+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Leo
    Premium Member
    I'm a bit of a frustrated writer as well. The last time I really did a lot of it was about three years ago back in high school (and that was more re-writing than actual writing.) I don't get much chance to do that nowadays, though - the only places I really write a lot is here and in my blog. I don't make claims to greatness in either one; there are lots of people who I respect as superb writers.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I don't aspire to be a writer but I love reading though. I don't think I'll be such a great writer and thus would not want to indulge in it.

A lot of people in the FoRt can be seen as superb writers.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

FORT Fogey
    I love to write! I dreamed about being a published writer, and I might try for it, still, but it's on hold right now.

I have a journal on a website which I've posted 433 entries in about my life and I've handwritten about 8 books that are about 150 pages long. I think I'm a good writer, not great, I suck a suspense and I'm not a great comedy write, better at tragic. I think it's cuz my life is such a tragedy.

Besides the 8 books I've written, I've co-written 2 really huge stories with my friend online and I have 3 other stories online, too, one I'm co-writing with another friend.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I don't know if I would consider myself a writer. After all, you have to FINISH stories to be considered a writer. I've probably started 10,000 stories and finished only one. I think I have ADD so I get bored and distracted easily and end up never finishing.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I always wanted to write novels or fairy tales. Well, not in english mind you Although, I have seen people write in some other than their native language, but I don't know if I would be up to it. Writing in english just does not give me the pleasant shivers and feeling of satisfaction (sounds crazy now, but that's how it feels when I have written something I consider beautiful, languagewise). Perhaps someday I write my novel, even when far away from home.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

In school, I was a great writer. I thought I was so great that I'd be published. Like YA, I have started so many stories, etc, but I can never bring myself to finish them. I get a better idea and run on that tangent. Talent wise, I'm mediocre at best, but it's a hobby and release for me.

I used to be a journalist - which is not at all an appropriate creative outlet - if you want to be any good, of course.

The group of writers at the FORT (and posters, for that matter), is a very talented bunch and I'm honored to be among them.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TK421
    I am a grammar spazz. I can't see anything written wrong. It pisses my dear friends off excessively.
    Paulie? Is that you?

Actually, I have to thank Paulie. Some of you might not know that he and I have been friends for nearly 10 years. I think the majority of the writing I've done over that time was pinging email back and forth all day with him. My spelling used to be much worse than it is today , but his continual harassment on that topic has helped me immensely. Thanks P!

I have always loved to write. I always thought my work to be mediocre at best, but my mom and dad love my silly little rhyming poems. That is what they expect to get for every present giving occasion. I wish my creativity could keep up.

I have been reading tons of childrens books lately and think I could crank out a series of those. Now all I need is an interesting character and some funny situations to put him through. I am thinking that my dog Cosmo will be the victim...I mean main character. My husband has drawn some seriously great napkin art of Cosmo over the years. I could make him my illustrator. Who knows what will come of this idea. It would be so fun if this dream came true.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I also echo cali and Amanda's comments. The writers here are amazing, and I feel so humbled all the time to be a part of the group.

I never aspired to be a writer, especially since I didn't like writing. Writing the recaps is a lot of fun though, but it's quite hard to be funny on command. I find I'm a lot funnier in person than in my writing. Well a lot funnier looking maybe. . .
    Who shot who in the what now?

See? I knew this place was teaming with talented peeps. Who called it, eh? That’s right........the Shazz. *slaps dollar bill on the table*

Side note: Thanks for sharing all your stories, I love reading them! Love it! Loveitloveitloveit! Also, Shayla, thank you for the kind words. And Paulie, your description long? You’re asking a group of writers if something was too long? Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids! And everyone, thanks for sharing! See..I knew you were all secretly little Blumes and Vonneguts and Tolstoys and Asimovs and/or Barrys and Bombecks and the like.

Wayner, sometimes I wonder if you’re right, if all of you people are in fact, John. I think I’ve asked Amanda before if she was really one person, or actually a highly sophisticated “team” of people here to weaken us and exert control and domination via her chicanery (I actually have that same question for all of you). Actually, I’d believe all of you people were “one” person, if you weren’t individually so distinct and witty in your own way. The FORT people seem to be here strictly to lure us away from our work via their sheer pound for pound entertainment value package.

I would be utterly shocked if some of the FORTers here weren’t published someday. I’m certain of it happening in some capacity (and maybe for some of you, it already has?? Hey…..that’s another idea…tell us your publishing stories).

I write too, “on the side”. I love writing and reading about writing (and reading about and talking to writers). (I also love talking to people who had no idea they’d probably be excellent writers.) I have a problem with extreme laziness, though. See, I’m easily distracted by shiny objects, bright lights, and the like. When I write, speak, talk, post, engage in conversation, I have two sides of me, the lazy, “me talk pretty one day” side of me, which typically wins out, and the other side of me, who has short bursts of ambition, with a large lack of follow through. I think Amanda had a quote a long time ago, something vaguely about there being a short distance between acts of genius and acts of great stupidity, and why not take the leap. I love that, and I agree with it. I’m always doing the latter.

And like Miss F, I actually went into journalism before I decided that I absolutely detested it. Not creative enough for my tastes.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it. (And please continue to share…)
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread