+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Fun thread, Shazz. The FORT is so talented. There must be some genetic link between creativity, English degrees, and the love of reality television.

I majored in English, so of course I'm an aspiring writer. I have pretty small audience, though. I write novels for my sister, because I'm too much of a coward to go public. She's a stay at home mom, too, so she actually enjoys it when I drop a 500+ monster on her doorstep. I'm working on her christmas present right now--not even halfway through and I'm already on page 300 , poor my sister. (That's why I haven't been to the FORT as much this summer).

I did look into the whole idea of trying to get published, but I was quickly frightened off by the bewildering world of agents and queries and rejection slips. Maybe some other time when I'm feeling braver.

I have to write, though, to stay sane. Most of my live conversations revolve around "potty" and "binkie".
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

You have a book, Bumpkin? What's it called? I want to read it!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    *I've obviously been hanging around with Paulie too long*
    There's no such thing.

Hey, spegs, what kind of books do you write? I'm impressed that you have cranked out "500+ monsters"!

LG's post reminded me that I've been published, too, but it's all techie articles in trade magazines. Still exciting to see your printed work in a magazine, but it almost feels like cheating when you're writing about stuff that nobody else would know, anyway.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    There's no such thing.

Hey, spegs, what kind of books do you write? I'm impressed that you have cranked out "500+ monsters"!

I'm impressed with you too spegs. As I've mentioned before, my short attention span doesn't allow me to finish anything, much less 500 pages.

Fade to black
    There are many talented writers here. I truly enjoy Paulie's precaps, I can see his imagination running rampant, and more than anything the ability to tell a story I think is what is most important if someone wants to be a writer. Anyone can put together words, but to put them together in an entertaining fashion, not overblown or too descriptive, but just the right touch, is what it's all about for me as a reader. I want a story. Something that will make me laugh or cry or think. I don't need 5 pages of narrative telling me what a river looks like. But yea, the writers here are great. Amanda makes me laugh, Lobeck does the best AI recaps anywhere. Lots of cool peeps.

Oh, I'm going off on a tangent here. Ummm, yea, I'm a writer, kinda sorta. Some people will love how I write, others will hate it. Such is the life of a writer (I don't think anyone has universal appeal). I have a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. I have been published, short stories and poetry, but my one dream is to have a novel published. I've worked on a few here and there, even finished one, but I'm taking my time before deciding to put anything out to agents or publishers. I want to make sure the first one is as good as I can get it.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Just some fun, light fiction. Doesn't fit to well into any specific genre, which is another problem with seeking a publisher. But I mostly do it for fun and entertainment. Imaginary conversations with adults are better than no conversations with adults.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Spegs, you've been secretly churning out 500-page+ behemoths?

I'm severely impressed. "War and Peace" is in the sights for you, apparently. Mmm...would I like to sink my teeth into one of your epics (especially if they're bosom-rippers ...it's been such a long time since I've read one...the closest I get to romance in my course this year is "Pride and Prejudice" - which I've practically memorized. :rolleyes)

Why not share the fruits of your labours with us FoRTers - as an early Christmas present, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by hazyshadeof
    I've worked on a few here and there, even finished one, but I'm taking my time before deciding to put anything out to agents or publishers. I want to make sure the first one is as good as I can get it.
    The only problem with that approach is that your second novel will *never* be as good as your first. And you'll suffer from performance anxiety. And you'll stumble. And the literati will tear into you like a pack of rabid dogs..."He's a one-hit wonder!", "Sadly, we were wrong about him being the next Proust", "He's so over" and so on...and before you know it, you'll become like the decrepit and extremely eccentric patriach in "I Capture the Castle" who hasn't been able to put out *anything* in the 20 years since his first novel became a major success ...

Um, okay...scratch that. More inspirational cheers (i.e. "You can do it Hazy/Shazzer/Paulie/Bumpkin/Spegs/Feifer/Moon Skin Child/anybody-else-I've-missed! Rah rah rah!) and less of this wierd Cassandra/Sybil-channelling stuff.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I love writing. Though, I think I've already come out of the closet about becoming a writer. I'm mostly apt to writing poetry/songs. Who knows? Maybe someday... Though, I'm just hoping for a little money tog et me through college. Hopefully, my writing will help me do that. If not, oh well... At least I have a hobby, right?!?
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Writer in training

I've always written...... at least it seems as if I have. Like many of those posting I wanted to grow up and be a writer.... I've been told that my writing is very good... but that's by my friends, so who really knows? I get most of my needs met by journaling and writing poetry, but I used to also write lonnnnnnng letters filled with graphic thoughts and feelings that made others feel as if they were really involved or at least saw the movie.

I have journals dating back to my 12th year - and it has been incredibly helpful to me as an adult- I don't have to be regressed or have hypnosis to find out what happened...... I wrote it down! LOL I also have my life "historically" playing out in the many many photos I take.... I have more albums than most people have photos....

Strangely enough I've written poetry for others to give to their boy/girlfriends... which I find amusing and somewhat flattering. (I doubt their boy/girlfriends would tho!)

I also tend to be a bit much in the advise department (having had such an exciting life and all) and have been encouraged to write a book and/or have a column....

Mostly tho' as a mom and trying to get through the day, I write mainly for my own pleasure for now.
    Interesting reading other's posts here as it gives me insight for my next unwritten novel..... Cya in the funny pages.......
    Angel
    Last edited by Angel22b; 09-29-2003 at 02:14 AM.

Reality depends on your perception of things.... "what is perceived as real, is real in it's consequences"

I'm not really a "writer", but I try to help out when I can. In high school, I did take a creative writing class, but that's as far as it went. I actually only took that class so that I could be part of the UIL Writing team, and have fun traveling to the different cities.

+ Reply to Thread