+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A good deed...

in banana world
    I do little things, I guess, that ultimately make me feel a little better. I do wish I was more active doing good deeds.
    If a cashier gives me back extra change accidentally, I give it back.
    I will stop my car for animals to cross the street. (only if safe, of course)

I can remember this one time, though, that I went to a nice restaurant, but I ended up not liking the food I ordered. So I asked them to put it in a bag for me to take home. However, going home, I realized nobody was gonna eat it, so I stopped to give it to a poor man in the street.

This is a lovely thread. Someone early in the thread mentioned letting pregnant women have their seats on the subway. I just wanted to mention that when I was pregnant, there were two WONDERFUL things that very kind people did for me.
    One wonderful thing someone can do for you is to let you in front of them at the supermarket. As with many pregnant women, it was very difficult for me to stand in one place for more than a minute or two during my last month of pregnancy.
    The MOST wonderful thing you can do for a pregnant woman is to let them ahead of you in the ladies room! Pregnant women have a very hard time "holding it" !!!!!!
    So, I always try to do these two things whenever possible. I remember how grateful I was when people did these things for me and I'll never forget their kindness.

I also wanted to mention something that I feel deserves to be passed along...

My Dad was killed in a car accident about a year and a half ago. It was devastating to the family. Friends and neighbors brought food and drinks (which was very, very nice) but there was one person whose contribution was extremely thoughtful. They brought about 5 boxes of Kleenex (which were used up very fast for obvious reasons), along with paper cups, plates, and plastic utensils. This allowed us to grieve without having to worry about doing dishes from all the visitors. Since then, when others are experiencing hardships, I try to do the same.

So sorry to hear about your loss stargazer.

I never would have thought about the paper products thing. That was very kind and thoughtful of you. Thank you for sharing.

stargazer401, I'm also very sorry about your father.

Yesterday I was at the store when I saw a man with a cane wearing a Vietnam Veteran baseball cap. I walked up to him and shook his hand and thanked him for serving our country. He got all choked up and said thank you.

My Dad was a medic in Vietnam and I know he got a chilly reception when comming home. Both these men were asked to serve their country and did so. I am not saying that any war is good, just that it was brave of them to do their duty.

Thank you to all the veterans.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Thank you Zhora and Eldee. I appreciate it.

Feifer- I think that what you did was wonderful. I am glad (for the most part), even though not everyone agrees with the conflicts in which we are currently involved, they no longer take it out on the soldiers. I'm sure that Vietnam vets would appreciate our thanks, even though it is shamefully belated. One hopes that our country has learned to thank its lucky stars that there are men and women willing to fight for our freedoms.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    .......... I'm sure that Vietnam vets would appreciate our thanks, even though it is shamefully belated. One hopes that our country has learned to thank its lucky stars that there are men and women willing to fight for our freedoms.
    A big

I am giving away a nice desk and chair instead of selling it at the company parking lot sale. (When I told her that the chair was included, she was so happy. Sometimes we don't know how much the little things mean so much to others).

Someone on my mother's club gave me a Pentium II last week. That really made my year! I have some karma to catch up with now.

One time I was out walking and found an older dog in the park who was sweet & very friendly, but walking stiffly. I couldn't find the owner but luckily she had a collar/tag. She was about 8 blocks from home. I put her in my tiny Festiva (she was big, took up the whole back seat) and drove her home. There was no one at the house, but the side gate was open, so I left her in the back yard and made sure she had a full water bowl. I couldn't find a pen so I didn't leave a note - they probably never knew she was out and about.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast