+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you get addicted?

FORT Fogey

Sober Since 1986

After having a bad drinking problem for 10 years I've been sober for almost 18 years; I can't believe it's been that long already.

The one good thing about my addictive nature is that I grabbed onto the idea of getting sober and was as tenacious in my commitment to succeed in sobriety as I was about continuing the drinking (when I was doing the drinking, that is).

I'm getting older now, and I take lots and lots of things in moderation. I think the only thing I ever really overdid was the drinking, and I've learned a lot about the benefits of moderation in all areas of life as a result of addressing my overindulgence in that one area.

Life's a lot better as a result of going through all that.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    Sober Since 1986
    Good for you, WickedGood.

I'm addicted to cigarettes. I've been smoking for over ten years. I know I should quit, but I just don't want to. I don't know what I'd do to fill up that time, and I'm afraid I would eat more, which could kill me too.

I'm also addicted to Chap Stick. I have at least one tube for every room in my house, one in my purse, and two in the car. My favorite is strawberry, but I have all kinds, the newest flavor being mint, which is good too!

Congratulations, WickedGood. I applaud you.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Doctor prescribed a 'non-addictive' sedative, cut to 1 year later and I'm going through withdrawal and my skin is crawling and he's still insisting that I can't possibly be addicted, but now they know better. Beware of Zopiclone or Imovane.
    Lotus, I'm right there with you! Beware of prescription drugs in general. I over use migraine meds (not to get high...just to keep the rebound headaches at bay) and sleep meds. Thing is with prescriptions...you get them from your trusted family doctor and then the dependence just sneaks up on you. All that time you thought you were just being a good patient and following the docs orders!

Addictions run in my family. Lot's of alcoholism for several generations. I would probably be an alchololic if the stuff didn't give me such killer migraines. Until the migraine hits - I absolutely LOVE how alcohol makes me feel. I never smoked (well, not tobacco anyway) but I did LOTS of drugs in the '60s. I don't believe I was addicted to them...I quit easily enough when I decided to have a family...but if there had been no kid in the oven...who knows?
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Lotus, I'm right there with you! Beware of prescription drugs in general......................b ut I did LOTS of drugs in the '60s. I don't believe I was addicted to them...I quit easily enough
    I've had a couple of surgeries in the past 2 years and the nurses in the hospital were amazed at my lack of use of the pain meds. I just threw out my lortabs left over from surgery last month. I have no desire to get addicted to them. I've seen it, heard about read, about it too many times. I grew up un the 60's and did my share of illicit drugs and have been there for several friends that have gone through rehab. Luckily, I never had to go that route. To all of you that have, my hat is off to you.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks, you guys. Quitting was hell but well worth it. I don't go to meetings or anything anymore but I'm glad I did for those first couple of years. People who meet me nowadays just think I'm "healthy," they don't have any clue that I used to be a wicked bad alky! That's a good thing, that nobody can picture me living that old life.

The good thing about going through it is that it causes me to keep my eyes peeled for other overindulgences, and that keeps me out of trouble with other stuff.

I freely admit to being addicted to computers, though, both at work and at home. And yeah, I work too much and play too little, so that's gotta change one of these days. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by glennajo
    I'm also addicted to Chap Stick. I have at least one tube for every room in my house, one in my purse, and two in the car. My favorite is strawberry, but I have all kinds, the newest flavor being mint, which is good too!
    I never thought about being addicted to chap stick until I read your post. By gosh, my name is roseskid and I am addicted to chap stick, too. I also have chap stick in almost every room of the house and I'm very picky about the brand and flavor. Do not like "Chap Stick" brand at all (too waxy for my liking). Must be Blistex Medicated Balm (very minty) . I even keep some on my nightstand, for in-the-middle-of-the-night cravings.

Oh, and I also admire all of you who have kicked some bad habits. Be proud.
    Last edited by roseskid; 08-31-2004 at 07:38 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fogey
    Oh yeah, I have a wicked addiction to Afrin, too, but it's currently in remission!

I am crazy about Starburst.. every payday, one of the first things I do is go buy a big bag of Starburst... well, 3 bags to be exact.. The Yellow bag, the Blue one and the Green one... they are just rockin' candy I like them alot... so I'd say they are my secret addiction...
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    I am quite addicted to coffee. I'm too afraid to quit because they help me focus.
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will."

+ Reply to Thread