+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

FORT Fogey
    Ack! No writing for me! I'm actually a pretty good writer, but that only comes from reading so many books and I just remember some of the good sentence structure and all that good stuff. But I, like Healblade, am one of those math people. I highly doubt I will major in Math in college, but if I wanted to, I probably could.

My secret ambition? To go to a culinary college, get my degree in Baking and Pastry Arts and open my own little pastry shop. :chef When I tell my friends this, they say, "Oh yeah that I would be cool! I would like to do that too! Sometimes I'll go to Safeway and buy some brownie mix from a box. What? You actually make it from scratch?" They really don't think that its something I really love to do, probably because they expect me to become like a biologist or something because I get very good grades. I bake every weekend and I would do it every day if I had time. I absolutly love it, and even if I don't become a pastry chef I still will be a serious amature in my own home. :chef Anyway, I still have 2-3 ish years to figure it all out.

I also think that the writers here a really great. You're all so dang witty!

LG.
    cool thread, and I echo the sentiments that we have a particularly gifted group of staff writers and member / posters that make the FoRT stand out amongst our competition. I'm actually a published writer in real life, but it's all incredibly technical god-awful boring stuff that people have asked me to write, so I never had to try to get it published. I'd like to be able to write something for the "popular" press, but use the FoRT as my outlet for creative writing. Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I can't believe I've missed this thread all day! Oh yeah. Work. :mad:

I have always loved reading, always had a fascination with words. Like Paulie, I feel a bit lost when I haven't written anything in awhile. Like DVM I am now in Marketing and write top-grade BS all day.

Once upon a time I got a chance to work for our local paper, and spent a couple of years there, so like Miss F, I have worked professionally as a journalist. For a variety of reasons, I left the workforce for a couple of years and was a moderately sucessful freelancer. I've been published nationally and have a *very* modest book to my credit.

I would encourage those of you who have writing dreams to consider joining one the many writer listservs out there. I was an active part of one during my freelance years and found it very useful for turning up leads and finding writing opportunities. There are many of them out there - whether your writing is technical, fiction, romance or children's books. They generally have a variety of writers there - and it is good to get tips and encouragement from those who have already learned the ropes.

We had a subgroup of folks that wanted to write a novel, but didn't know how to start and/or needed encouragement to keep at it. I led the group with weekly articles and assignments to help them reach their goal. Unfortunately, many people who swear they want to write a book, are not prepared for the *work* and committment involved in putting one together.

Like me . I have a good book in me, I promise I'll write it someday. But it's hard to find the time to sit down and crank out the words every day. The FORT has been great for me in that respect. The writing keeps me sharp, and gives me a deadline to encourage me.

We do have the *best* crop of writers on the net. I've looked at other sites, and even the network recaps - and I'm appalled by what I see there.

Signing off, RoboJohn#14

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    After my extemely UN-serious post...

I'm actually a pretty good writer. I've got a couple of short stories that I'm working on right now. I have more of the writing kind of brain, since usually my thoughts come as full sentences that tend to flow. Unfortunetly, I think that it's a hereditary thing, as my mom is a journalist and loves to write, and my dad is a book freak.

Quote Originally Posted by boredouttamind
    After my extemely UN-serious post...

I'm actually a pretty good writer. I've got a couple of short stories that I'm working on right now. I have more of the writing kind of brain, since usually my thoughts come as full sentences that tend to flow. Unfortunetly, I think that it's a hereditary thing, as my mom is a journalist and loves to write, and my dad is a book freak.
    aha, a geneticly engineered freak, I knew it.

Seriously, I have never taken writing too seriously. OK I did once when i was 16 and had something published, but since then, its just been something i play with for my own personal enjoyment.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    but since then, its just been something i play with for my own personal enjoyment.
    We are still talking about writing here, aren't we Senrik?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    We are still talking about writing here, aren't we Senrik?
    Of course! What do you guys take me for?
    Last edited by senrik; 09-25-2003 at 10:51 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

*I've obviously been hanging around with Paulie too long*

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Paulie, quite the bad influence, eh? :nono Good thing he hasn't reached to the unoffical mini-mod yet.

Quote Originally Posted by boredouttamind
    Paulie, quite the bad influence, eh? :nono Good thing he hasn't reached to the unoffical mini-mod yet.
    lol.... yes.. good thing, my little protege.

+ Reply to Thread