+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What are you going to be for Halloween?

Thank you, nausicaa! "Make Louvre Not Whorf" was my costume two years ago. Though as you said, it took a fair bit of thought, not one person (even among clever Star Trek fans) figured out the pun (even with generous hints). Oops.

As for the head of John the Baptist, I painted his face onto a stuffed paper "bag" and gave him a black hood. I added red and green yarn to his neck and glued him to a serving dish. Heheh. Salome was one of my costumes in college, inspired by Skinny Legs and All (not the Oscar Wilde play--though that seems worth checking out). It's too bad you weren't there, because I would've been all over the idea of rigging him up with recording devices. Together we could've gutted a Teddy Ruxpin doll.

I have no pictures of the Salome costume to show you. But here's a picture from several years ago. I went as the Y2K Fairy (she fixes your computer even after it blue-screens). The film from this roll got solarized, so the effect on the wings was quite interesting. (I made the wings out of wire hangers and white silk.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shayla
    Thank you, nausicaa! "Make Louvre Not Whorf" was my costume two years ago. Though as you said, it took a fair bit of thought, not one person (even among clever Star Trek fans) figured out the pun (even with generous hints). Oops.

As for the head of John the Baptist, I painted his face onto a stuffed paper "bag" and gave him a black hood. I added red and green yarn to his neck and glued him to a serving dish. Heheh. Salome was one of my costumes in college, inspired by Skinny Legs and All (not the Oscar Wilde play--though that seems worth checking out). It's too bad you weren't there, because I would've been all over the idea of rigging him up with recording devices. Together we could've gutted a Teddy Ruxpin doll.

I have no pictures of the Salome costume to show you. But here's a picture from several years ago. I went as the Y2K Fairy (she fixes your computer even after it blue-screens). The film from this roll got solarized, so the effect on the wings was quite interesting. (I made the wings out of wire hangers and white silk.)
    And you say you don't read, Ms. Shayla? Nay, I cannot believe it. You're one of the most literate and articulate posters on the FORT. (And nice photo, btw...)
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Thank you for the compliment! Well...I used to read.

FORT Fogey
    My little girl and her friend are going as thing one and thing two from cat in the hat and my boy friend and I are going as a deer and a hunter

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm going as what John is going as (the person that is pretending I'm not home).

There is a SLIGHT possibility that I might break down and hand out candy since Halloween is on Friday this year and thus does not interfere with Survivor.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Shayla, how do you come up with these things? The Y2K fairy? Ingenious! (And you looked so pretty in that photo, too )

Too bad you don't have pics of your "Louvre/Whorf" - I bet you made quite a sight. And no, not even Trekkies would be able to figure it out w/out major prompting, as it's quite a subtle pun you made there, and takes a major brain-leap to make the connection.

If you didn't tell me beforehand, I would be going "?????" And the only reason I even got the Star Trek reference is 'cause a few of my friends (a very, *very* select few - God forbid otherwise! - love Klingons and Borgs in general. )

Haeijin, People need to take all these slightly obscure, somewhat literary and definitely eccentric ideas and have a field day with them. Form a League or something, and terrorize the streets on Halloween....

I don't know what/who I'll be going as yet. Maybe Colette with looong whip-braids, sandals, and a cigarette in my mouth? But then I'd have to wear a wig/dye my hair. And I just *know* people are going to mistake me for a slightly wierd-looking Anne of Green Gables. :mad:

For a few years I was the guy sitting at the end of the bar hiding out untill Trick or Treating was over. Here in Columbus, they do it really weird. They have a Beggars night that is usually the day before Halloween. So this year all the goblins will be out on Thursday night from about 5:30 to 8:00 only They seem to think it cuts down on vandalism and keeps the little kids safe by not being out on Halloween!

FORT Fogey
    WE thought about sticking stuffed cats and dogs on an umbrella and going as raining cats and dogs...

~*Perfect Princess*~ Blazingorchidlv's Avatar
    Every year as a child i went as a baby or a witch. It was easy. One year I went as a chimney sweeper...got ratty long black hair...painted black on my face and clothes and carried a broom. This year I am going as a lady from The Renaissance era. Last year I was a security guard...my whole office did it and we borrowed shirts from the company that provides our security guard. And the year before that I was a scarecrow. I'm never very original. lol
    I swear the alcohol is coming out my nose

Ociffer...i swear to drunk i am not God...

Heheh. Thanks, nausicaa. Who is Colette? Do you mean the Les Miserables Colette? If so, you'll have to sing that song. "On my own...pretending he's besiiiiiide me..." And you'll have to do it in a whimpery high-pitched voice too

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast