+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A good deed...

Hepcat, I really love that story!

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    This one is so touching... It's a true-based story that was shown on TV to show the courage, the strength, faced by health care workers in Singapore in the fight against SARS.

A nurse who refused to quit despite her family members persuading her to do so... She continued her job as a nurse to serve to the patients... And she contacted SARS.

It was her final time that she saw her daughter. She was lying down on the bed... With tears rolling down the eyes. She laid down in bed, looking at them, her mother with her two children. They were holding something... A banner.... "Hold on Mommy... We need you."

She knew she couldn't be around for long. She knew she had no chance in getting near her children or her mother in case she accidentally pass the disease to her... All she could do is watch them, look at them... Before she slowly closes her eyes...

Her mom and children were interviewed. Her mom was crying while she speaks in Malay... "All I could say is... Goodbye..."

Her children, both still at ages below 5, says "I know I have a brave mother."

The good deeds she did for her job... To win against the SARS disease.. She accidentally caught it too... And the sacrifices she made...

I was climbing a tall ladder, about 20 feet up high, and I tripped and almost fell backwards, but at the last second, I grabbed the edge of the ladder and I saved myself from what surely would have been a disastrous accident on the hard concrete ground.

I did a good deed and saved my own life!!! I owe my life to myself!!! If it wasn't for me, I'd be dead.

My husband and I stumbled into doing a good deed the other day. It really made me think about the conditions that the elderly face, however.

We had gotten a new living room suit and had load up the old car in my father-in-laws truck to take it to Goodwill. We stopped on the way at the local Dairy Queen to eat and there was an old man in a wheelchair at the entrance, waiting on his ride to arrive. As we approached the entrance, the old man said that we had a,"mighty fine lookin couch there" and asked us how much we wanted for it. I told him we were going to give it to Goodwill but if he wanted it, he could have it. He gave us his address and we told him we would drop it off after we ate. While we were eating, we both mentioned that we hoped we hadn't signed up for a bunch of trouble by trying to be nice (i.e. ten flights of stairs or rearranging his living room for him).

Anyway, after we ate, we drove to his apartment (which was an income-based place) to drop it off. He lived on the first floor and when we walked in, I was stunned. The little old fellow had NO furniture. He had a bottom half of a bunk bed to sleep on, a plastic LAWN chair to sit in when he wasn't in the wheelchair, and one of those old console tvs.
    He had tears in his eyes and kept saying what a beautiful couch it was (which it really wasn't at all. It had been super cheap, we'd bought it in college for cripes sake.) and thanked us and thanked us. I had to get out of there quickly before I started to cry.

Because of the incident, we've decided that the next time we are getting rid of old furniture, we will contact local churches and see if they know anyone who could use it. It was a very fulfilling, yet sad experience. I kept thinking of the elderly people in my life and if this is how they would end up if they didn't have family to help them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

stargazer401, loved the story, but I didn't like getting teary eyed.

That's a good idea about donating furniture to church. I always plan to sell and make money, nothing wrong with that, but end up donating to a church or outreach center.

to you and your hubby!

Wow stargazer, you really made a difference in that person's life. Someone put you in the right place at the right time! And it's wonderful that you acted on it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    I wouldn't say this really counts as a good deed but oh well

Some metally hadicapped girl at my school fell down the steps head first at lunch right in front of us. At first, it looked like she was laughing and we expected her to get up. But then she started twitching even more and I realized she was having a seizure. I ran to find the vice principal and he came and moved her away from the steps so she wouldn't hit her head. My friends went to the office and got the other vice principal and the two adults stayed with her until she stopped shaking. Someone got her a wheelchair and I don'
    t know what happened after that.

Stargazer, you rock.

I wish it had been a good deed that I had intended to do. We were just put in the right place at the right time.

Pinkie...not everyone would have stuck around to make sure the girl was going to be okay. That's a pretty good deed.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fogey
    Just came back from Disney World tonight and as we left the airport I gave three park hopper passes that still had a day each on them to a family just arriving! They were really excited and it was fun thinking how we saved them a bunch of money and maybe they would get to do more or something on their vacation!

I did something similar a few years ago firegirl, the looks on the family's face was classic when I handed them free tickets to Sea World. My company had given us free tickets to the park for up to 4 people, so heck yeah I went ahead and took 4 passes figuring I could find some friends to go with me, but everyone bailed out so on the tram over to the park I found a nice family of 3 and gave them my freebies and told them to enjoy their day on me. They didn't quite get it at first, but after I explained they happily took the passes. Hopefully they enjoyed thier time and maybe could get some good souveniers and a nice dinner with the money they saved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast