+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane/Tornado Survival Stories

Hurricane/Tornado Survival Stories

With Hurricane Isabel approaching the East Coast, I was just wondering how many of you have survival stories of natural disasters to share? Hiding in the tub, huddled in a closet? How did you survive? Why didn't you leave, etc. Share your stories with us! Probably the worst I've been through was the blizzard of '78. Wasn't that big of a deal. Never lost electricity, had plenty of food, sayed in the house and watched t.v. What is your story?

I went out jogging once in a storm, cause I'm not so smart. It turned out to be hurrucane david, but I didn't know it at the time. I slipped on a wet twig and skinned my knee.

(It'll be really sad if nobody can top that.)

We were hit by a cyclone when I lived in Australia. We didnt have a bathtub or anything so we hid in the most windowless room but one of our windows broke soooo Mr Ducky ran out into the living room and quickly broke another before the roof of our house was ripped off. He cut his hand pretty bad breaking the window but he survived which is the important thing.

FORT Fogey
    Hey can we add Earthquake stories to this?? Okay.. so maybe I was only 5 months at the Loma Prieta Earthquake... but my dad was working in this really tall office building and my mom was freaking out about him until he called and said he was fine. My mom my brother and I were all on the highway at the time so we were just dandy.

Another time recently, within the last year or so, there was a smallish earthquake and my dad and I were watching TV and the cabinets started to shake. My cat started to go CRAZY. No damage on that one, but it scared me

We have a few very small earthquakes during school that you barely notice... and since we don't get them hurricanes and tornados here in CA, I can't say I have any stories about those.

blindart, thats too bad about your knee.

~*Perfect Princess*~ Blazingorchidlv's Avatar
    in vegas....we have....heat...thats all...120 degree weather! Fun fun right? Rain couple times a year! Never equals more than an inch all year probly lol.
    I swear the alcohol is coming out my nose

Ociffer...i swear to drunk i am not God...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    Hey can we add Earthquake stories to this??
    Sure, any kind of survival stories: flood, famine, disease. J-Lo concerts

Sometimes I put my cd player with nature sounds CD: Thunderstorm in it, and I turn it up loud and I get into the shower and put the water full blast on me and I close my eyes and scream, "HEEEELLLPP!!!! AAAHHHH!!"

why did that make me laugh so hard?

um, first I have to say when I first read your post Unklescott, I read "did you survive?" Whew, I need more coffee

no real story to add. We get storms here, but nothing all that bad. I did hide in the basement once with the kids and the animals when we were "told" to by the radio. Nothing happened though.

It's one fo those "root celler" type basements... have to get there from outside. Plus it has a dirt floor. uhg.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Leo
    Premium Member
    Disaster survival stories... got two, but they're pretty lame ones.

Once, back in elementary school, we had no classes on a particular day. It was a private school, and one of the high-ranking officials of the school had a birthday and he had been with the school for a while. So, on that day, there were relatively few people around. That turned out to be a good thing - on that very day, there was a pretty powerful earthquake. Then, it turned out that the main building had been damaged - sufficiently so that they had to add reinforcements in the next few months. If it had been fully occupied... who knows what would have happened.

The other one, about... six years ago. We had this tree very close to our house. Then, a typhoon struck. The tree turned out to have a bit of a termite problem - enough to cause it to fall. Good thing it fell one way, because if it fell the other way it would have hit our house.

2 close calls there Leo...Glad you're OK

I do have a Hurricane Hugo story... My grandparents live right outside of Charlotte NC. When Hugo hit they were laying in bed almost asleep. There was a crash in the living room so my Grandfather got up to check it out. My Grandmother got up to, but he told her to stay in bed. She refused and went with him to find a tree IN the livingroom. While they were checking out that tree one fell through the bedroom roof and ONTO their bed!

Scary stuff.

Now when you ask my grandmother when something happened it’s always “well, it was before Hugo, so it had to be…” or “it was after Hugo, so…”
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast