+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Quote Originally Posted by HowRYa? View Post
    The author of Twilight used to post on FORT?
    Yup! You can find her old posts under spegs.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I was once told I should be a writer. And I seemed to get good marks and sometimes not know why.

I used to write stories as well. Never really finished any outside of school though.

FORT Fogey

I just found this thread today. Wow, just wow! This is so cool.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, people, enough resting on our laurels... so we have one best selling author to our credit, let's try for another! All you writers out there, try submitting your work! You never know what might happen....

It might be a little humiliating to get a novel published and then admit I've been posting on FORT as "Cornholio." I'm afraid my lips would be sealed.
    Debb70 likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    OK, people, enough resting on our laurels... so we have one best selling author to our credit, let's try for another! All you writers out there, try submitting your work! You never know what might happen....
    I want to get my poetry published someday but I'm still not sure where to start. I'm better at the creative end of projects, not the business end. I know I need to submit poems to magazines to try to get them published and then I can see about compiling them and have them published as a book. I don't know which magazines might publish my poems, though. I don't read poetry magazines so I don't know which would be a good match for my work. For that matter, even if I do manage to get a book made, who buys poetry by modern writers?? I wouldn't think there would be much of a market for it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I admit I don't read poetry, but if I were you I guess I'd buy a few modern poetry magazines, looking for ones that publish the kind of thing I write (e.g., cowboy poetry, free verse, etc.). They usually have something in the fine print (or on their website) about how to go about submitting to them. I know it would be hard, sending your babies out to be attacked by critics and reviewers, but the worst they can say is no, and give you painful reasons why. If that fails you could always start a website (blog?) and post them there (anonymously or with a pen name if you want---choosing more carefully than cornholio did!...good point, cornholio! ), and see if you attract readers. I agree it's probably hard to make a living at poetry for most....many poets are also English teachers for example....but if your main goal is to reach people and have your poems read there are ways. Poetry slams, where people read it aloud, are also found even in some reasonably small cities/towns.
    Not that I know anything about publishing poetry. I did just now google "how to publish poetry" and got a website called Poets.org from the American Academy of Poets that had a FAQ list on just that topic, plus several other sites. They said similar things to what I suggested, but with a lot more specific detail--I'd check them out! Good luck.
    The thing to remember is, just as with the lottery, you have to be in it to win it! While I'm not crazy about encouraging people to gamble it's certainly good advice for getting published---the one thing that's sure is that if you don't try you'll never be published (except maybe posthumously by your great granddaughter who discovers all these great poems in a musty old trunk 100 years from now!). Just do it! Go for it! And all similar slogans!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Lately a friend and I have been considering teaming up and writing a story of some sort. I'm sure I can form interesting plot ideas. Some of which might work, and others which should probably stay in my head. I'm sure if I wanted to I could think of something for any genre. Romance, action, disgusting horrific horror, kids, sci fi, whatever.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Stop considering, JK! Set up a meeting time with your friend just to discuss this....you may each have one beer and one of you has to take notes! We all know you can write. Yes, there's a lot of rejection out there, but if you are doing it with a friend you can have fun mocking the rejection letters....but you won't even get to THAT stage until you write the story.
    That said, writing with someone else can be a test of the relationship. My mom and I loved a certain kind of book and decided to write one together... we got maybe three chapters in when we realized our images of our characters were so different it wasn't going to work (although now that she's gone of course I really wish we'd stuck with it, just to have it)--this was before email and we lived far apart, so lots of letters. But having a writing partner kept us going once we started--it can be a big help in that initial resistance--each of you holding the other responsible. I've written some work based stuff, even a book, that way... it does keep it going.

Johnny K, if you haven't already done so, you may wish to do a search on "spegs" for her posts, especially those within this particular topic.
    She is now quite well-known as Stephenie Meyer, author of the Twilight series and currently, The Host -- book and movie.
    Who knows -- with a story that people like, along with a bit of luck/connections in the film industry -- you could be next.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread