+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

BTW, congratulations spegs
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Well, maybe it's just me, but I like "ALL THAT'S BEST OF DARK AND BRIGHT". I think it is sort of unusual and likely to be more memorable. But what do I know?

In any case, congratulations!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    **MOUTH TO MOUTH THREAD RESUSCITATION**

My beautiful, intelligent, generous FORTies, I need your help (did I butter you up enough?).

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the book I wrote this summer...well things have progressed and now I have a literary agent who wants a new title before she sents it out to editors (tomorrow--no pressure!).

So, not knowing what the story is about, what is your gut reaction to the following titles? Which one would you be most likely to pick up?

INTO THAT DARKNESS

ALL THAT'S BEST OF DARK AND BRIGHT (or simply DARK AND BRIGHT)

ONLY HUMAN

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN

NIGHT AND DAY

Thank you in advance for your help. I kiss your feet! Smooch, smooch, smooch!

I think it would also help to know the enviroment that the romance takes place in. Is there also a mystery or something going on? From the first title, I would expect intrigue as well as romance.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I would vote for "Nothing Like the Sun" but it does remind me of a Shakespeare sonnet ("my mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun).
    Congrats, Spegs!! Many writers wait years for that kind of break, if it comes at all.
    I just noticed this thread (why HAVE I been wasting my time in the Bachelor forum?!) so I'm going to go ahead and talk about the original premise of it.
    No secret ambition: I AM a writer. Well, a journalist. So I write everyday, although I don't get much chance to be creative about it (I have come to live for features, so I can stretch my prose a bit). I always wanted to write; when I was little I kept a notebook that I wrote stories in. I did a three-parter on a friendship between a fox and a wolf (for some reason I thought they looked alike, only different colors).
    I won a few writing awards in high school and took creative writing in college (the easiest classes ever; all you had to do was write a few stories and critique everyone else's, and you had your A). I applied to a few MFA programs, but didn't get in.
    They say that every journalist has a book in them, which is a very good place for it. And, like everyone else, I think I've got one in me. I hope to write it one day, but after writing for my job every day, the last thing I want to do at home is turn on the computer. Lately I've been trying to push myself to finish some short stories. I generally have to wait for an idea to hit me; I've got all these bits of characters and things in my head, but lack plot. I do keep a running journal of things that are interesting or people who would make good characters.
    Earlier this year a couple of friends and I got together and started sending each other stories (via email) to critique; we gave ourselves deadlines and all that, in the hopes that we'd force ourselves to write more. But one of us missed a deadline in August and it sort of fell apart. Don't suppose anyone would be interested in something like that? I'm hoping to get some stories together to send to literary magazines. There are a few that specialize in southern or Appalachian literature, which is kind of what I tend to write.
    Anyway, sorry, long post. Cheers for Spegs!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy, sounds like we have something in common. I've also always wanted to write a book set in Appalachia. There is such a rich and varied culture here of which most people are unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Lucy, sounds like we have something in common. I've also always wanted to write a book set in Appalachia. There is such a rich and varied culture here of which most people are unaware.
    I know! I have always wanted to write a book set in Appalachia that would somehow reach a wider audience and work towards changing the stereotypes people outside Appalachia have of the area. Lee Smith is my idol, but I think there's a real gap in Appalachian literature; many Appalchian writers seem to have grown up before the 1970's, and that's often when their stories are set. I think it's time we had a book about what it's like to be young in Appalachia now (or in 1980's-90's).
    Berea College has a quarterly literary magazine; they include some fiction, and when I come up with something with the right tone I'm going to submit it...

FORT Fogey
    Into that Darkness gets my vote. I would pick up that title and see what it was about.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Woo-Hoo Spegs. You go girl...

I like "Into That Darkness"
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I know! I have always wanted to write a book set in Appalachia that would somehow reach a wider audience and work towards changing the stereotypes people outside Appalachia have of the area. Lee Smith is my idol, but I think there's a real gap in Appalachian literature; many Appalchian writers seem to have grown up before the 1970's, and that's often when their stories are set. I think it's time we had a book about what it's like to be young in Appalachia now (or in 1980's-90's).
    Berea College has a quarterly literary magazine; they include some fiction, and when I come up with something with the right tone I'm going to submit it...

Mine would have been growing up in Appalachia through the 80's. I have pieces of it written, but I'm afraid it might never come together in any cohesive fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Mine would have been growing up in Appalachia through the 80's. I have pieces of it written, but I'm afraid it might never come together in any cohesive fashion.
    Jeez, I'd better get moving!
    Oh, right, I lack a plot. Lots of threads but nothing to tie it all together.

+ Reply to Thread