+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What memories come to mind when you look at the stars at night?

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...

What memories come to mind when you look at the stars at night?

Here is a question to ponder...

Do you have any special memories that come to mind when you see the starry night sky? I'm sure that we could think of many instead of just one, so please share your favorites.

For example, when I see a clear starry sky, I am reminded of several times when either a special friend or several of my family members spent a quiet night gazing for comets, meteors, or just enjoying the view. I think of cross country rides from California to Mississippi and back when I was a kid. As my parents drove across the desert highways of New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas, I would rest and watch the moon follow us along the way. We listened to the AM stations play old country music and trucker songs, and the sky stretched out for miles and miles.

I sometimes think of a trip I made to Montana where we were able to stretch out on cots and track the satellites as they passed by.

Nowadays, when I look up and see the stars at night, I say a prayer of blessing for an estranged friend. We used to enjoy stargazing together, and even though we are out of communication for now, looking at the night sky brings back happy memories of when our friendship was strong.

Finally, seeing the night sky simply brings a sense of awe and humility. After a stressful day where we can sometimes get caught up in our own little worlds, dramas, and worries, seeing the beauty and expanse of the universe helps to put life into a better perspective.

Ok, now it's your turn...

I think of, um, the stars?

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Time travel. You know viewing the stars is like looking back in time. Remember that the stars are a long way away, so it take a long time for the light to travel far enough for us on earth to see it. So, the stars have probably moved since then, so what we actually see is the light from where the stars USED to be.

The infinity of the universe, and how small a speck of dust this planet really is.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I think ...

"What the freaking hell am I doing on this sucky part of the world?"

Well, when I am in a good mood

"I feel lucky to be alive to see this..."

For a long time I didn't really ponder the stars. You see, where I grew up, (NYC) i remember that when i was young you could see a few stars, but now, none at all. In order to see the stars, you'd have to go far out of town, (like say a two hour drive to a place like Newburgh). So for me, seeing stars always reminds me of camping trips, sleep away camps and fun times.

Now that I can see the stars every night (I'm far enough from Seattle now to see them). I'm still fascinated.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I wonder how long till that planet killing meteor is going to hit earth.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    I wonder how long till that planet killing meteor is going to hit earth.
    its supposed to be a few million years... You should have enough time to get your groceries done.... even if you are behind one of those really old slow people that take days to pay the cashier.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Looking up at the starts makes me realize that the universe probably doesn't revolve around me after all. If I'm sitting in my apartment worried that the weight of the world is on my shoulders, looking at the stars and considering the multitude of life that is out there, and all around me, it's easy to reassure myself that, really, what are the chances? Humbling.

They remind me of a future I haven't lived yet. But will one day.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I will think of aliens too.

Whether they exists and stuff.

And I haven't seen a shooting star before.

Wonder anyone have ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast