Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you get addicted?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Let's hear it for dysfunction!

Is there any other function...really?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Let's hear it for dysfunction!
    I'm with you on that, 'cause it's pretty darned prevalent, so let's hear it for dysfunction, dat function -- heck -- all functions!!!

Congrats and good luck to you, Rattus! I know you can do it and we're here to cheer you on.

And Ana Bannana, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm glad you're aware, though, and I wish you the best.

After many years of abusing many things, I gave up my alcohol in 1980 (with only 2 noticable lapses). I gave up my sex addiction when I was married and even after divorcing in 1985 have not dated yet. Next to my alcohol, cigarettes and Mountain Dew were my drugs of choice. After my heart attack 3 years ago, I gave up my Mountain Dew for non-caffeinated Mountain Dew (it's just not the same). I've not yet been able to give up the cigarettes. I'm hoping to trade sex for cigarettes some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    **BUMPS THREAD**

Today's the 19th anniversary of when I gave up drinking.

What a huge difference it's made -- I can't believe I'm even the same person.

For me, at least, life's a lot better without that in it.

Happy Anniversary Day to you, Pom! Way to go!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I used to smoke, drink, and do all kinds of drugs on a daily basis-- totally out of control. I had most of those addictions from the time I was a teenager till my early 30's, then gave 'em up somehow. I can't believe it's even ten years since I smoked a cigarette! I do still drink enough to get a buzz every now and then, but it's maybe three times a year, not three times a week. And no more falling-down, blacking out drunk binges, thank you. I finally seem to be 'ok' enough not to feel the need to do any of that stuff. I know I still have stuggles with eating too much , but I'm actually starting to lose a little now-keeping my fingers crossed. I actually find the food thing harder than stopping smoking, drugs or whatever else, because you do have to eat!
    Oh well, no wonder I'm nuts considering my background. But at least now I'm a non-toxic, harmless, and fairly happy nut!
    And attagirl, Pom!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    I never thought about being addicted to chap stick until I read your post. By gosh, my name is roseskid and I am addicted to chap stick, too. I also have chap stick in almost every room of the house and I'm very picky about the brand and flavor. Do not like "Chap Stick" brand at all (too waxy for my liking). Must be Blistex Medicated Balm (very minty) . I even keep some on my nightstand, for in-the-middle-of-the-night cravings.

Oh, and I also admire all of you who have kicked some bad habits. Be proud.
    I would like to say that I am 100% addicted to chap stick. It is not uncommon for me to carry two tubes in my pocket and one in my purse. Every once in a while I will find myself without some, not a good day. My favorite brand is Burt's bees, I love the stuff! I also keep some on the nightstand, I only use Kiehl's at night, my special night stand brand, I know a little psycho.

Also, congrats Pom on the great job for the past 19 years!

Congrats on the past 19 years, Pom.

I smoke and quit often, I'm a very good quitter
    I went through a buttertart addiction for about a year
    home at last

Fort Member
    I dont think I have an addictive nature, I tend to have trends that I try a lot of something then I stop but have never actually been addicted to something, except for TV.
    I have been an addict since I was a kid and I think that unlike a drug or food or cigarettes or excersize it constantly changes so I never actually get my fill of it
    I watch on average 6 hours a day during the week and double that on the weekends. The television is always on from the minute I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night (it is switched off while I am at work). While I am at work I log onto here and realitynewsonline just to keep up to date and find out what is happening with shows that we dont even get here. I find out ahead of time what happened in my fav shows and then go home and watch them knowing what will happen. I tape hours of stuff to watch on the weekends we have two videos so I can tape two shows and watch another. Even if there is only one show on I like I will flick between channels to watch bits and pieces of other shows just so I dont miss anything. I can effectively watch two shows at the same time. It drives my husband insane. For years I resisted getting cable TV as I was so scared of what would happen to me if I had more than five channels to choose from. We have had cable TV for 7 years now and I can not live without it, have forgotten why I didnt want it. I tape cable shows for my friends at work and we watch them during our lunch break. I start to have withdrawls if I go to someones place for dinner and they dont have it on in the background. Its not like I dont go out, I do, we go out to restaurants for dinner once a week and I usually go out for drinks once a fortnight, this is when the tapes come in handy and if there is a show on I really need to watch I arrange dinner around it.
    I am a social smoker as well, and I figure that the times I smoke is when there is no TV around and the smokes keep me calm through the pangs of withdrawl. hahaha
    OMG I sound so tragic but I figure I cant be the only TVaholic on this site

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Well, its nice to know that there are others out there like me! I use to drink alot in high school (typical) but I've never done any type of drugs (family member was an undercover narcotics agent...I was scared sh*tless to try anything!!! LOL)....Probably my biggest addictions now are TV (i.e.reality shows) and the internet. I use to be hooked on crime shows..every night was some show to watch-from Miami Vice to Homicide to Hill Street Blues to Law and Order to NYPD Blue. Then I had my "er" and Chicago Hope phase. Then I had my soap opera phase (Young & Restless, As the World Turns, Guiding Light). Then my TLC phase (A Baby story, What not to Wear, Wedding Story). Then my Oprah and Dr. Phil stage (still have the Oprah stage). Then along came reality TV and my life hasn't been the same...it all started with Survivor. I absolutely could not miss an episode. I can remember one time I was in Hawaii on a trip and was going to be there on a Thursday and I had set my VCR to record here at home and while in Hawaii no one was "allowed" to read the paper, watch TV or anything on that Friday so that I wouldn't know who was voted off before I had a chance to watch. From Survivor-it has escalated. I watch a helluva lot of reality shows religiously but I also watch just enough snippets of other shows to know whats going on with them. There have been many a argument with my fiancee on how much reality shows I watch and how it consumes (his word) my life. Yeah, he's probably right but as I have made sure to point out to him..he knows where I am (watching TV) and its harmless.(kinda like his Alabama football addiction!) There are worse things I could be out doing. The only reality shows I have never gotten into are like Temptation Island, Paradise Hotel, etc. I don't like the ones that "seem" to encourage cheating on your partner. But I could probably rattle off anything you might want to know about any contestant on AI, BB, Survivor, TAR, DWTS, SYTYCD, TBL, MTB 1, 2 and 3...the list could go on and on and on....
    The internet....its so easy to catch yourself spending hours and hours going from one link to another. Message boards are highly addictive and it seems like every other sentence out of my mouth is "Well I read on the message boards...". But I've noticed that I'm also one of the first ones people come to when they need to know where to look for things on the internet so I guess its a double edged sword.
    In the scheme of things, my addictions aren't all that bad or unhealthy so I think I'll stick with the 2 I have.........

+ Reply to Thread