+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stress Management FORT Class

Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    So when I'm in the working world, it's kinda lesser stressed than in school ?

Darn... So it's like more stressed in school than in the working world ?

I found out there's an even better way to not stress over school - Don't care about it.
    I don't know if THAT is the best attitude, but worrying yourself sick isn't going to help anything.

When I was in college and university, I worked part time - around 25 hours a week. I was stressed out trying to deal with good grades, paying tuition and car payments and trying to squeeze in a social life on very little spare time. It was stressful.

However, a career can be just as demanding if not worse. You have more responsibilities, more things to get stressed out over. Especially if you are in a dead end job. And don't even get me started on workplace politics. Can be just as bad as in high school.

I think, as other people have mentionned, the secret is enjoying your life as much as possible. My sister's FIL has a great expression. "If you worried about it, and it still happens... what good did worrying do?"

Control what you can and what you can't... let it go.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    My life isn't very stressful at this point. It has been in the past, and I've either learned to deal with it or it simply passed on it's own. I'll just toss out a couple of things that occurred to me while reading this.

If I'm feeling a little stressed about something now, I zip on over to the Games & Quizzes and just play the mindless games for like an hour. It's like a time-out, uses very little energy, but not so bad as completely losing any ambition you ever had - like when you decided to lie on the sofa and veg to the tv.

Maybe you have a good friend or two that you could call? Just someone who understands that you just need to complain to - and will listen without trying to solve your every problem.

I am a terrible procrastinator. It wasn't a problem in high school. They don't care, just as long as you show up. But college is different. You (or your parents) are paying for it, and supposedly you are there to learn. I finally figured out what worked for me regarding writing papers, etc. First off, pick your topic. Do some research on it, get some facts and ideas. And then put it away for a while. (assuming of course you have some time to finish the project) I stored all of that in my subconscious mind and tossed it around, working on a format, writing style, etc., for a while, so when the last day came along -and of course I hadn't written a word - I'd already have most of it in my head, in some sort of order. Just knowing that I could procrastinate helped me be less stressed. Finally, I'd sit down and write the paper, the ideas were there, in order and the project was done, without seeming so overwhelming.

I don't know if that's any help, but it worked for me. And regarding the power struggle issue we all deal with. I've decided that just letting go of the issue and giving up the power to the other person is so relieving. Since they are not going to give up, there will always be an argument or an issue, what's the point of trying to "win"? Either things will work out or they won't and fighting for the power to say I told you so is such a waste of time. And energy. Of course you get to do your victory dance if you are right - but no one has to know that.

Regarding whether school or work is more difficult and stressful, I hate to break it to you, but school is a cake-walk. You can't opt for pass/fail at your job, you can't withdraw from a task that isn't what you expected. You sort have to suck it up and stick it out. And think back fondly on the easy life you had at school.
    Last edited by J.D.; 09-22-2003 at 03:41 PM.

Ok. Enough of me being the only one that is so stressed... Is there anyone who needs help and needs the FORT-ers to help out ? Everyone will be so willing to offer a hand... And thanks to everyone and your advice !
    That's a great offer. I have a song that keeps playing in my head. I heard it about a week ago, and its tune is so catchy it's stuck in my head. I guess it's just a phase, though. It'll pass once I get bored of it.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    haejin11377, you want us to help you get off your head ? Hahaha....

I used to think that I didn't have any stress in my life. Well, I did, but I just chose to handle it by trying to ignore it, and that doesn't work. What usually ends up happening is some sort of postal-worker-shooting-spree type of incident (either that or a crying jag that leaves you with a migraine). Am I offering way too much information here?

What I do to de-stress:

1. Make this your mantra - I can't control everything.

2. Think of a happy thought (and ask firegirl for some pixie dust!). Seriously. My little sister is pregnant, after trying for 7 years.(my current happy thought, btw) It doesn't have to be something monumental, either. Just think of something that makes you happy. It works!

3. Take time to do something you love. I agree with the previous advice. Read a book. Go for a bike ride. Listen to a GREAT cd. Dance around your house in your underwear (but please, close the blinds!).

4. Meditation. Whether it's prayer/deep breathing/ or just daydreaming, take some quiet time to do NOTHING. Don't think about your worries or whatever else is going on.

Hope some of this works! Being in school, working, dealing with a horrible situation at work or at home, all incredibly stressful. Remember that your mental health is just as important as the physical!

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    . . .Finally one of my friends had enough of it and said "Look, so what if you fail?
    I had a similar experience in graduate school. It was after midnight and I was really frustrated, didn't want to write a paper that was due. A friend of mine said, "I dare you to be mediocre." So I finally sat down at the computer and wrote what ever I felt like writing. Well, I wrote that paper entirely in rhymed couplets (just so as to have fun with a boring assignment) without worrying about how it would be assessed. Fortunately, the professor took to it well and appreciated the creativity. But, regardless of the professor's enjoyment, my friend's advice helped me get the job done.

Now that I'm a bit wiser, I know that failure is failure. We all fail. It happens. But feeling bad for failing is something like an untruth. It's a way to not take responsibility for the failure. You fail. You see that it's so. You take action toward fulfilling your truth.

Last week I received another piece of important advice. A friend said, "You know how to have more time...?"

I asked, "How?"

She said, "Do what you say you will do when you say you will do it."

Working on that one...

Failure isn't anything or everything...

I think what is good is this.. I have tried it and it worked and is excellent !

When you are stressed, take a breath. Take a look around you. Go see the nature. See the sun set or rise. See the beautiful scenry of the sea. Smell the fresh air that you breathe. Think of the people in your life that care about you, the people that love you. You will be better. You will be more stronger than before.

So when I'm in the working world, it's kinda lesser stressed than in school ?

Darn... So it's like more stressed in school than in the working world ?

I found out there's an even better way to not stress over school - Don't care about it.

I wanna enjoy my life while I'm still on this surface on this planet.
    I don't think there is less stress, I just think people learn to handle it better. School is stressful, work is stressful. It's all just how you handle it (or don't handle it) I find I did alot of things in college that just made me more stressed out (like drinking 20 cups of coffee a day and wondering why I couldn't sleep. You know, really silly things like that)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

there's an article on msn about stress

HERE.

Here is a bit of it:

....Here’s how stress works: When we perceive a threat of any kind, the nervous system releases hormones like adrenaline and noradrenaline, which increase your heart and breathing rates, blood pressure and muscle tension. This is known as the fight-or-flight response, and it served our rugged ancestors well as they hunted or battled.

WHEN STRESS GOES TOO FAR
    But if you’re only battling for a seat on the subway, those chemicals linger for no reason and can cause problems. Some stress is good for us and does help us get things done. Its effectiveness lies on a bell curve known as the Yerkes-Dodson Law. As stress increases, so does performance and efficiency, but only up to a point. If the stress continues beyond that point, performance and efficiency drop off.....
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast