automatically load pop-up software on your machine. That was the first time I used ad-aware. I haven't had much trouble on this machine, but at work I downloaded the Google toolbar and it's amazing how well it works. I'd recommend it. You can let trusted sites continue to pop up stuff, when it's necessary.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast