+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    P.S. Also wanted to add that the published anthology put out by poetry.com is most likely to be read only by those who had to *buy* the anthology in the first place - in other words, the aspiring-writers themselves. That's how poetry.com creates profit, you see.

P.P.S. Yes, I've also checked - poetry.com does have some writing resources available. So, if you want to treat it purely as a writing discussion/learning forum, you'd be alright to do so. Just please, don't treat it as a veritable publishing house.

Stargazer, I know you weren't advocating that Haejin buy things from them. However, her original dilemma was concerning publishing, not writing, per se.
    I completely agree with all that you've said. I use it to see what others are writing and to use their resources (rhyming dictionary, etc). I reread Haejin's post and saw that it was publishing that she was concerned wiith over writing. You are correct that this IS NOT a publishing house and should not be used as one.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

**MOUTH TO MOUTH THREAD RESUSCITATION**

My beautiful, intelligent, generous FORTies, I need your help (did I butter you up enough?).

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the book I wrote this summer...well things have progressed and now I have a literary agent who wants a new title before she sents it out to editors (tomorrow--no pressure!).

So, not knowing what the story is about, what is your gut reaction to the following titles? Which one would you be most likely to pick up?

INTO THAT DARKNESS

ALL THAT'S BEST OF DARK AND BRIGHT (or simply DARK AND BRIGHT)

ONLY HUMAN

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN

NIGHT AND DAY

Thank you in advance for your help. I kiss your feet! Smooch, smooch, smooch!
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

I kinda like the first one, spegs.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

First congratulations, spegs, on your accomplishment! That's so exciting!

On my first initial gut reaction I liked the titles "Only Human" and "Nothing Like the Sun".

Good luck!
    Who shot who in the what now?

Congratulations, Spegs!!

I like "Into that Darkness" and "Nothing Like the Sun," personally.

Greenie--Thanks (<--edited to point out that that is me kissing your feet, and not flirting with you) I'm pretty excited about it

Stargazer--That's the one my agent loves, but I'm getting a real Kafka "The horror, the horror" vibe off of it. The book is really not that dark. For one thing, it's YA, for another, it's mostly a romance. But I have a feeling she'll talk me into it, so I'm glad you like it!!!
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Thanks Mantenna--how could anyone doubt the master of the movie forum?!

Without having any Idea what the book is about and without the aid of a cover for clues I would most likely pick up a book called Into that Darkness.

Maybe it would be helpful if we gave you our gender and age. That way you can see what people who are in the target audience that you wrote the story for (assuming that there are some here) would pick as a title.

BTW - male age 32
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Hmm, if it's a romance, then I might like "Nothing But the Sun" better. I'm guessing I would be a member of your target audience (Female 28) if that helps.

ETA oops, just saw the YA (young adult), so I guess I wouldn't be your target

spegs!

+ Reply to Thread