+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Re: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

One of my adult ESL "tutees" is a big Twilight fan, too. (I didn't say anything about FoRT, though -- cuz I think I wasn't around here then.) I haven't read any of the books nor seen any of the movies, but this semester, per my student's request, we'll be using Twilight as our conversation springboard.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4046868;
    A young girl that I work with is a major Twilight series fan. I told her that Stephanie Meyer used to hang out at a site that I frequent and I don't think she really believed me. I guess I'll have to do what Gut did and print out a couple of her posts. She'll be so jealous!! (I won't bother telling her that during that time I was a very new member and still mostly lurking )
    You don't even need to print anything out. She thanks the FoRT writers and staff in the first book
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll tell you what, though - when you take all the posts spegs wrote in this thread and copy and paste them to a word document, it makes very exciting reading for young Twilight fans. You hear in her own voice, the process to publishing and the first, unused titles, and her excitement at having them published, and then the movie pick-up. Copy, paste, copy, paste - not that hard to do.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4046950;
    You don't even need to print anything out. She thanks the FoRT writers and staff in the first book
    I saw her post where she said she would try to acknowledge FORT even jokingly before her husband since he had not read her book at the time.

I see where she even went to Fortcon. How fun for the fellow forties to have met her before all of her fame.
    "I was raised to be charming, not sincere." ~Cinderella's Prince Charming ~ Into the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4047073;
    I'll tell you what, though - when you take all the posts spegs wrote in this thread and copy and paste them to a word document, it makes very exciting reading for young Twilight fans. You hear in her own voice, the process to publishing and the first, unused titles, and her excitement at having them published, and then the movie pick-up. Copy, paste, copy, paste - not that hard to do.
    Its also fun to read about how she got her first book published on her website and compare that to her "live time posts here."
    "I was raised to be charming, not sincere." ~Cinderella's Prince Charming ~ Into the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4047073;
    The discussion of possible titles was fun!!! Who knew?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by HowRYa?;4047254;
    I see where she even went to Fortcon. How fun for the fellow forties to have met her before all of her fame.
    It was a good time in Chicago. It makes me smile every time I see her books in the stores and all the hoopla over the movies.

Just a question about the writers market subscription can you still apply if you live in the UK. Many thanks

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've always wanted to write a novel but lack the ambition to follow up on it. I have loads of notes at my house and a few outlines of potential stories. I was going to write a story about a drug that enables people to live forever. I made out a whole page of questions to answer (how is a drug developed? what government agencies would be involved in overseeing the use of such a drug? what obstacles would need to be overcome to allow someone to live forever, such as old age and disease control, etc), went to the library to do research, and instead of finding answers to my questions, each question spawned many more questions!! I haven't done more research since then.

The only writing I can manage is short stories and poetry. I've done some serial stories on forums but so far I haven't completed any of my stories (woops!). I could be a great author is only I could get myself to finish my projects.

I want to get my poetry published (so it would appear in a bookstore, not just have vanity copies made to sell myself) but the process of getting published is daunting to me. I like the creative end, not the business end of authoring. If I don't get my poems published in my lifetime, perhaps a friend or relative can get them published for me.

Congratulations Spegs! I could not read the link, but it all sounds excellent!!!

I do not write..... You can tell
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread