+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I Need Advice on My Love Life

Hug me!
    Hey dvm, How are you doing ?
    I don't really have an advice for you. Just want to wish you the best.. I hope things work out well for you.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

I once dated a man who was 11 years my senior. It was one of the most rewarding relationships of my life. We eventually had to break up for reasons too complicated to list here, but I had a lovely time with him. Older men seem to know what is important in life moreso than younger men.

Anyway, my advice would be: DONT profess your undying love for the man to you parents. Even if you think that you are meant to be together, forever, dont say that to your parents. It will just come off as sounding childish and immature. Instead, tell them that it is becoming more serious and you wanted to let them know. Tell them that you are going to take it slow and see how things go. Most likely they will think its a phase and wait for it to pass. In the meantime, you will slowly be getting them used to being around him. Hopefully, after they see what kind of relationship you have, they wont care how old he is.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Ok ok ok...I need to read S-L-O-W-E-R! I initially thought the title of the thread was "I Need A Love Life" and I was all set to post...

YOU AND ME BOTH...Muahahahahahahahahaha!
    hey now GG.. didn't we talk abt this???
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    hey now GG.. didn't we talk abt this???
    Eh, I was funnen!

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Eh, I was funnen!
    so was i....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

DVM

What wonderful advice you are getting here! I began reading the thread and was thinking of all these things I wanted to say, but Feifer summed all those thoughts so eloquently before I got here. (Feif, girl, we really gotta get together someday. We may be leading parallel lives.)

As parents, we belive we can look at a situation in our children's life and, based on our own experiences, see clearly whether the path will be rocky or clear. By instinct we want to use our experience to keep our children on the better path, or at least to help you clear the obstacles out of the way.

The only thing I might add is to feel free to give yourself and your parents some time with this. And your parents obviously love, love, love you and want the best for you. Remember that they have harbored hopes and dreams for you since you were tiny.

Most likely, their vision never included your marrying one of their peers age-wise. Give them time to adjust, to mourn and cope with the loss of those dreams and come to terms with a new vision for what will make you happy.

Good luck DVM!
    I would also like to give you advice, but I'm afraid all I can say is: whatever you decide, all will be alright in the end!

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    You guys are the best!

I think you should get your parents wasted and meet him, that way whatever they say you can always blame it on the alcohol, and you can also tell them, " remember,last night when you met,you guys really liked him."

Quote Originally Posted by aliasmq
    I think you should get your parents wasted and meet him, that way whatever they say you can always blame it on the alcohol, and you can also tell them, " remember,last night when you met,you guys really liked him."
    cheeky, but it might actually work....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast