+ Reply to Thread

Thread: People to People Program

People to People Program

Yesterday I got a letter saying that my 15-year-old son has been recommended for a "student ambassadorship" in the People to People Program. The letter included an invitation to an informational meeting next month. Apparently if he participates he will get to spend a month in Australia next summer.

I'm wondering if any of you know anything about this organization. I looked at their website and it seems legitimate and very impressive. However, I'm a little cynical after all the "invitations" we have received for our kids to be in Who's Who (for $75), and an invitation to represent NM in Washington DC (for $1200), etc, etc.

Any comments?

well Molly Rose I personally had a bad experience with them and pulled my son from his trip.

Now, having said that the 2 other kids from his school that went had a great time.

I had a problem with one of the adults that was to go on the trip with him, then her boss (the area rep), then the people in Spokane

If you have the money, and the adults seem reasonable (My son was one of 3 that dropped out because of problems with the woman, so I know I'm not completely out there). Then I think it could be a great program. They get to not only visit other countries, but get to do things that not many people would be able to do while there.

We decided to just send my son to Peru with his grandarents then to Holland to visit friends there. Winds up cheaper and we like the people he'd be hangin' with

So, I guess my advice is to go to the first meeting, and talk to the adults.

Oh, and for the record the trips cost around 5 grand
    It is an honor to be chosen though.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Thanks Cali. It sounds like this is a legit program, but they are clearly out to make money. Do you know if they have any scholarships or financial aid for kids that qualify?

I hate these organizations like "Who's Who" that make it sound like your little darling is being SOOOOO honored by being put in their book, then it costs you a bunch of money to get a copy. Bleh.

What?!? "Who's Who" was a scam?!? *throws out highlighted "Who's Who" collection from the late 80's*

When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Hey, I was in Who's Who once, I think. Maybe. Or was that a dream I had one time?
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

One of my penpals is part of People to People. She got to spend a month in Australia in August, a month in Europe August before last, and next summer she might go to China. Lucky ambassadors.

Depends on who your leaders are and where you're going. My daughter has received an invitation for the past two years (she's only 11). This year's invitation was to New Zealand. It's very expensive. I'm not going to let her go. I know two leaders who went to Australia this summer. I wouldn't trust either one of them to take my child around the corner, let alone across the world. Your son is 15, so if you decide to let him go, I'm sure he'll be ok.

yeah, it is expensive, but they do get to do things you will not be able to do as a regular tourist. They hgave "connections"

It also takes A LOT of time. There's the first 2-21/2 hour meeting, all sorts of paperwork, then a 2-21/2 hour meeting one evening a month for 6 months. (that doesn't sound bad, and it may not be, but for me it was ALWAYS on a night when my son or one of my other kids had to do something else).
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    Two of my good friends recieved one of them, and actually went on the trip. I don't know how they get your name, etc... I get better grades than both of them, and am in more activites, and did not recieve a letter, so I'm not quite sure what it's based on. It's a very good and fun program, and I highly suggest thinking about having your child take the opportunity. I think there may be a website, you should check it out.

+ Reply to Thread