+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

We did meet up about it last weekend. For the most part, he'd draw and I'd write. We got through two paragraphs.

I'm wondering if there's a thread on here of some sort where posters can share their work?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

What we've thought of was some sort of your typical action story. Hero takes on foreign villains, supposedly those who want to either destroy or take over the world. In this case, most of the villains are Russian, and the heroes are American. Brothers/military vets who for some reason are the ones relied on to save the world.

Then there was a story idea which I alone thought of. No action, but more romantic drama. Lesbian romance. Again, could be a bit typical: High school seniors - new shy girl joins high school and has trouble making friends. Then she meets one of the more popular girls. They become friends, for a while her only friend, and eventually fall in love. Then of course come problems. Popular girl's friends don't know of this relationship, eventually find out, aren't ok with it, and some friendships end, etc. I could either make the ending a very sad one, or a happy one. I won't go into specifics just yet.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have so many writing projects in mind but never seem to get to them. *sigh*

I don't know how published authors do it, producing a new novel every few years or even in a few months. I'll be lucky if I ever finish one!
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

I used to fancy myself a writer when I was younger. My first love was journalism, but I changed my mind and went a different direction.

There was so much mandatory writing in college and law school, that I found little time for personal, creative writing. I continued to write poetry over the years though. One day, I intend to revisit the idea. If I can find the time, I would like to take some classes just to get my creativity jump started.

If you are looking for basic writing instruction and then peer review once you get started, you might try Writers' Village University - Writing Courses for both courses and support groups, as well as a friendly community. They do charge an annual fee, though their entry course called F2K is free.

There... I've put in my pitch for one of my favorite online writing sites. I'm a life-time member, though health challenges have stifled my creativity and I haven't put forth the effort needed to put together a story.

Another favorite writing spot online has a challenge every November where one writes a full novel in 30 days. It is intense, but hysterical with local to your area meet-ups to write (if you wish, but not required) along with very friendly and encouraging people. This is their website, National Novel Writing Month.

Whatever you do, have fun with it!
    Debb70 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I was a print journalist for nearly 30 years and found that writing was the hardest part of the job. Not the formulaic news stories, but the magazine-style narratives. You have to have a novelist's talent for structure, pace and character, but you can only work with the facts you're given. It's like a literary version of "Chopped." I envy people who write for pleasure.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Hmmmmm . . .

I've toyed with the idea of being a writer, once or twice.

Guess I never thought about what direction I'd go in, so I never really seriously investigated it.

At some point, maybe I could see myself dipping my toe in that well.

Maybe.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

And to think of all the time and energy I've spent over the years correcting non-errors.

7 bogus grammar 'errors' you dont need to worry about
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    And to think of all the time and energy I've spent over the years correcting non-errors.

7 bogus grammar 'errors' you dont need to worry about
    A lot of this depends on the house (for whom you're editing/proofreading) style sheet.
    It may not be all for naught.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Nearly a decade after this post, FoRTer spegs is interviewed in "10 Questions" in the current issue of TIME magazine.
    10 Questions with Stephenie Meyer - Video - TIME.com

Quote Originally Posted by spegs View Post
    Fun thread, Shazz. The FORT is so talented. There must be some genetic link between creativity, English degrees, and the love of reality television.

I majored in English, so of course I'm an aspiring writer. I have pretty small audience, though. I write novels for my sister, because I'm too much of a coward to go public. She's a stay at home mom, too, so she actually enjoys it when I drop a 500+ monster on her doorstep. I'm working on her christmas present right now--not even halfway through and I'm already on page 300 , poor my sister. (That's why I haven't been to the FORT as much this summer).

I did look into the whole idea of trying to get published, but I was quickly frightened off by the bewildering world of agents and queries and rejection slips. Maybe some other time when I'm feeling braver.

I have to write, though, to stay sane. Most of my live conversations revolve around "potty" and "binkie".
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread