+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Just out of curiosity, Spegs, how did you find your literary agent. I'm aware of a few different organizations and publications that can point you to one, but I'm curious how you found yours. Did you do a lot of homework as to what type of books they had represented in the past? If I ever do finish enough short stories for a book, I'd be interested to know the best way to find one.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Hey..."Twilight" wasn't even a choice.... That's really exciting news, Spegs!

Mantenna--I know, it's like cheating!

SG--When I started looking into the idea of publishing, my husband bought me an online subscription to Writer's Market--which is not at all expensive ($2.99 for a month or something like that) and I highly recommend it to anyone who even just wants to know how the publishing world works.

After checking out a bunch of publishers, I began to realize that not very many publishers, and none that I've ever heard of, accept submissions from someone without an agent. So I went agent shopping, and found several nice, helpful agents who maintain websites with good advice on how to query, how to format your manuscript, etc.

But I actually found my agent through the Janet Evanovich website. My sister is a huge fan and she mentioned something about the site and told me to check it out. While I was there I noticed JE's Q&A section for begining writers. She mentioned a few reputable agencies and I decided to try one of them that dealt with all different kinds of fiction.

On Writer's Market you can search for agents and publishers by the genre you're writing in. They also tell you if they accept unpublished writers and how to submit. Tons of information on the process, too. Two thumbs up for Writer's Market.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Thanks spegs!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Just an update for those of you who have been so extremely nice:

It makes it seem more real to tell people, and I spent all day on the phone yesterday telling family, so today I will tell my on-line family

My book is going to be published by Little, Brown, which is the YA division of Time Warner. It probably won't come out until spring of 2005, so, not for a while, but that is fine by me because it gives me lots of time to perfect the editing, and work on the sequels. I am a little bit high still today, and none of it has really sunk in, but I'm in the mood to shout my joy from the rooftops.

So thank you so much to those of you who were so kindly encouraging and helpful with the title mess. FORTies rock.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

That is such great news, Spegs. Way to go!

Awesome, Spegs! I'm so jealous.
    But I am slightly confused; last week were you just then shopping for a publisher? And now you've already got one? If my understanding of that timeline is correct, WOW.
    So great for you.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Congrats, Spegs!!!
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Congratulations

Lucy: November tenth the agent called to tell me they wanted my book. Last thursday, she sent the manuscript off to nine publishers. Yesterday, two weeks from the day I found out I had an agent, Little, Brown made a preemtive offer so that we wouldn't talk to any other publishers.

It has gone amazingly fast. That's part of the problem in trying to realize everything--to much to compute.

+ Reply to Thread