+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Jeez, I'd better get moving!
    Oh, right, I lack a plot. Lots of threads but nothing to tie it all together.

That's my problem too I write scenes as they occur to me, but I can't think of a plot to make sense of it all. Right now, its basically a collection of stories and incidents that were inspired by things that happened to me or people I know. I have to think of a way to direct the flow into a storyline.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    **MOUTH TO MOUTH THREAD RESUSCITATION**

My beautiful, intelligent, generous FORTies, I need your help (did I butter you up enough?).

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the book I wrote this summer...well things have progressed and now I have a literary agent who wants a new title before she sents it out to editors (tomorrow--no pressure!).

So, not knowing what the story is about, what is your gut reaction to the following titles? Which one would you be most likely to pick up?

INTO THAT DARKNESS

ALL THAT'S BEST OF DARK AND BRIGHT (or simply DARK AND BRIGHT)

ONLY HUMAN

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN

NIGHT AND DAY

Thank you in advance for your help. I kiss your feet! Smooch, smooch, smooch!

I figured I would give speg's post a bump over to this page so that others would see it and help her out.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

SG & Lucy, Would either of you be able to put together a collection of short stories with what you have, as opposed to connecting them all together to make a novel?
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    SG & Lucy, Would either of you be able to put together a collection of short stories with what you have, as opposed to connecting them all together to make a novel?

I've thought about that. It would probably be the best solution to my ADD writing style

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    That's my problem too I write scenes as they occur to me, but I can't think of a plot to make sense of it all. Right now, its basically a collection of stories and incidents that were inspired by things that happened to me or people I know. I have to think of a way to direct the flow into a storyline.
    yeah, my family now feeds me things to put in "my book". Like, how my cousin's girlfriend's boob job came with a warranty.... in fact, usually it's about things that happen to other people. They think they're slyly keeping themselves out of it.
    And I have trouble creating characters that are fictional...because I know so many people who are wonderful idiosyncratic characters unto themselves. I can't imagine writing about something that happened to one of them and trying to pretend it happened to someone with a totally different character. I think writing news every day is hurting my ability to be imaginative.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I think idiosyncratic characters abound in southern Appalachia. My brother used to say that the difference between Appalachians and the rest of the world can be seen in how they deal with their crazy relatives. The rest of the world hides them away in an institution and Appalachians bring them out for company to see Proud of our little 'quirks' in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Well, maybe it's just me, but I like "ALL THAT'S BEST OF DARK AND BRIGHT". I think it is sort of unusual and likely to be more memorable. But what do I know?

In any case, congratulations!

That's my favorite too--it's from Byron. And Nothing Like the Sun IS from that Shakespeare sonnet. I'm a sucker for poetry.

Thanks for all the feedback and congratulations. You guys are great. I'm glad my agent isn't the only one who likes Into That Darkness--I'll just have to put my Kafka predjudices aside.

For SG--yes, it has a mystery and a lot of adventure (the heroine is a klutzy girl with bad luck who generally ends up in trouble where ever she goes) but for me the point was the love story, so I wanted the title to reflect that somehow. I can't believe how difficult it is to find a title that fits. Ugh. (The original title was FORKS, the name of the little town where it's set, but that didn't work either.)

Anyhow, thanks you lovely FORTies. You rock.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    (the heroine is a klutzy girl with bad luck who generally ends up in trouble where ever she goes) .

Why spegs, you didn't tell me that this was a book about *my* youth!

Maybe "Forks of..." something?
    Tell us when you choose one. And keep us updated on how it goes with getting an editor.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Nothing really to add, but I had to spegs!

You have to be so excited!

I do like the first the best, I think; it seems to stand out the most to me. Of course, I'm also a big Kafka fan, so . . .
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

+ Reply to Thread