+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father Sues when Son doesn't receive MVP

Father Sues when Son doesn't receive MVP

From ESPN.com

Father sues team for not naming son MVP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

TORONTO -- A Canadian father is suing the New Brunswick Amateur Hockey Association after his 16-year-old son failed to win the league's most valuable player award.

Michael Croteau is seeking about $200,000 in psychological and punitive damages from the association. He also demands that the MVP trophy be taken from the winner and given to his son, Steven.....
    There is more to be read by clicking the link above.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Does anyone think this man could actually win the law suit?
    In reading the article I agree that his sons stats were more impressive, but isn't there more to winning the MVP than that?
    I honestly don't know, so someone tell me

agentcarver
    MVP should go to the best overall player, not the best-playing one. Congeniality, respect for the league and the referees, and willingness to play fair should also be taken into account, but that's only my opinion.

I'm up here, and there have been murders and hits taken out when a parent disagrees with a referee's descision on hockey, so they should be glad...

To the father: STOP LIVING THROUGH YOUR KID, YOU SICK MAN!

Agent I agree with your qualifications of what goes into an MVP.

And yeah Pops, go play hockey your darn self!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    We're a sad society sometimes, aren't we?

I bet the son is mortified too.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

agentcarver
    The son will get over it, though Daddy Dearest is really pushing for the lawsuit as far as I can tell.

I can only imagine how he feels, and really would he even want the trophy knowing his dad had to sue in order for him to get it?
    My God, I wouldn't want that reminder around!

agentcarver
    True

"I didn't win MVP and all I got was this stupid trophy that my dad had to wrangle from the league by using the courtroom for a frivolous lawsuit"

This is pretty sad...

Further sadly, I have seen stuff just as bad in little league and it is getting just as bad in girls soccer. The common denominator though are these out of control parents who are trying to live their failed dreams through their poor children.

To me, stuff like this is the ultimate form of selfishness
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    A few of us were discussing this in All Things Hockey a few days ago. I agree with the folks that have ripped the dad - what a buffoon. I was listening to a radio program today called "Youth On Ice" that discusses youth hockey here in Colorado. The hosts were interviewing a youth organizer, and they were asking about his success in "getting back to basics"; working on skills - puck handling, passing, shooting, etc. He said that it is difficult to sell a program that emphasizes that over "traveling mites" - where the teams travel (sometimes several hours) to face other teams. His preferred approach would be to play more local scrimages, where the kids spend less time driving and more time on the ice. Why is it a tough sell? Because there are so many idiot parents that insist on playing games against teams from other regions, and they aren't interested in skill building - they're interested in winning - nothing else. It seems to me that any fool would understand that with better skills would come winning. More importantly, local scrimages mean more time on the ice for the kids and less time driving - which means more fun for the kids. And isn't THAT the bottom line?

I'm a hockey NUT, I freely admit it. And when my son is old enough to try skating, I'll give him the opportunity. And if he likes it, I'll give him the opportunity to try hockey. If he likes it and has fun, terrific, I'll be thrilled. If he decides he's not into it, no bid deal. As long as he's a happy, well adjusted kid, I'll be happy, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast