cheeky, but it might actually work....
    All's fair in love and hangovers

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    I can't even respond to that :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I can't even respond to that :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Most likely, their vision never included your marrying one of their peers age-wise. Give them time to adjust, to mourn and cope with the loss of those dreams and come to terms with a new vision for what will make you happy.
    I think that was the most difficult thing for my Dad, was accepting that a peer had married his little (or not so little) girl. He was used to talking to the guys my sister and I had dated from the standpoint of being older, more mature, etc. It took him awhile, I feel (never talked to him about it) to accept that my hubby is nearly his age and maturity. He's gotten through it and frequently asks for his advice on stuff! Of course my sister got out of that one by marrying a man 8 years younger than herself, but that'd be a whole different thread .
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    hmmm twice your age, gee if it doesn't work out, I'll dump the wife and be in the on deck circle.......

just teasing DVM, but I really don't/can't think of anything to say to help except to just ride it out and they will probly learn to like and accept him as they get to know him.

GOOD LUCK LADY!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, DVM, I'm sorry you have to go through something like this. Fortunately, it appears you've already gotten a ton of excellent advice from the many wise and caring people who inhabit the FoRT.

I just want to wish you the very best, and also share the fact that my husband is 10 years older than I. I actually met him my first year in college, so I was only 18 at the time. Even then, however, I recognized that I was still pretty young--and at 23, I think you also are at a very early stage in your life.

I wanted to make sure that my husband was the right person for me, and so it wasn't until we were together for 7 years that we finally got married (I was 25). We've been happily wedded, and are celebrating our 3rd anniversary...next week in fact! Incidentally, he gets on excellently w/ my family--often better than I do, in fact--and I don't think I would have married him if this wasn't the case.

I don't think there is any harm in waiting--I think time will allow you to make sure that you & your b/f's lives are truly compatible, and will also help your parents to accept him. Give them time to learn all the great things you love about him, and to see him for the wonderful person he is to you.

I agree w/ Miss F, these things do have a way of working themselves out.

GOOD LUCK!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    DVM, hang in there give your parents some time to adjust. You have recieved some great advice from everyone here.
    Just remember you are young, so dont rush into getting married.
    Here's a little story to cheer you up..
    My girlfriend Sheila started dating this guy way older than her (she was 25 and he was 51) anyhow we all laughed at her thinking he wanted one thing. Her parents were NOT happy.
    Well now she is 29 and he is 55 and I'm going to their wedding next year in Ireland. Her parents have accepted him and realize he makes her happy.

So the moral of the story is it can work...! Good Luck!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    *Why isn't he married? (A player or commitment issues). *If he was married, is he paying alimony through the nose (financial-will he be able to provide well for you?) *Why was he divorce? (Will it happen with you too?) *Does he have children? (If he had to choose, where would his preference and loyalty be?) *Why did he "pick" such a younger girlfriend and is that his "trend". (Sorry, they might ask if he is a d.o.m.) *In twenty years, will he be young or healthy enough to be a dad? (Will he be an active and good dad to any kids you might have or will you be taking care of him?) *Will your age difference work against you as time goes on? (Are there enough similarities to keep you together?)
    Unmarried men over 40 are NOT all "players" or have "commitment issues". If anything we are more ready to commit than younger men. We are also not necessarily "eccentric" or "gay". There are decent straight men over 40 who are single.

My own postponement is because I like to complete one goal at a time. My 3 goals in life are (1) obtain a university degree, (2) establish a secured career, then (3) find a mate and start family. I have accomplished my 1st two goals, now I am trying to accomplish my 3rd goal. If DVM's boyfriend has a Phd, then he must have spent an unusually long time on (1).

Although age is a significant issue, it should not be an overriding issue, which are for example if the boyfriend is a criminal, a wifebeater, a bum, a druggie, or an alcoholic. A younger man with those characteristics poses much more problems than age differences.

So long as the couple both understand the additional complications the greater age difference poses, I see no reason why they cannot overcome the additional hurdle and still have a happy marriage.
    Last edited by Bill747; 09-29-2003 at 03:12 PM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Unmarried men over 40 are NOT all "players" or have "commitment issues". If anything we are more ready to commit than younger men. We are also not necessarily "eccentric" or "gay". There are decent straight men over 40 who are single.

My own postponement is because I like to complete one goal at a time. My 3 goals in life are (1) obtain a university degree, (2) establish a secured career, then (3) find a mate and start family. I have accomplished my 1st two goals, now I am trying to accomplish my 3rd goal. If DVM's boyfriend has a Phd, then he must have spent an unusually long time on (1).

Although age is a significant issue, it should not be an overriding issue, which are for example if the boyfriend is a criminal, a wifebeater, a bum, a druggie, or an alcoholic. A younger man with those characteristics poses much more problems than age differences.

So long as the couple both understand the additional complications the greater age difference poses, I see no reason why they cannot overcome the additional hurdle and still have a happy marriage.
    Very interesting mini-bio Maybe your situation could be uses as an example.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    I love you all

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast