+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Sleeping Position Can Reveal Your Personality...

Your Sleeping Position Can Reveal Your Personality...

From the CNN website...

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Whether it's curled up in the fetal position, flat on the stomach or stretched out across the bed, the way people sleep reveals their personality, a British sleep expert said on Tuesday.

Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service and a visiting professor at the University of Surrey in southern England, has identified six common sleep positions and what they mean.

"We are all aware of our body language when we are awake but this is the first time we have been able to see what our subconscious says about us," he said.

Crouched in the fetal position is the most popular sleep pattern and favored by 51 percent of women, according to the results of the study he conducted for a large hotel group.

Fetal sleepers tend to be shy and sensitive while people who assume the soldier position, flat on their back with arms at their sides, are quiet and reserved.

Sleeping on one's side with legs outstretched and arms down in what Idzikowski refers to as the log, indicates a social, easy-going personality. But if the arms are outstretched, the person tends to be more suspicious.

The freefall, flat on the tummy with the hands at the sides of the head, is the most unusual position. Only 6.5 percent of people prefer it and they are usually brash and gregarious.

Unassuming, good listeners usually adopt the starfish position -- on the back with outstretched arms and legs.

Idzikowski, who identified the positions by comparing personality traits of people, their preferred way of sleeping and the most common positions, said once a sleeping style is adopted it is rarely changed.

"What's interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from what we would expect," he added in a statement.

hmmm, I guess I'm sometimes suspicious but easy going and relaxed too, as I'm a side sleeper with one leg bent, and one arm out and over the side of the bed.

Hubby is the "soldier" and is definitely quiet and reserved... except of course when he's not
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

cali

I sleep all kinds of different ways.
    I can't imagine anyone being able to sleep in a starfish position.
    "That's Numberwang!"

How about the person who tosses and turns all night? That's me. Maybe I'm indecisive.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I'm a freefaller. Yikes. I'm brash and gregarious. And unusual.

I guess I'm kind of "the log", socially easy-going. But I guess I'm kind of modified, because I turn the pillow sideways down the length of my torso, and then wrap my left arm around it with the hand under my head (under the pillow). Yeah, I'm weird.

What personality trait is expressed by those who sleep upside down, hanging from the rafters?

at John.

I fit into the "soldier" one. I'd say that I'm quiet and reserved, at least most of the time.

I sleep flat on my tummy. I guess I am sort of brash at times
    What a great article. Thanks for posting it!

Count me among the 6.5%. I've had both arms fall asleep at the same time while sleeping on my stomach before. That feels really ridiculous when you wake up.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    cali

I sleep all kinds of different ways.
    I can't imagine anyone being able to sleep in a starfish position.

My 3-yr-old daughter sleeps like a perfect starfish. She looks like she's just been faith healed and fallen backwards.

Unassuming? Ha! She's very bossy. Good listener? Only if you're measuring her selective hearing skills.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast