+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father Sues when Son doesn't receive MVP

Steven should sue his dad for $200,000 in psychological and punitive damages. The stupid lawsuit seems far more harmful than some MVP trophy.

Did little Steven deserve the trophy? I don't know much about hockey, but they only listed 2 stats (goals & assists). Those seem like very important statistics, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to the game than that. Defense? Teamwork? Leadership? Also, it's very possible that little Steven was able to pad his stats in blowout games. So stats can't be the only basis for an MVP.

On a similar note, I'm ticked as heck that Barry Zito beat out Pedro Martinez & Derek Lowe for the Cy Young Award. Barry Zito? Barry Zito? It just ain't right. Little Steven (actually, his dad) should learn that in real life, even in professional sports, you don't always get the respect you think you deserve.

To play devils advocate for a minute:

Sports are very much political battles in youth leagues.Often its not the best players that win the awards and honors but the kid with the most connected parents.I coach sports and see this happening time and time again."His dad sold more fundraiser materials and donated more money toward the team so i think he should get special treatment to keep him around" is something i hear all the time from league presidents and directors.

Without a more complete story than what we have been treated to how do we know that the dad is being a jerk and not sticking up for his childs rights?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

TVJunkie, I disagree. While I agree that we may not have the full story, we all know the old addage that "life isn't fair." We don't always get what we want, or possibly even deserve, but is this something really worth suing over? IMO, no. Think of the countless people who get passed over for promotions due to "office politics." Do they all sue? No. There are too many frivilous lawsuits clogging up our courts & wasting our tax dollars. IMO, this is one of them. Dad needs to pick his battles & find a real cause to fight for.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

agentcarver
    Bill: You a soccer dad?

Anyhow, I agree with Holly. I get to watch dreams get crushed from young minds every second of every day in my profession, and if I tried to help every one, I'd get fired because I'd spend all of my time meeting with parents or lawyers or in the courtroom and so on.

Originally posted by Wayner
    I'm a hockey NUT, I freely admit it. And when my son is old enough to try skating, I'll give him the opportunity. And if he likes it, I'll give him the opportunity to try hockey. If he likes it and has fun, terrific, I'll be thrilled. If he decides he's not into it, no bid deal. As long as he's a happy, well adjusted kid, I'll be happy, too.
    This is why you are a great dad Wayner.

My father was state MVP in Basketball, played some professional baseball, and is a general all around sports nut. He lived that life and wanted it for all of us kids. But he never pressed any of us to play any sports, or to play the ones he liked, he always stressed that it didn't matter what the sport was, it was how you represented yourself as a person that defined a good player.

Additionally, he voluteered to coach many a baseball and basketball team, and I was one of hundreds of kids fortunate enough to be coached by him.

He had a huge background and wealth of knowledge to share, and yet he routinely would get late night calls from parents wanting to know why little Junior didn't start, or got subbed, or generally wasn't a star, and these usually were pretty insulting calls from people who didn't know a 1/100th of what he knew.

I am very greatful to him. He taught me how to be competetive (it is foolish to believe that competition isn't everywhere) without being a jerk. While I didn't get a free college education for playing basketball like my younger brother, or the same for
    playing baseball like my older brother, you would be hardpressed to read any bias in how he raised all of us, and I got to introduce him to the joys of golfing

I think that's what dad's are supposed to be, and I've seen to little of that in recent years.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Originally posted by agentcarver
    Bill: You a soccer dad?

Nah,

I've played a lot of soccer in my life, and I have coached kids teams in the past.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

agentcarver
    Bill, your dad sounds GREAT! Wish this dad was as nice. (The dad in the article)

We all want what is best for our kids. We all want to be recognized for our efforts. In the real world that we live in, this does not happen in a way that everyone will find fair. We all have a different point of view. I trust that the committee that made the decision did so with a well rounded and well deserving player in mind. Even if they did not; this father is showing poor sportsmanship and pettiness. Though his son will learn about these things through this incident; it is sure the hard way. Good for the father for believing in his son and standing up for him when he feels he has been wronged. Poopoo on him for not being more selective in his battles.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I tend to side with Feif and Holly on this one. If the dad feels his son should have gotten the award, he should say "Son, I'm really sorry you didn't win MVP. You're a great hockey player, and I'm sure it was a really difficult decision for the league to make. I'm proud of you for how you're handling this disappointment, and I couldn't ask for a better son."

Instead, he's teaching his son that if you don't like the way something goes, you should get a lawyer. He should be ashamed.

BTW, Bill, thanks for sharing the story of your father - sounds like a terrific dad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12