+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

I find that I really enjoy discussing the process of writing, too. Probably too much, in fact. I bore people. Or else they become frightened and sprint away. I'm developing theories on humorous writing, though. I wish I'd formulated some of these notions back in college when I was the humor columnist for The Stanford Daily. I think some of my stuff from back then is pretty weak.

You can wake up now. It's over.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by brenna
    You have a book, Bumpkin? What's it called? I want to read it!
    aaah .. I'd love to tell you, but then someone would google me and learn *all* my secrets .. However, my resume terms it "An educational resource guide for teachers"

I'm seriously impressed with Spegs .. cranking out some serious verbiage .. Spegs!

One more note: Publishers don't actually want to see a full manuscript. And if they receive one in the mail, they are unlikely to read it.

What they really want is a proposal-type document. A brief synopsis of the book (think back cover copy), an outline, one or two sample chapters (to see your writing style) and the writer's bio.

If they like the work, they may ask to see additional chapters, or may make you a publishing offer based on the work you have submitted.

You don't *have* to have an agent (though it certainly helps). Publishers do accept a limited number of unsolicited manuscripts during the year.

A publisher's pet peeve? Writers who send in their full manuscripts without doing research on the genre the publisher serves. (extreme example: sending a sci-fi manual to Harlequin)

If you are serious about being published, pick up "Writer's Market" at your local bookstore. (about $40). It lists every major publisher, gives a contact name for mailing manuscripts, lists their preferred genre and tells how many solicited and unsolicted manuscripts they publish each year.

I actually would love to be a comedienne or an improv performer...or stage actress.
    I have a knack for certain types of writing (PR and Editorial Style...I'm great a selling things and ideas via the written word) and would like to get paid for that skill somehow.

Right now, I'm in that post-college "find-me-a-job-that-pays-QUICK! mode...

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    A publisher's pet peeve? Writers who send in their full manuscripts without doing research on the genre the publisher serves. (extreme example: sending a sci-fi manual to Harlequin)
    I still can't believe I never heard back from them regarding "Young Martians In Love."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I find that I really enjoy discussing the process of writing, too. Probably too much, in fact. I bore people. Or else they become frightened and sprint away. I'm developing theories on humorous writing, though. I wish I'd formulated some of these notions back in college when I was the humor columnist for The Stanford Daily. I think some of my stuff from back then is pretty weak.

You can wake up now. It's over.
    Daaannng Paulie, you need to share this stuff with me. I love talking about the "process" of writing, and do so with a very bored writer's group. I am ever hungry for more process talk.......as a matter of fact, sometimes I read about writing more than I actually DO the writing.

I have to say that it's really cool to read everyone's stories here. And spegs, man, I can't believe you churn out 500 pages!!!!! That often!!!!! You are shaming us all....

And Bumpkin...query letters!! I have been fortunate enough to hear editors read some query letters from first time authors of some really famous books. It was neat to see how they "sold" their idea so eloquently. Something to really work on: amazing query letters.
    Last edited by Shazzer; 09-29-2003 at 04:02 PM.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    I love to write...and maybe someday when I have more free time and my own computer, I'd like to be a FORT writer!

I also am quite an illustrator, and I'm thinking that I could do children's books someday. It's always been a dream of mine to be a published writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Daaannng Paulie, you need to share this stuff with me. I love talking about the "process" of writing, and do so with a very bored writer's group. I am ever hungry for more process talk.......as a matter of fact, sometimes I read about writing more than I actually DO the writing.

I have to say that it's really cool to read everyone's stories here. And spegs, man, I can't believe you churn out 500 pages!!!!! That often!!!!! You are shaming us all....

And Bumpkin...query letters!! I have been fortunate enough to hear editors read some query letters from first time authors of some really famous books. It was neat to see how they "sold" their idea so eloquently. Something to really work on: amazing query letters.
    Steven King wrote a book on the subject of the process of writing. It's called, "On Writing". Whether you are a fan of SK or not, it was very interesting to see it through the eyes of someone who has made a successful career as an author.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I read it, and it was excellent.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Steven King wrote a book on the subject of the process of writing. It's called, "On Writing". Whether you are a fan of SK or not, it was very interesting to see it through the eyes of someone who has made a successful career as an author.
    Read it. I really liked the huge reading list in the back. Just interesting to see what the man enjoys.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Okay, apparently Paulie, Shazzer and I are the only weirdos out there that buy books about how to write a book.

No, I really did enjoy it immensely. His process is similar to mine in many ways.
    Too bad it doesn't seem to work as well for me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread