+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Never been much of a writer, I did take a creative writing class in college and that was fun but never could focus on much more then a short story.

Every now and then I'll get inspired and write very long e-mails to people about my life or work but that is as creative as it gets now.

Of course my work life is spent basically writing the story of other people's lives in assessments, so I guess I get my non fiction historical writing in daily.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Okay, apparently Paulie, Shazzer and I are the only weirdos out there that buy books about how to write a book.

No, I really did enjoy it immensely. His process is similar to mine in many ways.
    Too bad it doesn't seem to work as well for me.
    Add me to that list. I'm still figuring out how to get my poerty published. I've also written a few short stories here and there.

Fade to black
    I've read wayyyyy too many books on writing, including Kings.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Shall we give you a gold star, hazy?
    Who shot who in the what now?

Quote Originally Posted by haejin11377
    Add me to that list. I'm still figuring out how to get my poerty published. I've also written a few short stories here and there.
    If you haven't been there before, go visit www.poetry.com. They have a lot of resources and run a poetry contest. They choose a couple of hundred poems a year (out of the thousands they receive) to put in an anthology. If you are chosen as a semifinalist, you are included in the anthology. They do have a secondary agenda of selling the poet the published book, but you aren't required to purchase it to be included. Because its a collective work, you also retain the right to your poem. It could be a good starting point
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Shall we give you a gold star, hazy?
    Is that anything like a premium member?
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    If you haven't been there before, go visit www.poetry.com. They have a lot of resources and run a poetry contest. They choose a couple of hundred poems a year (out of the thousands they receive) to put in an anthology. If you are chosen as a semifinalist, you are included in the anthology. They do have a secondary agenda of selling the poet the published book, but you aren't required to purchase it to be included. Because its a collective work, you also retain the right to your poem. It could be a good starting point
    Thanks!

No, no, and no. I would say that selling the poet the published anthology is their primary agenda. Poetry.com, otherwise known as the National Library of Poetry, is one of the most notorious "legit" scammers in the writing industry. Don't be fooled, please.

Their Aliases, Affiliations:
    --National Library of Poetry
    --International Society of Poets
    --International Poetry Hall of Fame
    --Watermark Press

Website Locations:
    --Poetry.com
    --Poets.com
    Picture.com
    Ephotograph.com
    freephotocontest.com
    photomuseum.com.

Poetry Ghastly, Published Fastly
    by John Woestendiek
    The Philadelphia Inquirer

To help you further understand what the National Library of Poetry is all about, let me tell you what else [in addition to the opportunity to purchase their poetry anthology] I've been offered in the last year (and also take this opportunity to apologize to my mail carrier):

My poem mounted on a walnut-finish plaque ($38), read by a professional reader on cassette tape ($29.95), and printed on laminated wallet-sized cards (96 for $49.95); an invitation to join the International Society of Poets, also located in Owings Mills, Md., and attend its annual convention ($595); election into the International Poetry Hall of Fame, and a permanent John Woestendiek Poetry Exhibit in their World Wide Web museum ($189); an application for an International Society of Poets Master Card; and a letter from a music production company saying they had read my first poem and thought it should be set to music -- either rock, soul, country, gospel or folk -- and offering to do that and send me five copies of the cassette ($299).

The total comes to well over a thousand dollars.
    Would-be poets and scam artists
    BY Allan R. Andrews,
    Editor, Pacific Stars and Stripes

[...]

Jenijoy LaBelle is professor of literature at Caltech and a critic of modern poetry. In order to read Prof. La Belle's gripe about the scam artists I've described, one would have to subscribe to the Chronicle, the newspaper of The Associated Writers Program. I doubt many readers of this column have seen that publication, so I'll summarize the professor's investigation.

I hope this will alert many sincere and devoted amateur poets to hang on to their money and share their writings with trusted friends, mentors and established and reputable publications.

Prof. LaBelle conducted a test stimulated by an ad for a poetry contest. I've seen this ad in magazines such as The Atlantic Monthly. ``New Poetry Contest $48,000.00 in Prizes,'' the headline of the ad screams.

The ad explains that ``The National Library of Poetry to award 250 total prizes to amateur poets in coming months.''

Suspicious, Prof. La Belle talked three friends into submitting entries to one of The National Library's contests. Her first friend submitted a patchwork poem comprised of random sayings collected from Chinese fortune cookies. A second friend copied a lyric poem of Emily Dickinson's and en--tered it in the contest under her own name. The third friend wrote an original piece of irrational doggerel about female breasts.

All three of Prof. LaBelle's friends were notified that they were semi-finalists in the contest and that they should be ``genuinely proud of this accomplishment'' because they were possessed of ``a rare talent.''

By now you see how the bait and the vanity have been hooked. The next step, like one lifted from ``The Sting,'' is to get the ``poet'' to part with his or her money.

``We wish to publish your poem in a forthcoming anthology,'' Prof. LaBelle's friends were informed. To have a copy of this book, entitled, ``Sparkles in the Sand,'' the winners were urged to send in $49.95, plus $4 for postage and handling.

For an additional $20, the publishers would add a short biographical note about the poet. This note was allegedly designed to bring the writers to the attention of the media and the public.

Later, these ersatz poets were offered a chance to have their poems mounted under Lucite on a walnut plaque, an offer costing $38. Furthermore, they could have their poems recorded on a cassette tape for $29.95.

The tape, according to The National Library of Poetry, would feature a well-known narrator and baroque music accompaniment.

LaBelle' friends were offered a chance to join the International Society of Poets, with a membership fee of $125. Each one was notified he or she had been nominated as ``Poet of the Year,'' and could attend an induction ceremony in Washington, D.C., for a convention fee of $495, plus travel and hotel
    expenses.

``Whoever sends in some lame lines becomes a semi-finalist,'' LaBelle notes. From that point on, the scam is on.

The published anthologies, according to the literature professor, are ``jumbles of trivial or downright bad verse.''

Vanity and gullibility, LaBelle concludes, allow this operation to exploit would-be poets for its own greed and profit.

``Maybe nothing illegal is going on,'' LaBelle writes, ``but something unethical as well as unpoetical certainly is.''

And our vanity, this little test shows, can be costly when plied by a scam artist.
    Here's what the good folks at WockyJivvy tried in order to reveal the lie behind the supposed "contest" they've got going on at poetry.com.

This poem was an attempt to write something so dreadful that the National Library of Poetry would not select it as a semi-finalist. Unfortunately, it was selected and the author thereby given the opportunity to purchase an anthology which would include this work.

"My Cat Has Fleas"
    -Claire A. Amundsen Schaeffer

My cat is chewing on her butt;
    It makes me think she is a nut.

I try to drown the fleas in spray;
    They jump and shout and just yell "Hey!"

I try to drown the fleas in powder;
    they eat it like it's fine clam chowder.

I try to drown the fleas in gas;
    that really burned my kitty's ass.
    "Nicky Nacky Noo"
    - Stephen Abutlol

Tum tum tum de tum
    This is apoem I sings a lot
    to make me very vary hapy.
    I fink it will look good on a poster two.
    and a cofey mug to shows my frineds
    at work so they no i am an internashunal
    poet who mite even winz a prise!
    Then i wuld be vary famus
    and hav lotz of muney
    wich wuld be vary funny
    coz some of them sayd I was
    eliterite wich sucks
    (I hopes I can say sucks, if not
    please put a defferent word instead.)
    and also I just sore the poem
    has to be 20 lines long so
    I am counting the lynes again.
    This is line nienteen
    and this in number twenty. Thanx. The End

Poetry.com found the artistic vision of "Nicky Nacky Noo" well suited to their anthology, A Palette of Life...

Now, do these two poems sound like "winning" poems to you? "Unique perspective and artistic vision", indeed.:rolleyes It should be obvious that the National Library of Poetry is just out to make a buck or two off unsuspecting and naive aspiring-writers.

You are right about it being their primary agenda and you are also right to warn people about being targeted for that scam. However, as I stated above, you do not have to buy the anthology. I was recommending the WEBSITE as a resource for poets. It's great to look through all of the poetry and the advice for poets. I was not advocating that anyone buy anything from them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

P.S. Also wanted to add that the published anthology put out by poetry.com is most likely to be read only by those who had to *buy* the anthology in the first place - in other words, the aspiring-writers themselves. That's how poetry.com creates profit, you see.

P.P.S. Yes, I've also checked - poetry.com does have some writing resources available. So, if you want to treat it purely as a writing discussion/learning forum, you'd be alright to do so. Just please, don't treat it as a veritable publishing house.

Stargazer, I know you weren't advocating that Haejin buy things from them. However, her original dilemma was concerning publishing, not writing, per se.

+ Reply to Thread