+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What memories come to mind when you look at the stars at night?

Holy cow, Glennajo. What a sad story. *hugs*
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Whenever I think of stars, I think of my best friend and I sitting on the grass that grew on the old soccer field, legs akimbo, waiting for the "open-sky" movie to flicker its first bright sequence on the vast silver screen. Breathless with childish anticipation, we craned our necks upwards to peer at the sky black and huge above us, and it seemed (at the time) that the stars suspended high in their alien solitude were at the source of the magic that transformed everything: us, the night, and the soccer field.

Glennajo, that was such an awful thing to happen.

I don't know what to say. The only thought that comes to mind is that Amy is now a brilliant, shining star up in the sky. She can watch over you, even when you don't see her.

If she never knew the train was coming, then her last happy memory was of you and your other friends. Kind of like having such sweet thoughts before going to sleep.

I'm sorry about your friend.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    That's beautiful, mstvfan.

When I look into the sky at night, I think of all the times I am wth my family and we're all getting along. We pay skipbo and snack all night. We listen to a strange mix of music but it all works for us. It's cool to just hang out with them.

I also remember spending time with my best friends. I mean, all of those late nighters we pulled for school together, or after-parties for homecoming or winter ball. I think about watching t.v. with my boyfriend and my three best friends. Just good company. Togetherness...
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Come sit by me Glennajo - I have a sad one too.

In October of 1990 I was waiting for my husband to get home from working at his aircraft maintenance business when his partner called to say that Mark had gone flying that afternoon and never returned. He was supposed to have flown to a nearby airport to have lunch with a friend, but didn't show up. It was now 9:00 and his partner was worried. I called my father-in-law who called a bunch of friends and they all went up looking for the plane which we figured was sitting in the dessert out of gas. We thought Mark and his friend who had gone with him would be sitting by a campfire waiting for someone to pick them up. It was too dark for them to see anything, so they called the civil air patrol who scheduled an early morning search. I put our kids (2 and 5) to bed and called began a long night of waiting.

After a while I went to sit on our front porch because Mark and I had spent a lot of hours stargazing together and talking about the bigness of the universe and the limitless potential there was in it. The night was clear and I could see lots of stars and an almost full moon, which I was relieved about because I knew it would give Mark some light if he was stuck in the middle of somewhere. The fact that we were both probably staring at the same moon gave me comfort and a feeling of connection to him. My chief worry was that he had forgotten to take his jacket with him and I knew he would be cold which he hated. I figured he would unpack his parachute and wrap up in that, but what if he was hurt? What if he was trapped? It never crossed my mind that he might be dead.

But of course, he was dead and had been since noon that day. I found out when I called the airport to check on the search and a stranger answered and told me "oh yeah, they found that plane and it's charred". I immediately pictured Mark walking down some dirt road dreading having to explain to his father that he'd wrecked his plane, and said "wow, so where are the guys?". The stranger said "what guys? oh, the pilots...they're charred too".

So, when I look at the stars I think of that night, and of all the other nights that Mark and I spent imagining our future and the nights we would spend explaining the constellations to our children and talking about their limitless potential.

Sorry to be so heavy, but October is a hard month for me and venting helps me a little.

Here's Mark:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MollyRose; 10-08-2003 at 10:06 AM.

What a sad story, Molly. You are in my thoughts.

Oh Molly, I wish I had something comforting to say. I'm sorry you went through that. I wish you hadn't had to. He was a very handsome guy.

You're in my thoughts, Molly.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Oh, Molly Rose. I'm so sorry about Mark.

That idiot who answered the phone should have been dragged by the heels through a desert. What an insensitive moron!

Anyway, it's good, but sad that you will always have a reminder of your husband in the stars. The stars are always there whether it is day or night, clear or foggy. I found this poem on-line and hope that is it okay.

Meet Me In The Stars
    by Geri Mooren

As I am saying good night at the end of the day,
    And you are not here, but many miles away,
    My heart is so empty and so lonely inside,
    As I wipe away a tear I am trying to hide.

I close my eyes and try to go to sleep,
    But with the sadness inside I begin to weep.
    Suddenly I remember what you once said to me,
    Just meet me in the stars, waiting for you I will be.

When distance tends to keep us apart,
    Remember I still hold you near in my heart.
    When the night together, can't be ours,
    Just close your eyes and meet me in the stars.

Meet me in the stars, I'll be waiting there for you.
    With a bottle of wine and glasses for two.
    Just close your eyes and there you will see,
    Waiting in the stars, just for you I will be.

Remembering those words, I begin to smile,
    And gently close my eyes, lessening the miles.
    I can see the stars, oh how beautifully arranged,
    But you are not there, no hug to exchange.

I sit alone waiting, with hope in my heart,
    No longer wanting to be kept apart.
    Suddenly in the distance, a shadow appears,
    A tear rolls down my face and the image is clear.

There is no question it is you that I see,
    Waiting in the stars, just like you promised to me.
    You hold out your hand as you become near,
    And put it in mine saying, "I miss you, my dear. "

Suddenly there's gentle music, filled with romance,
    You gently pull me close, we begin to dance.
    Just meet me in the stars, that is where I will be.
    A special place in the stars just for you and for me.

I'm so sorry, Molly.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast