+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Remedies

Home Remedies

So, I'm sick. Not just a little stuffy, but full-blown disgustingly, irritatingly, nauseatingly sick. Sore throat, sinus infection, coughing, fever - the whole 9. It ain't pretty. I've been self-medicating with NyQuil and Theraflu, but the only thing that's worked for my sore throat has been gargling with salt water. This made me wonder what non-commercial secrets you guys have for when you get sick. Are you a hot toddy advocate? Do you make blender drinks with lemon and garlic? I want all your old wives' tales on home remedies.

P.S. Drinking NyQuil during the day is kind of tittilating - it's like being drunk, but not in an alcoholic kind of way.

Amanda I'm sorry to hear you're sick. I don't really have great home remedies except maybe gargle with salt water for the sore throat. It's gross but works.

Also, Nyquil has a good amount of alcohol in it. Probably why you are feeling drunk.
    Who shot who in the what now?

retired
    this is the one that works wonders, granny gave it to me and I have used it many times. Boil about 4-5 cups of water, add 2 tablespoons of salt, squeeze in a full lemon, 1 clove of garlic, a pinch of paprika, and some fresh ground pepper (approx 1 teaspoon). Drink it while it's warm. It works. This is my last post here, wonderful board, ... use this recipe it works.
    Last edited by eny; 09-16-2003 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Uh yeah hats ?

We always had hot black currant juice when we were sick. At least it tastes good and has plenty vitamin C. Also, other than colds, my grandmother has this recipe for skin conditions (really bad allergies, rashes etc), that is made by cooking together tar, honey and cream. It apparently works wonders, I just have no idea where to find tar in United States (I would need some now, I have a severe reaction to poison ivy).

I hope you feel better soon, and you could drink hot lemon tea, at least it gives temporary relief to sore throat.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Sorry you're feeling so awful, Amanda. I have no home remedies, but I do take a lot of echinacea in the liquid form (even if it were a placebo, at least it works for me).

The best stuff I've ever had is this vitaman C stuff called, "Emergen-C" And I just so happen to have a little packet sitting right next to me here (last week everyone at work around me was sick, i.e. physically. )

Those who I've forced to take it always feel better, and I know it works for me.

Here's what it says:
    Super Energy Booster
    Original Emer'gen-C
    1,000 mg Vitamin C as seven mineral ascorbates
    Fizzing Drink Mix, just add water

Dang, I thought I had the whole descriptor, but that must be on the box. But I'm tellin' ya, the stuff really works. A friend of mine turned me on to it, and I've been buying it at health food stores ever since. It's this little powder in a packet, and you add about 4 to 6 ounces of water, and it starts to fizz. No need to stir it. I always, always, feel better afterwards. Give it a shot.

Also, I love going to Jamba Juice and getting a Carribean Passion smoothie with an immunity boost (you can add a boost to each smoothie). Every time my Survivor fan friend gets it he takes it dramatically and says, "This...is for immunity."
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Drink lots of tea, it is great for most common ailments ... hope you feel better soon, being sick sucks

AmandaG, I swear by saline nasal spray. It clears the nasal pasages and conditions them as well. You can use it as often as you need because it is not medicated. Just make sure that you get the one with nothing but saline(possibly trace amounts of preservative). As always follow the directions on the package. I started using saline when I was pregnant with my son and could take nothing but Tylenol when I was incredibly bogged down with the flu. Never gave it up. I absolutely hate nasal spray, but I can put up with it for a minute to be clear the rest of the day. It helps with allergies too. Do not forget to have a piece of toast.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Hot tea, with a teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey.

That's straight from the Old Country... Chicago.

No, really... I got it from a Polish doctor in Chi-town who brought it straight from the motherland.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Green Tea will cure all your ills

These are all great, guys. Thank you! I'll have to try them - except maybe not the breakdancing guy's one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast