+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stress Management FORT Class

I feed off stress like the bee off of nectar.

My advice: don't worry. Indugle in pleasure. Procrastinate at a reasonable pace (and not at the absolute bloody last minute), and you'll end up feelin' like a genius.

School is only temporary, but age will stay with you forever. Don't allow trivialities such as exams and what-not to make you grow old before your time, ARG. When consumed by adolescent angst, remember the immortal words of Oscar Wilde: "Life is too important to be taken seriously."

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I feed off stress like the bee off of nectar.

My advice: don't worry. Indugle in pleasure. Procrastinate at a reasonable pace (and not at the absolute bloody last minute), and you'll end up feelin' like a genius.

School is only temporary, but age will stay with you forever. Don't allow trivialities such as exams and what-not to make you grow old before your time, ARG. When consumed by adolescent angst, remember the immortal words of Oscar Wilde: "Life is too important to be taken seriously."

I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

I usually stress out because I'm thinking about the enormity of a huge thing I have to accomplish. My coping strategy is to break it down into smaller tasks and reward myself when each stage is complete. So if I have to write a 5,000 word paper, I'll force myself to stay offline, and no tv or snacks until I have an outline written. Then I get a 15 minute break to surf message boards.

Then I have to write a 200 word intro, and after that I can have a popsicle. Then no other distractions until I have 500 words written, and so on, like that. It's ridiculous because I'm nearly 40 - I should be past the point where I need ice cream bribes. But I figure it's better to admit I'm immature and just use whatever works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blindart
    I usually stress out because I'm thinking about the enormity of a huge thing I have to accomplish. My coping strategy is to break it down into smaller tasks and reward myself when each stage is complete. So if I have to write a 5,000 word paper, I'll force myself to stay offline, and no tv or snacks until I have an outline written. Then I get a 15 minute break to surf message boards.

Then I have to write a 200 word intro, and after that I can have a popsicle. Then no other distractions until I have 500 words written, and so on, like that. It's ridiculous because I'm nearly 40 - I should be past the point where I need ice cream bribes. But I figure it's better to admit I'm immature and just use whatever works for me.
    I guess your waist thanks you that you don't have to write a long novel
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

lol, my popsicles are the Edy's 100% fruit ones, so it's not so bad as it sounds. And sometimes my "rewards" are a cup of tea or going for a bike ride - it's no good ruining one part of your life to get through another.

I don't stress that much....at least anymore. I used to when I was younger and then I decided it took way to much effort.
    Now I figure, if I'm dreading doing something...then do it now, the longer I put it off the more I'll just dread it.
    I know now I can't control anyone at anytime so I don't worry about other people's reactions or thoughts.
    There is nothing that time, food, or sleep won't cure sooner or later. (ok so there are some things that won't work on but most things look better after a nap and a meal)
    I'm not perfect, I can ask for help. I can give up if I decide to.
    And if all else fails, reading a good trashy book will help for a brief escape.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Supplements
    Last edited by tv_is_fake; 09-22-2003 at 07:47 AM.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    So when I'm in the working world, it's kinda lesser stressed than in school ?

Darn... So it's like more stressed in school than in the working world ?

I found out there's an even better way to not stress over school - Don't care about it.

I wanna enjoy my life while I'm still on this surface on this planet.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Ok. Enough of me being the only one that is so stressed... Is there anyone who needs help and needs the FORT-ers to help out ? Everyone will be so willing to offer a hand... And thanks to everyone and your advice !

The best thing to do is live in the present moment. Don’t generate an endless list of what if’s and potential outcomes. Because what if the worst thing happens? Well, you know what? You’ll handle it if it does. If the worst thing happens, you’ll handle it, and handle it then. Don’t worry about it until then, and if you want to worry about it, know that you’ll be able to handle it just fine if it happens. You (and I and everyone else) are incredibly resourceful, and we’re all amazingly equipped to handle anything unpleasant that comes our way. Remember, “this too, shall pass”. Everything that makes us ache today is really only a blip on the radar screen for tomorrow. What happens if you fail the test? You’ll handle it. What happens if work gets hectic? You’ll handle it. What happens if you lose a love? You’ll handle it. Just knowing that you’ll survive is something helpful, to me anyway.

And don't forget: Perfection is unnecessary. If we could all go back and fix all the things we've done that aren't perfect, we would, but is it feasible? No. And we'll probably do something imperfectly again anyway. I'm endlessly imperfect, and you kind of just have to be okay with that, and okay with falling on your face, if it happens.

Getting projects/studying done: The best thing to do is to focus on the smallest portion of whatever it is you’re working on and nothing more. Focus on the tiniest thing that brings you to your goal. Like, let’s say you had to rehearse for a piano recital. If you tell yourself that the only thing you have to do is sit at the piano bench, and not even lift a finger, it all feels more manageable. So you sit there. Then you tell yourself that all you have to do is a few warm up scales, you’re not even going to play your piece. So you do that. Then you tell yourself all you’re going to do is run through the first three lines. And you do that. And so and on so on until you work your way in increments through the process. Sometimes we have to trick ourselves into getting something done. And focusing on the tiniest thing you have to do right now, and nothing else, really helps. Giving yourself permission to quit at any moment somehow makes it seem less arduous, too, and you end up doing more anyway.
    Last edited by Shazzer; 09-22-2003 at 12:30 PM.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast