+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Spegalicious!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Thanks again. You guys are great. I'm definitely going to work in a mention of the Fort and my buddies here on the acknowlegdments page somewhere. Let it now be said, that (unless I reign in my ire, and I probably will *sigh*) you all will be mentioned above my husband, who has yet to read my book, and gave me crap all summer about "playing" on the computer too much (and I was very careful not to let him catch me sneaking on to the FORT when I needed a breather, too). He's singing a different tune now...men.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    Thanks again. You guys are great. I'm definitely going to work in a mention of the Fort and my buddies here on the acknowlegdments page somewhere. Let it now be said, that (unless I reign in my ire, and I probably will *sigh*) you all will be mentioned above my husband, who has yet to read my book, and gave me crap all summer about "playing" on the computer too much (and I was very careful not to let him catch me sneaking on to the FORT when I needed a breather, too). He's singing a different tune now...men.
    You are too cool. Now the problem I'll be having is having to WAIT to read it! I want to read it NOW! 2005? *sniff, sniff* Wahhhhh!! The description already has me intrigued. And I love YA fiction, so I can't wait!

Again --------------->

Pffffft about "playing" on the computer. Glad he's seen the light!

Lucy!

ETA: Heyyyyyy...I think I predicted somewhere in the beginning of this thread that many of the FORT people would eventually be published! Woo hoo! Glad to see it so soon!
    Last edited by Shazzer; 11-26-2003 at 12:57 PM.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Congratulations Spegs! It's quite the accomplishment, writing is one thing, but getting published as well.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

JR.
    You won't forget us when you're rich and famous, will you?

Sorry, but I just want to add another thing about Speg's book. Little, Brown & Co is (if I remember correctly...) one of the largest publishers of YA fiction in North America. This is no small-time press, folks. The distribution (not to mention the advance ) for Speg's book is quite likely larger than what your normal first-time YA author would get.

Of course, I'm not at all familiar with the world of publishing -being an unpublished student and all that. So, I apologize in advance if my ruminations are wrong or inappropriate, Spegs. I just wanted to emphasize on what I consider to be the enormity of your accomplishment.

Might we plebeians actually be hob-nobbing with the future Rowlings, Lemony Snicket, or Ellen Conford?

FORT Fogey
    I have learned to really enjoy writing... I always thought I was awful, and then I took a course related to my Bachelor of Education on teaching Literacy to elementary school kids, and as part of it, we had to write some original stuff. I absolutely loved it, and once I got started, I wanted the story to keep going on forever and ever.

I got a really good mark on one, and one which my prof said should be published... I don't really think so... tell me what you think of it:

There's something daunting
    About a white piece of paper

What do I write?
    Will it be a story
    With once upon a time
    Someone lived
    Happily ever after?
    Or do they?

Will it be an essay
    Filled with loooooong meaningless words
    Like pedagogy?

Will it be a poem?
    Something that has
    a deep hidden meaning
    using short lines
    for reasons
    un-
    kno-
    wn?

Or will the poem
    have no meaning at all
    just to torture
    English majors
    trying to read somthing into it?

Now the white piece of paper
    is not so dauntint
    I have conquered it
    with the pen.
    [/Poem]

Nice poem DF,

I'm not that good of a writer. But at least I'm aware of that I did have to take a writing course in college which helped me tremendously, but I'm more of a short and to the point kind of writer.

However, I've been kicking a story (possibly a movie) idea around in my head for several years and I wish I knew where to start and how form my ideas. So, if any of your FORT writers out there want to transcribe for me, I promise I'll only take 5% of the royalties.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

A little update for my supportive FORT pals (Naus, Shaz, Manny, you know who you are):
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040311/nyth120_1.html
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Holy cow, spegs, is that link about your book?

All I can say is...wow! Congratulations!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread