+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitmamins/Supplements/herbs

I used to take liquid "Fergon", but I haven't found the liquid in a long time. It's a strong iron suppliment usually suggested to pregnant women.

I pretty much agree with John here, a healthy diet is the best way to get all the nutrients you need. I do take calcium every now and then however, because I have almost entirely quit drinking milk and eating dairy, and I fear osteoporosis . The problem with the supplements is, that often one vitamin needs another to work or to even be absorbed, so even if you take tons of them, it is not said that your body will actually make use of them. I am not against supplements, I just don't think they are the very best solution.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I take calcium vitamins and nothing else. I, too, agree with John about having a varied and healthy diet.

Quote Originally Posted by blindart
    http://floraleads.com/herbs4health.htm has a list of some of the side effects of herbal remedies such as valerian root. You should do your own research on the subject. It's good to remember that just because these things occer naturally, that doesn't mean they don't have side effects. The side effects have just been studied less and aren't listed on the container because they didn't need approval from the FDA.

I know the list I linked to doesn't include all the side effects, because I know of some from St. John's Wort that aren't listed there - that's why I suggest you do some research before putting anything "medicinal" in your body.
    Thanks for the heads up. I just bought valerian root, the standardized capsules. They also had extract standardized which was gel capsule form. NOt sure what the difference is. Is the gel supposed to be more potent or something? anyways, i took one and felt more sedated, but when I woke up, i felt more hyper than usual. It could have been other things, and not the root. Going to still try it and see how it goes. Any bad signs, I'll quit it.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    I have been looking into herbal supplements for a specific problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and been able to find an herbal remedy that helped.

Anyway, when I was pregnant, I was prescribed antibiotics for almost the entire duration. This weakened my immune system to the point that now, almost two years later, I am still having problems. I catch everything now. I constantly have colds and stuff.

The 'Wellness Formula' that Molly Rose mentioned seemed to be an occasional boost to the system. Has anyone heard of anything that can be used regularly to 'rebuild' your immune system? I realize no one on here is a doctor, but I was just curious if anyone had used something that worked.
    I take a 1 multi-vitamin, 1 co-q10 (100 mg), omega-3 (1000mg) 1 or 2 a day, you can go up to 3 if you want, per day.

There's vitamin e, c, d, b6, b12, calcium and all that good stuff in the multivitamin. I don't know if it's working, cause i eat pretty good already and some exercise. The co-q10 supposed to work well with the vitamin E, and i read is great anti oxident and for the heart. The omega-3 helps the heart, lower tryglyceride levels and people with high cholesteral and blood pressure. I can actually feel the omega 3 working, my blood seems to flow easier and less blood pressure. The others, I don't know if it's working. Actually, i hardly got sick when I wasn't on them, but im getting older so what the heck, why not start on them now, lol.

Basically though, eat right, if a food taste good like ice cream or pizza or fries, but makes you sick afterwards, don't eat it anymore, learn from mistakes, try eating fruits as snacks, it don't taste as good as candy or junk food, but the more you do it, the better they taste, and eventually, the candy and oily foods will disgust you from just the sight of it, but it takes practice, but it will come naturally if you stick to it, and exercise, even though it can be hard work and people hate it, it's one of the best things you can do to rejuvanate your body and build your immune system. Also, good air circulation and ventilation for your lungs, bad air can hurt your immune system, too. Ofcourse drinking and smoking can do that, too lol. Ahh, you probably knew all this, but sometimes good to hear it from someone else, huh. lol, goodluck.

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    I am trying to stay in the habit of taking a multivitamin and a calcium supplement each day. I used to take a supplement called evening primrose for my skin, but it also helped with pms relief.

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i take b12 shots 1x a month for energy
    I'd like to know more about B12 shots. How long does the energy last? Do you have to get them from the doctor?
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

I take B-50 Complex, 1000 mg C, E, calcium, echinacea, golden seal, a multi-vitamin, more I can't think of right now. I'm not sure if they work for me but I've been on them so long I'd be afraid to stop. You know, it's like how bad off might I be if I didn't take this stuff. LOL

I don't trust shots. Flu shots, vac shots or anything inserted in you, forget it. If your immune system isn't strong, then it can have a reverse effect and make you sick. I'll just stick to swallowing things. Eat right and exercise is better than anything you can take. I just ran for 15 minutes, better feeling than any supplement I've ever taken.

I'm 15... So I don't really take anything oo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast